Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi !

We are considering buying a catamaran for the most common reasons people do ...

(no heeling, room inside, view from the salon, faster if not overloaded, etc...)

We (my wife and myself) want to leave for longer periods (a few months) or even switch to liveaboards.

What boat around the $50k mark do you think would be suitable?

We know the smaller boats will not carry much weight, a boat too big will not be easy to single-hand in case of injury of me or my wife (which can happen).

We have been looking for quite a while and know there will be compromises...

Things we would like :

- easy singlehanded

- good sailing capabilities (if this means working with centreboards, no problem...)

- decent size double bed (not the saloon table)

- shower inside or room to install one

- no too heavy, meaning we don't need to motor too much in light winds...

Things we don't like :

- the need to get back outside from the salon to enter the hulls (sailing in colder regions) (we know this eats up space in the salon)

- low nacelles, short steep waves = pounding

We don't like some designs even though they might be very practical...

We can live without standing headroom in the salon if this is what it takes... (but if we can stand there too, great !)

Some boats we have been researching... Sailcraft Iroquois (too bad the hulls are narrow meaning beds are too small to be called doubles), Suncat 30 (expecting feedback from seller), Hobart 900, Sea Cat34, some Prout's Quest31/33, Cité d'Aleth (inquiry sent, no feedback yet), etc...

Any other boats we should definetely look at ?

Any of these should be considered a no-go ?

Any hints on where to search for boats ? (been extensively looking on the internet but hints are always welcome...

Additional eyes : if you happen to see a nice one for sale somewhere we would appreciate you tell us !!!

Thanks for any input / feedback !!!!

Djeeke

Old 05-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Admiral

If you are in Europe - then suggest check this website to get a feel for what is available :-

HERE

In the meantime, tell us where you are located. What length of Catamaran - this measurement is often a major indicator of type.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks mmnetsea,

Yup, located Europe, Belgium...

(but can travel to see and buy a boat, I guess we coud sail it from anywhere to somewhere location is less of an issue, finding a good suitable boat is the quest)

Size, since we want to do extended cruising (not just weekends/week holiday) and even think of sailing across the Atlantic...

I guess we would love a 36/38ft but as we are limited by budget... (need to take into account maintenance afterwards as well)

Realistically, I think we will end up somewhere between 30 and 34 ft.

The biggest issue in going to small will be the carrying capability, we would want the boat very well equipped as can be expected for such sailing trips.

If they get too heavy they won't sail well, suffer bridgedeck slamming etc ...

On the PBM site you sent me, I see a Sailcraft Comanche 32 possibly within budget, will ask for info... If the size of the beds is similar to an Iroquois this is a no-go for our indended sailing trips (Iroquois berths are too narrow to call them doubles)...

Cheers !

Djeeke
Old 05-08-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
Admiral

How about checking the Yacht Clubs in the Netherlands -- here's a LIST

Also worth checking with Marinas in the Netherlands -- here is a LIST

As you are in Belgium - its not far to take a drive/s. Often boats will not be advertised but will be for sale. At around 37000 Euros - your search is likely to take some time.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
At around 37000 Euros - your search is likely to take some time.
I know, I've been looking for several months already, Netherlands, not far away indeed, visiting marina's eats a lot of time too, can not do many in one day... (My monohull has its fixed spot in Zeeland BTW ;-)

Somewhere, sometime will be right...

Did not get any feedback yet from PBM regarding the Comanche, will send a reminder soon ;-)

There are some boats around that could fit the budget (keeping some aside for refitting/outfitting) I am sending a lot of information requests out but am not getting much response...

But I keep on trying !!!
Old 06-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Per
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeeke View Post
I know, I've been looking for several months already, Netherlands, not far away indeed, visiting marina's eats a lot of time too, can not do many in one day... (My monohull has its fixed spot in Zeeland BTW ;-)

Somewhere, sometime will be right...

Did not get any feedback yet from PBM regarding the Comanche, will send a reminder soon ;-)

There are some boats around that could fit the budget (keeping some aside for refitting/outfitting) I am sending a lot of information requests out but am not getting much response...

But I keep on trying !!!
Hi My Name is Per and by coincidence I just red this. I am now the owner of the Comanche you have tried to get some informatoin about from PBM. The name of the Comanche is Kachina and we bought it in Toulouse South France in December 2006. We have sailed it to Denmark over to Summervacations and came to Denmark July 2008. We sailed via Canal de Midi up River Rhoen, Rhone Rhine and then Rhine. It is an absolutely wonderful boat which we will highly recommend, we have owned and sailed a Headly Nicols tri from 1978 to 84, a Hirondelle cat 23 ft. 84 to 94 where we bought a Iroquis cat in Stockholm. and then Kachina in 2006. I know that one Comanche is for sale in USA, one in Spain and one in France. Of course you may see my boat but that is a little long to go for you. I am the Chairman of the Danish Multihull Association and I suggest that you use: www.multihulls.dk and see some links to Multihull Club in Scandinavia because her you also can see some interesting boats.

You can contact me if I can help you futher: pem@vordingborg.dk

I wish you luck with your search

Per
Old 06-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Per
Ensign

Oh, I have after I have written my article searched PBM and I have seen that they actually just have got a Comanche on their list so... I hope you will hear soon from Patrick Boyd (Bill Bullimor)

Best wishes.

Per

Tags
catamaran