Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Ensign

A friend of mine is buying a Leopard 39' or 40' Catamaran, and said he wants to sail her for about 5 years, and then sell it to me. (If he does not I still plan to buy one myself, so my question remains valid even if my friend changes plans). My question is, it will be my wife and I that plan to sail all over the world, and the Leopard 39' and 40' owners models have three cabins. Well, it being just my wife and I, we do not need three cabins. Is it possible to modify one of the cabins into an office? I'm unsure as to how the boats are put together, so any information regarding changing a cabin into an office would be very much appreciated.

Fair winds to all.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Reaver View Post

A friend of mine is buying a Leopard 39' or 40' Catamaran, and said he wants to sail her for about 5 years, and then sell it to me. (If he does not I still plan to buy one myself, so my question remains valid even if my friend changes plans). My question is, it will be my wife and I that plan to sail all over the world, and the Leopard 39' and 40' owners models have three cabins. Well, it being just my wife and I, we do not need three cabins. Is it possible to modify one of the cabins into an office? I'm unsure as to how the boats are put together, so any information regarding changing a cabin into an office would be very much appreciated.

Fair winds to all.
Hi There! Welcome to this forum.

The Owner's version of the 39 should present no problem whatsoever.

The considerations will be :- which Hull? and once that is decided on (Head Access, Owner's privacy etc) Galley up model - a must) Then from a designer's requirements :- 'What weight is removed - no more weight to take its place !" If engine is located in the hull in question - how will it be accessed etc ???

Old 06-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Hi There! Welcome to this forum.

The Owner's version of the 39 should present no problem whatsoever.

The considerations will be :- which Hull? and once that is decided on (Head Access, Owner's privacy etc) Galley up model - a must) Then from a designer's requirements :- 'What weight is removed - no more weight to take its place !" If engine is located in the hull in question - how will it be accessed etc ???
Well, I would want to use either a Leopard 39' , Lagoon 39' or Catana 39' . It seems the front port cabin's bed in all models is a mold and could not be removed. But then again I'm not sure. I just want to take the bed stuff out and put a desk in. No further mod to the room is needed, I just want empty space there instead of a bed and bedding stuff. I have found one boat set up with an office (under 44 feet), and I've looked at hundreds of boats. The only one I've seen was on a 2001 Catana 43' Cat owners version. I want a 39' boat. Lower costs for haul out and slip fee.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:

Well, I would want to use either a Leopard 39' , Lagoon 39' or Catana 39' . It seems the front port cabin's bed in all models is a mold and could not be removed. But then again I'm not sure. I just want to take the bed stuff out and put a desk in. No further mod to the room is needed, I just want empty space there instead of a bed and bedding stuff. I have found one boat set up with an office (under 44 feet), and I've looked at hundreds of boats. The only one I've seen was on a 2001 Catana 43' Cat owners version. I want a 39' boat. Lower costs for haul out and slip fee.
Agreed on the 39ft - especially for those places that have fees that increase when the boat is 40ft.

As a multi-huller I can't see myself working down in one of the hulls (excluding sleeping, cleaning, repairing)

The Leopard 39s come in 3 versions - the Owners 3 cabin, the Mooring's 3 cabin for charter and the 4 cabin for charter.

The options for an 'office'

1. the Owner's version has a desk in the mid section of the starboard hull. 2.depending on the weather, the cockpit and

3. The saloon.

The forward Port cabin not really ideal for modifying into an office. For sure, it will be needed for storage of a thousand 'things'. The Aft Port Cabin is the only practical area that could be converted to an office - however, it would not be ideal insofar as losing the luxury of a good guest facility.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:

Agreed on the 39ft - especially for those places that have fees that increase when the boat is 40ft.

As a multi-huller I can't see myself working down in one of the hulls (excluding sleeping, cleaning, repairing)

The Leopard 39s come in 3 versions - the Owners 3 cabin, the Mooring's 3 cabin for charter and the 4 cabin for charter.

The options for an 'office'

1. the Owner's version has a desk in the mid section of the starboard hull. 2.depending on the weather, the cockpit and

3. The saloon.

The forward Port cabin not really ideal for modifying into an office. For sure, it will be needed for storage of a thousand 'things'. The Aft Port Cabin is the only practical area that could be converted to an office - however, it would not be ideal insofar as losing the luxury of a good guest facility.
Thank you for the replies. And yeah, guests are not an issue for me and the wife. How difficult would it be to convert the aft port cabin into an office? Her and I are both computer junkies, and having an office area that is away from the rest of the boat would be a nice break for us both.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:

Thank you for the replies. And yeah, guests are not an issue for me and the wife. How difficult would it be to convert the aft port cabin into an office? Her and I are both computer junkies, and having an office area that is away from the rest of the boat would be a nice break for us both.
Here is the 39 plan in which I have arrowed in blue a structural bulkhead which probably means that in the aft port cabin you will be able to remove the bedding etc but NOT the bulkhead - so that you would end up with a large flat desk (around 6' x 4' 6") with nowhere to get your legs under. A lateral thought :- one could make a step so as to get up on the new flat area and have desk etc on top of what was a double bed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leopard 39 Plan.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1729

The green arrow indicates an existing desk - that area could be added to with additional office requirements.

