Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
Commander

Well, it is not a cruising boat, just a 4.2m catamaran I am toying with. Just don't know better place to ask.

I have redesigned her deck, and it is now smaller than the previous version. I want to keep her small so it can be cartopped, but with the current configuration I have no good ideas on where to place deck equipment. (And maybe I should scale down even this size.)

She would be dismantled for transport into the following parts:

- deck. it is 1.6m x 4.2m now

- two hulls

- the deck support (the "X" below the deck) in two parts

I plan not to use boom, maybe I utilize a small flexible beam instead (or nothing).

The deck hardware is shown in its last place, midair.

Click image for larger version

Name:	v2.png
Views:	9
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1264

Any good ideas about the placement of deck hardware?

I would be glad for any other idea or criticism.

I was not able to upload the freeship and dxf drawings, I am willing to send them to anyone interested.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Admiral

Have you found Woods Designs, which sells plans for building your own catamaran? Woods Designs

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
Have you found Woods Designs, which sells plans for building your own catamaran? Woods Designs
Thanks Jeanne, but I intend to design it for myself, even if I admittedly don't have a clue. It is one of the fun parts.

In the meantime I have decided to put winches on the "legs".
Old 03-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Admiral

How big is this boat going to be?

SY WATERMELON |

Old 03-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
How big is this boat going to be?
Around 4m in length.

It is a modified version of the vessel you have seen in http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/ind...howtopic=14853

Improvements include:

- made more top heavy

- reduced sail area to make is much slower

- reduced deck area to make it impossible to accomodate crew and/or deck hardware

- smaller gap between deck and mainsail, as part of the "get rid of the crew" regime

- considerably increased weight everywhere

(In other words I have lifted deck and made it narrower to get it out of the way of waves and make it nearer to possibility of cartopping. Tried to shorten the mast to make point of attack on sails lower, and make it closer to cartoppable (still too long though). Increased the length to get greater hull speed.)
Old 03-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Admiral

So why do you need winches?

SY WATERMELON |

Old 03-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Admiral

Here's our late friend's 4m catamaran. No winches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacques.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1265

SY WATERMELON |

Old 03-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
Commander

[QUOTE=JeanneP;41256]Here's our late friend's 4m catamaran. No winches.

Attachment 1265

Thank you for suggestions. Unfortunately I can't see the running rigging in this picture.

We may have a language barrier here, or it is just my dumbness. I try to go down to basics to ensure understanding.

As I understand I would need some points where I can make the ropes from sails turn around. As far as I know these are in most cases cylindrical objects called winch.

I also need some points where the rope is fixed to the deck. As far as I know they are called cleats.

In my design the points where I would put those cylindrical objects are in thin air, so I am looking for alternative points.

You might have suggested another approach to handling running rigging. If you did, please explain.

Sorry for being dumb.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Admiral

I'm sorry, you're not dumb, I am for forgetting about the confusions of various languages.

Here's a link with some of the terms you might need: http://www.dwyermast.com/sparterms.asp

On our friend's boat, his crew are on a trapeze to provide moving ballast. These fellows (Jacques, the skipper was in his 60s when this picture was taken), were racing in the Hawaiian Tropic Offshore Regatta. One of the wildest June weekends we remember. So much wind it was scary. A lot of work for these fellows.

Sorry. I just can't resist reminiscing.

Do you have the opportunity to check out how the various hardware is rigged on other multihulls? I think it would be very helpful for you. I don't seem to be able to find a site with specifications, and over 4 meters a 100 cm error in placement is relatively larger than the same mistake on a 10m cat.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 03-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
Commander

Thank you, I am back to drawings.