Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Hi all, I am in the position (still) of tyre kicking / drooling over the range of production cats on the market. My favourite at the moment is the Aussie Fusion 40 (hence the user ID). BUT I do not like the "peer thru the saloon or poke your head thru a manhole" helm position, still a feature of almost all cats designed in Australia. I am not sure the French have it right either, although the extreme aft, exposed position is where 95% of monos have there helm.

I would like to hear what others think.

Smooth seas and fair winds to all.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to gslabbert5119

Most of the newer Cats in the 35 to 50 ft range have the helm aft either starboard or port side (Lagoon 380) depending on the model, and 95% of the new Cats (French and South African) come with Hardtop Bimini's. Look at the Lagoon, FP and Catana and the Leopard, Voyage, Knysna, Privilege range and none of these require that you peer through the cabin. It is interesting though that all the Australian yachts seem to either be bow or midships helm or peer through the saloon. I have just returned from the Annapolis boat show and found this oddity . There were 3 or 4 newer yacht models from Australia at the show (Moxie 37 is one that immediately comes to mind) that are configured this way. There has to be a reason for the design feature as each line has been originally designed to best handle the local conditions of the orginal designer.

Personally I prefer the hardtop as it not only affords you some protection from the elements it also actually keeps the Helm and aft deck area cool, unlike the soft top Bimini that turns the aft area into a sweat box at times and the hardtop gives you a place for solar panels etc

Just one persons opinion.

https://BlueWaterCruising.com

https://photographybygavin.com

"Dwell on the could haves, we must not. Focus on the solution, we must...." -- Yoda --
gslabbert5119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
Admiral

Welcome to Cruiser Log's Multihull Club - thought the Fusion Cats were a New Zealand company's production designed by Kiwi designer, Gary Lidgard.

Their bridge deck clearance of 800mm is really to be commended - one wonders what it will be like with a full payload, this cat at 40ft comes in very light at under 6 tons displacement.

They have duel steering positions from which will assist getting into tight spots - although you will be sticking your neck out into the elements.

Only one serious criticism, is the double bunks - one person has to climb over the other.

Richard
Old 10-17-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Hi Richard,

I think you may have a differnet boat in mind, fusion40's are built in Queensland Australia, a Fusion one off NAMED New Zealand

features the twin helms as you say, this was a lighter weight "special build" there is also a boat named SHELLAC which has twin helms right back near the boarding steps,

cheers

Pete
Old 10-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
Admiral

Hi Pete, I think you will find that we are talking about the same catamaran.

My understanding is that builders may under license can build these boats outside New Zealand.

Here is the website of Fusion Catamarans NZ - CLICK

Have you checked out the Mystery Cove by Tony Grainger - that is one of my favourite cats.

Richard
Old 10-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

I would love to have a wheel on each side of the bulkhead for docking. I don't, so I live with this flaw of my boat. I back into nearly everything giving me perfect visibility of my entrance. I wouldn't let the lack of multiple wheels stop me from buying a otherwise wonderful vessel......BEST WISHES.....i2f
Old 12-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to captkev69

hi there

on my 30' cat I have twin tillers and on the next boat will have twin wheels ,my wife insists on it as she hates tillers.my old 43' cat had a wheel amidships and this was a pain when berthing single handed as the postion was high and the boats beam was 24' ,so I really had to jump around when berthing at a floating pontoon,I also found it easier to berth the boat by going astern into berths aswell for better visibility.2 engines also made this easier aswell,but I still tend to do this in some berths now with my current boat with its single centrally mounted outboard.one of my mates has a crowther spindrift 38' cat and whilst it is great being under the hard bimini it is a real pain in the *bad word here* to trim sails and berth with a single centrally mounted wheel .When we go sailing we tend to set the autopilot and then we trim the sails as best we can for the course.So it seems to be no matter what we all like ,what is the best compromise we personally want to make is the best way to go for our individual circumstances.IMHO the most ideal would be twin wheels where you stick your head out or the french way withthe wheels at the aft end of the cockpit with the lines led back for easier control by short handed crews and on passage engage the autopilot .There a some good remotes out there now ,so one could minor adjustments to both course and sail trim at the same time. kev
Old 12-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

Our helm is a foot to the right of the mast. Staysail, and main sheets withing reach. Both forward sails are easily seen, but the main is impossible. We had a window with it's own shade installed in the bimini. Makes adjustments to the main simple now.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Hi Pete, I think you will find that we are talking about the same catamaran.

My understanding is that builders may under license can build these boats outside New Zealand.

Here is the website of Fusion Catamarans NZ - CLICK

Have you checked out the Mystery Cove by Tony Grainger - that is one of my favourite cats.

Richard
Agreed, very nice set-up.

thats what you want, an easily driven hull with good clearence and little parasitic drag that does well in light airs.

nice layout inside too.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #10
Ensign

Home Port: Brisbane
Send a message via Skype™ to aking9999

Captain Kev

are you still on your Cat ?

Regards

Ashley