If this existing area is modified, then the Port Aft Cabin could also be modified to provide cupboards etc etc.

Maybe your best bet at this stage would be to contact Morreli or Melvin the designers at Caine & Robertson for their comments.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
Ensign

Quote:

Here is the 39 plan in which I have arrowed in blue a structural bulkhead which probably means that in the aft port cabin you will be able to remove the bedding etc but NOT the bulkhead - so that you would end up with a large flat desk (around 6' x 4' 6") with nowhere to get your legs under. A lateral thought :- one could make a step so as to get up on the new flat area and have desk etc on top of what was a double bed.

Attachment 1729

The green arrow indicates an existing desk - that area could be added to with additional office requirements.

If this existing area is modified, then the Port Aft Cabin could also be modified to provide cupboards etc etc.

Maybe your best bet at this stage would be to contact Morreli or Melvin the designers at Caine & Robertson for their comments.
Ok, thank you again for you help and replies.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cape Town

Hi CR,

The aft port cabin should be convertible to an office as the main bulkhead is well forward of the existing bed. If you are in the US, contact Kent Grimbeek of Just Catamarans (kent@justcatamarans.net) and he should be able to advise you of what can and cannot be done. Remember, the builders of the Leopard catamarans, Robertson and Caine, only build the boats to their two main layout plans. Any changes to the interior layout will void their warrantee and they will not get involved in any way – it has to be done by an outside contractor after a new boat is handed over. If it is a second-hand boat and out of warrantee, you can do whatever you want with it. Remember that the Leopard 39 is actually only 37’ 6” and was called the 38 when first launched. The Leopard 40 is 39’ 3” and is no longer produced.

John
Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post

Hi CR,

The aft port cabin should be convertible to an office as the main bulkhead is well forward of the existing bed. If you are in the US, contact Kent Grimbeek of Just Catamarans (kent@justcatamarans.net) and he should be able to advise you of what can and cannot be done. Remember, the builders of the Leopard catamarans, Robertson and Caine, only build the boats to their two main layout plans. Any changes to the interior layout will void their warrantee and they will not get involved in any way – it has to be done by an outside contractor after a new boat is handed over. If it is a second-hand boat and out of warrantee, you can do whatever you want with it. Remember that the Leopard 39 is actually only 37’ 6” and was called the 38 when first launched. The Leopard 40 is 39’ 3” and is no longer produced.

John
Hi John, Welcome back !! On your last delivery, at one point I thought you were on your way to Iceland!

Finally the 90 degrees hdg for the Med. Where did you get off the boat ?

Richard
Old 07-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #10
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=JohnT;1309468785]

Hi CR,

The aft port cabin should be convertible to an office as the main bulkhead is well forward of the existing bed. If you are in the US, contact Kent Grimbeek of Just Catamarans (kent@justcatamarans.net) and he should be able to advise you of what can and cannot be done. Remember, the builders of the Leopard catamarans, Robertson and Caine, only build the boats to their two main layout plans. Any changes to the interior layout will void their warrantee and they will not get involved in any way – it has to be done by an outside contractor after a new boat is handed over. If it is a second-hand boat and out of warrantee, you can do whatever you want with it. Remember that the Leopard 39 is actually only 37’ 6” and was called the 38 when first launched. The Leopard 40 is 39’ 3” and is no longer produced. (quote) John

Gooday cobber. You wouldn't by 1/2 be welcome-as-spring on any yacht that I was on, to be sure!! Your 'profile' posts are without doubt wonderfully informative & some of them down-right distressing & upsetting. However I do hope everyone that reads 'forums' takes time to read them & follow their 'links' through to the end of each subject. Like so many experienced sailors in these 'forums' (to many to mention & I wouldn't want to leave anyone out) your knowledge & experience is worth more than dollars & no doubt will save someones life. I thank you !!!

