Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Admiral

Having the real benefits of a wide platform is just one of the great advantages of a Multihull.

But ! There comes a time when the craft has to be taken out of the water for whatever reason.

There was a time in Hong Kong when the only place to slip a Catamaran with a beam of 26'3' was at Simon's slipway in SaiKung in the New Territories - just to find the place hidden amongst a fishing fleet was a difficulty of 9 on any Boy Scout's scale. Once there, Simon and his family workers stood at the centre of the rails that led out of the water. From my perspective - My Cat was NOT going to fit !

The Workers ignored me, walking into the water either side of the Cat - then diving - pushing and shoving, then a signal - and the cat was slowly hauled out on her trolley into the shipyard - One of the dirtiest - but most efficient haulouts ever experienced by this cat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebac_travel_Lift.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	599

Later, when I needed to work below the water line - used a technique that is easy when a travel lift is too narrow, or when beaching would not work for the purpose. Purchased 2 flat 5" wide nylon slings - each around 20 ft long. Then, if work was required on the port hull - one sling would be slung under the port hull just aft of the bow, and the other would be slung under the port hull just forward of the port transom. Then every movable object secured in the Cat - the Starboard hull kedged off to starboard. Slings attached to Spreader Bar and the yards Crane would lift the port hull sufficiently out of the water for the work to be completed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Big_Cats2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	598

Old 08-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

LOLOLOLOL,

I can't imagine any yard in the USA lifting only one hull for work. Lawsuits have brought that kind of thinking in the USA to a halt......i2f

Old 08-31-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
Admiral

What a pity, innovation, ideas and different ways of doing things are being killed off by lawyers!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to captkev69
Hi

I experienced the same problem and found a very easy solution was to purchase truck inner tubes ,4 of them were sufficent to lift my old 43 foot 8 ton cat up high enough on a secluded beach to re antifoul and service the sail drive legs .My best mate and I then bought another 4 of the same so we could do his boat my okd boat had mini keels and his has dagger boards .Getting the tubes in position was lots of fun but well worth it afterwards .We did this in Moreton Bay about 7 years ago but the E.P.A would jail us now I am sure .When we did this there was also not too many slipways or travel lifts that could handle cats at th time and those that could wanted your first born just to get you and then charged you a small countries national to stay there.Happily now this situation has changed for the better and the only problem now is trying to get in somewhere due to the large number and growing of cats here in southeast queensland.I hope this helps you out somewhat .

kevin