Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
son
Ensign

Home Port: saltspring island
Default once uv gone multi, u dont go mono

Iv sailed and owned, alot of pigs, sluggin at -2 knots on average, and the southern gulf islands bc, is not the best place for sluggy scows,
but now i have my old trimaran back after 8 years, long story, anyway shes a kismit 31 extended 33, heavy as hell, but iv surfed some narley waves, and ill take the heavy in that case, but i do have the " 50 foot itch of light tri syndrome" and the only cure for this syndrome is curing poverty,lol livin the dream

Old 07-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: Nuuk
Vessel Name: La Gitana

Ok - point taken. I've owned several Piver's - wouldn't go around the dock looking for another. I'll stay with my 18m gulet for the time being or until I find something better.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
son
Ensign

Home Port: saltspring island
Default tru

I hate pivers,lol, i own a kismit, its like a cat when sailing, no two ammas are soaked at once, we could all get hard core into multihull sailing cuz im too pooor,lol, i kinda like the heavy tri, i feel safer but im slower,lol, almost water ski! peace out from canada man!
Old 07-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I only ever had one multihull. It was a Piver 32. Unlike many, it had been professionally built, not cobbled together with cheap panels in some hippie's backyard. It was quick, stable, easy to sail both on and off the wind, but always it was far more difficult to tack than a monohull.

The accommodation for a 32 footer was woeful. Even on a friend's 45' tri, the living space (unless you want to spend most of your time asleep), was terrible. For coastal or shallow water voyaging it is a cheaper option than a catamaran. If you are a multihull sailor I can sort-of see the attraction of a tri, especially for day sailing in shallow water.

But, in reality it is a skinny monohull with training wheels.

I respect the reasons why people choose to sail multis, and I don't discredit those who are committed to the catamaran/trimaran design. I, however, remain a devoted fan of the onemaran especially when it comes to offshore passage making.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Home Port: the boat
Vessel Name: Skipping Stone

I sailed a Brown Searunner 37' from Pago Pago to St. Thomas, westward. It was definately one of the finest sailing vessels I've ever sailed and certainly the safest; it couldn't sink! We sailed through gales and even a hurricane in the Indian Ocean, without any problems. She was extremely livable below, after all, Brown designed them as family ocean cruisers.
The guys at the Suez canal said we were the first multihull to have made the trip all the way up the Red Sea under sail, but I don't know this for a fact.
Though I loved the boat, when it came time to buy my "last" ocean cruiser, I went back to a mono. I wanted all the comforts of a 50' mono w/ generator, air, watermaker, etc. With all roller gear and electric winches, I can single hand this Pearson more easily than any other boat I've ever been on.
So at least one multi sailor has gone back to a mono, though I do think of the great times I had sailing oceans on a 5 ton stable platform from which to set my sails, once in a while.
facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is offline   Reply With Quote