Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Ensign

Found this whilst looking for a Catamaran to buy - not quite what I would take my family cruising on - reminds me of sailing a twin mast home-made boardsail (made from 2 windsurfers) in the early 80's...

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1970...Ostsee/Germany

Old 08-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Commander

Quite a find! I think the sails cost $55k (US) and they throw the boat in for free!

Going down wind you can sail wing on wing on wing on wing on wing on wing. I think I left a couple out. Great find!

No breadfruit can be reached when the picking stick is too short.
Spike_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

In a word: No.

First glance says "too many masts, too many bits of string". Then you dig around a bit and find that the smaller individual sail areas and generally lighter air pressure on the sails makes for easier individual handling. Also you have less overall weight aloft when you're short sailed, and possibly greater stability (given that it's a cat, about as good as you can get).

Then once you've been aboard for a bit you'll really start to see the disadvantages. The first will be the inverted wishbone rigs which really do give you too much weight aloft. Then there are just the sheer number of halyards and sheets, all of which have to be individually controlled through their own winches or clutch sets, the continual shifting of sheet from one winch to another and the mess of fiddling about you have to do. Then there is the lower overall sail area which will cost you speed in comparison to a similar sized sloop/cutter rig.

What you'll find in terms of taking the family sailing on this thing is that the folks will get in your way as you have to adjust all of that string. Then the wind picks up, you have to reef or hand 2-3 sails in a hurry while you have a novice at the wheel, and it all goes pear shaped.

A boat like that can be successfully and easily crewed by 3-4 folks who know what they are doing, or one person alone who really knows what he or she is doing, but with one person and a bunch of folks standing about holding champagne cups it'd be a nightmare.

As a counter-argument to the "many small sails make light work" argument I would put forward Graham Radford's design for a 12m cat rigged performance cruiser, here: http://www.radford-yacht.com/dsn070/dsn070.html
Old 08-18-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
Ensign

I would also want to know.