Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Montreal
Default Need suggestions for a wheelchair accessible catamaran

Hello everyone. My brother has multiple sclerosis, and is confined to a wheelchair. We are both avid sailors. He has been sailing a Martin 16 in Toronto, but we want to look into a catamaran which could be made wheelchair accessible. We would need a catamaran with a fairly large salon, and where the outside deck, cockpit and saloon are all at the same level. We are not concerned about making the hulls accessible, unless we design and build something for disabled access.

I have seen photos of a CSK 53' cruising catamaran, that appears to have deck, cockpit and saloon on the same level, i.e. no ramps required to get around on the boat. Has anyone seen this boat? Are there other boats that I should look at that meet our requirements?

Old 10-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE We would need a catamaran with a fairly large salon, and where the outside deck, cockpit and saloon are all at the same level.

We have a good mate who has been an avid yachtie all his life but after an accident two years ago is also wheelchair bound with no movement from the chest down, great arm movement after extensive therapy but no hand movement. Together with his friends we have almost completed a total van conversion to enable him to drive once more and have also been looking at getting him back on the water. We have a terrific organisation in Queensland that run sailing for the disabled and they have been extremely helpful in supporting us in our endeavours with advice and contacts for getting our mate afloat. At present we are modifying a 21' Hartley Trailer sailor and a portable crane we can use to swing him out from the wharf and lower him into the helm position but I get the impression you and your brother are looking at more extended cruising.

That being the case, I'd suggest you look at the Crowther catamarans as we have another mate with a Crowther 40 and have been successful in using a winch on the boom to lift Don out of his chair and onto the deck. A number of Crowther Cats have a single level deck and saloon which have made it extremely easy for wheel chair access.

Good luck with your endeavours and we wish both you and your brother fair winds and happy times afloat.

Mico/Australis

Old 10-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: No Worries

Have a Google search for a catamaran called "Impossible Dream". This was designed for a disabled sailor. It was for sale recently but may give you some ideas on what can be done or what to look for in a different cat. My father had MS so understand the need to go sailing

Tags
catamaran