Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Ibo Island
Vessel Name: Away
Default what are the negatives of your multihull

I own a Catalac10m and am like all boatowners inclined to boast about my present cat, i ask contributors who own and actually live or lived aboard their cat, actually sailed it more than 5th nm, to resist the praising and give us the lowdown

I will start, my Catalac34 build in 1987

yacht build features
- leaking alu windows, take out part easy to break, aluminium after many years prone to small leaks
- helm position very poor view forward
- hydraulic steering gives little feedback to helmsman
- lack of good seat from where to monitor seaway
- old interior difficult to keep clean mostly the ceiling with discolored imitation leather
- the deep bilge showerwater catchment affects the hull structural fibreglass stringers, needed to lay up again
- electricity control panel mounted direct above the bilge part acting as showerwater sump thus leading to messy corroding of all contacts
- poor charging with car alternators on the ancient 2cylinder yanmars that only boast 16hp, after mounting high rate 80Amp Balmars, engines have only 12hp left to prop
- stainless steel freshwater tanks no subdivision so lots of sloshing noise by wtaer, the tanks very small cap only 150liter each, parts of thin SS perforated and slowly leaking
- someone added keels, bolted to original keel, slow seepage of seawater via bolts, after sitting on sand bolted keels damaged, this on cat that gets its sea going safety from slipping sideways off waves with its unique original V-hulls instead of tripping and likely capsizing
- 12V freezer compartment built ubder the aft berths inaccessible, the compressor located in starboard engine compartment ancient
- the floor in the hulls bends under my weight, ok i am 110kg (elegant mind you)
- interior wood strong but finish damaged by varnish and poor polish
- lewmar hatches leak with old rubber seals, springs to keep in open position soft
- freshwater pressure pumps for freshwater tanks ancient system
- totally rusted non-gimballed stove with oven
- no security safety on gas system
- only one head, tru-hulls frozen in open position
- old watermaker rotten

yacht performance
- difficult to tack when less ideal sea state
- original engines lack power to push yacht off lee coast when pressed
- yacht prone to make lots of leeway because of high windage and shape hulls

am i selling the catalac, NEVER

Old 04-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Ensign

ofcourse i forgot lots of negatives

- short waterline
- small beam not great when get waves on beam
- poor diesel intakes, water can get in
- heavy rudderstocks noisy when anchored as they have play
- no way to fix rudder, helm in one position by lack of non-return valves in hydraulic system
- solid foredeck so no trampoline to relax on while seeing water flow between hulls
and risk of bow digging into wave and slow recovering which might lead to waves keeping bow under, small deck area so amount of sea water that breaking waves might dump on it probably negligable
- design overall not as sexy as post 2000 cats
- saloon table will need to serve as chart table as the portside downhull nav station too small to open charts
- single sink in galley
- the wood in the head prone to rot, mushroom growth
- covers of down hull floors dance loose in big seastate, i almost broke leg stepping into deep bilge tru carpet hidding the trap

i am sure to come up with more
where are those members who know their cats negatives

to think i intended to keep this cat only three years

Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
Commander

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Gone Troppo

Hi gunkholer,
All boats are a compromise so we tend to choose the one that suits us, and so one skippers negative may be anothers positive. Also negatives may be just a result of a lack of maintenance or money.
Speaking of money, the maintenance/running cost of my cat is a negative for me. Although I mostly enjoy working on my boat, sometimes the sanding and anti-fouling is a big negative!
But if there were no negatives to grumble about, it would mean I didn't have my wonderful escape machine that has allowed me to escape the rat race.
My boat is a Windspeed 36, launched in 1986, and I love her nearly as much as my wife.
Happy Sailing

Stephen

Crowther Windspeed 36

www.gonetroppo.org
GoneTroppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

Red face Troppo values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneTroppo View Post
Hi gunkholer,
All boats are a compromise so we tend to choose the one that suits us, and so one skippers negative may be anothers positive. Also negatives may be just a result of a lack of maintenance or money.
Speaking of money, the maintenance/running cost of my cat is a negative for me. Although I mostly enjoy working on my boat, sometimes the sanding and anti-fouling is a big negative!
But if there were no negatives to grumble about, it would mean I didn't have my wonderful escape machine that has allowed me to escape the rat race.
My boat is a Windspeed 36, launched in 1986, and I love her nearly as much as my wife.
Happy Sailing
Gooday 2-U-2 Gail & Steve. How far have you got? Home yet? Been off the computer. 4 super lightening strikes to house since Dec. Bugger - expensive, costly - time consuming. Would have bbq'd a yacht to toast for sure. Worst by far than anything I've ever deen through x's 20.

Hope your well & have safe passages, fine weather & a few 'sundowners'. If I can get 'all my ducks to stand in a row' I'll catch-up for a nosh & a tinny or 4. Ciao, james
Old 04-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
Commander

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Gone Troppo

G'Day James,
We are in Northern NSW and haul the boat out this week for a 6 months refit. Will try and update the website when we get settled. Hope to head off again next year into the IO again. Good luck with the new boat.
Regards,
Steve

Stephen

Crowther Windspeed 36

www.gonetroppo.org
GoneTroppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Ensign

Hi gunkholer!

Interesting thread! Makes you thinking about sorting the problems, upgrading and more work ....

Since 2008 I own a 10.2m one-off Dutch built cat built out of western red cedar and foam. Twin dagger boards, one central lifting rudder, one engine with twin hydraulic drives. I sail her mostly singlehandedly.

What can I say after nearly 4 years of ownership and work on her? Here are some of the major negative points:
- Windows were leaking, sorted.
- Rudder fixation on the transom: sorted. Lost the rudder once and nearly a second time.
- Daggerboard: One daggerboard dropped too low in the casing whilst in harbour and subsequently dropped out, sorted with a knot in the line.
- Mast fixation points: needs interior strengthening to bulkheads, plan made and on the soon work list.

Otherwise I would call all other work normal maintenance or upgrading / improving.

As far as I can see I'm 90% where I would like my cat to be for me.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
Hi gunkholer!

Interesting thread! Makes you thinking about sorting the problems, upgrading and more work ....

Since 2008 I own a 10.2m one-off Dutch built cat built out of western red cedar and foam. Twin dagger boards, one central lifting rudder, one engine with twin hydraulic drives. I sail her mostly singlehandedly.

What can I say after nearly 4 years of ownership and work on her? Here are some of the major negative points:
- Windows were leaking, sorted.
- Rudder fixation on the transom: sorted. Lost the rudder once and nearly a second time.
- Daggerboard: One daggerboard dropped too low in the casing whilst in harbour and subsequently dropped out, sorted with a knot in the line.
- Mast fixation points: needs interior strengthening to bulkheads, plan made and on the soon work list.

Otherwise I would call all other work normal maintenance or upgrading / improving.

As far as I can see I'm 90% where I would like my cat to be for me.

Hi MS6, indeed you grasped why i launched this thread, dont forget i also launched positives of your multihull thread, because you guessed it
likle all yacht owners am always ready to praise my tub,

i actually now think shes beautiful