John, I'd like to start a subject in open 'forums' about the overall weight that a - 'safe' - cruising yacht' will need to carry - all-up - before leaving on an extended cruise - starting from a 'dry-boat weight' at the warf. I am hoping that many of the very experienced 'Skippers' in these 'forums' will come on-board and we can arrive at a list of goods/equipment/etc & especially weights that all consider to be in the list of - what is required for safe, reasonably comfortable & required equipment to have on board before casting off for a cruise. Part of my reasons behind wishing to explore this subject in depth is that - very few if any monohull or multihull designers/builders/sales persons make any "definative statement" as to just how much weight a vessel can carry & stay well within the bounds of the design safety parameters. As a matter of great concern to me personally is that most designers will not answer this - safe-weight carring ability - within design specifications question because they are to damn scared of any legal repercussions or some other imagined or perceived bull-dust reason which is to me a 'Gawd-damn' cop-out !!!, morally bankrupt & very irresponsible to say the very least. I'd sure like to get you into this discussion - having your 'limited' experience - of only 300,000 knm of sailing experience. WOW! Please come-on-board this one if you have the time & feel comfortable doing so ??? Ciao, 'jj-geri-hat-trick' PS That's a great 'profile' you've put-up in your 'bio' & Thanks again, james PPS Richard I do so hope this is how to open-up this subject? james
Old 07-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
Lieutenant

Quote:

Hi John, Welcome back !! On your last delivery, at one point I thought you were on your way to Iceland!

Finally the 90 degrees hdg for the Med. Where did you get off the boat ?

Richard
Hi Richard,

On the last delivery I put the right hand down way before I normally do as there was a "mother of all" fronts crossing the north Atlantic. I tried to get further north but was delayed a few days in Cape Verde. However, the day after we tacked we had good winds on the beam and then things started to die and we had very light winds all the way to my destination, Gocek in Turkey - we really had a small low following us all the way! Not a bad sail and the boat actually sailed quite well - it was hull #3 of the new 44 range.

The funny thing is that there were two other delivery cats on the same general route as myself, both going to Greece, that departed Mindelo on the same day as I did. They decided to push further north and had to eventually sit in the Azores for two weeks waiting for a weather window to make east. I was home for two weeks before they even arrived in Greece!

I am getting another 44 ready for delivery to Tortola, departing around the middle of the month.

John
Old 07-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Raven View Post

I'd like to start a subject in open 'forums' about the overall weight that a - 'safe' - cruising yacht' will need to carry - all-up - before leaving on an extended cruise[/size][/font]
Hi James,

No problem on my side other than I am not very often able to access the net and participate in discussions - I must admit that being "at sea" has its magnetic attraction, although my better half does not look at it that way any more. She retired from her travelling job last year and now thinks I should settle down on land as well. I am off on another delivery in a few weeks time and then should be anchored ashore for a couple of months before taking a couple across the pond to Trinidad around mid October. So, I will try to have some input before I go, if you start the thread.

Hey, like the bird - how many do you think it would take to make a tasty pie? (Never had one of those land on the boat whilst at sea). Hi Hi.

Regards, John
Old 07-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post

Hi James,

No problem on my side other than I am not very often able to access the net and participate in discussions - I must admit that being "at sea" has its magnetic attraction, although my better half does not look at it that way any more. She retired from her travelling job last year and now thinks I should settle down on land as well. I am off on another delivery in a few weeks time and then should be anchored ashore for a couple of months before taking a couple across the pond to Trinidad around mid October. So, I will try to have some input before I go, if you start the thread.

Hey, like the bird - how many do you think it would take to make a tasty pie? (Never had one of those land on the boat whilst at sea). Hi Hi.

Regards, John
G'day 'JohnT' - the delivery guy. Bird's a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo - female - 39 yrs old - very vicious - bites everyone except me - she's now gone missing - was 2nd biggest Sulphur recorded in Australia. Normal size 700ml wing span by 850 grams - 'Pickie' was 1450ml wing span & weighted 1.47 kilos & rod my horse better than I did. She got a big fright & took flight & I'm missing her 'big-time' !! If it takes 3 to 5 English quail or 2 to 3 Chinese quail to make a meal I'd take 1 to 1 1/2 of her but the rock would be tender first I think. Oh & thanks for your good humour. It's a bit like Bob's (Lighthouse) & your both from SA. I'll put the prawns & snags on the barbie & make sure the beer's are on ice (& champers also) if I could just get my girl to fly home.

North is both 'magnetic' & 'true' & the sea is both - especially 'true' but always magnetically so. It won me 66 years ago & I'm still in love with sailing. I've tried for 12 years now to get this bloody 14 acre tropical rainforest property to - 'go to windward' - & still no luck. My advice is - DON'T try it - It doesn't work. If you've got 'salt-water' in your veins - it never ever mixes satisfactorily with dirt. You just get salty-mud which is no good for anything !!!!!!!!!! Nothing grows - especially not your soul & dreams.

Now, that's the start. Next - Richard - there we are/go - - I've tried it & still think it - - 'sucks' big-time - so unless I suffer the fate of 'stealth' - I go back to the following & time will see if I get to stay in such great company. I sure hope so. However nothing gained . . . & I've never been a follower in my whole life & to darned old to start now.

Back to you JohnT. I do hope you'll add valuable comment to the up-coming subject as I hope many others will also. Your knowledge - in all sea conditions will be without 'peer', thanks. Ciao, james - well at least for now ????