Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #15
Ensign

Thanks Richard, good article and good answer

Old 11-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #16
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslabbert5119 View Post
Folks when is a Catamaran too old to circumnavigate? I am very handy and can repair most things, yet my wife insists that we buy a Cat that is 2006 or newer. ...
I thought the same as your wife and brought a new boat. Now, I'm very pleased with her BUT I could have brought a 10 year old boat and after refitting as you outlined I would have had an extra US$160,000 in the cruising kitty!!!! Now running short of 'cash cushion' I rather wish I had gone down the 10 year old route. True, my boat is 'more modern' and is a long term home so maybe in the long run I made the correct decision, but it is something to consider.

In terms of additional maintenance, I don't think age makes that much difference, things need maintaining and stuff goes wrong. What sort of cruising are you anticipating doing? I ask because people always talk about 200nm days. Sorry, but in a loaded live-aboard cat in the 40ft range that is nonsense, in the real world. My boat can touch 12/13kts on a broad reach in a F5/flattish seas BUT that's with virtually no fuel, virtually no water and no stores/books/toys onboard. In the real world, same conditions 6 ~7.5kts. I accept my boat (Broadblue 385) is designed for load carrying rather than speed, but for Tradewind sailing I reckon on 140nm per day max (sometimes better ) but I base my provisioning on 120nm per day and then add on 50% for emergency stores.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #17
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to gslabbert5119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbridge View Post
I thought the same as your wife and brought a new boat. Now, I'm very pleased with her BUT I could have brought a 10 year old boat and after refitting as you outlined I would have had an extra US$160,000 in the cruising kitty!!!! Now running short of 'cash cushion' I rather wish I had gone down the 10 year old route.
200nm days, geez, really doubt that would be realistic for us, for me more realistically 120nm days would be a target, the same as yours. Besides, what the hey is the rush, the only thing that I know that is slower than sailing is walking. I have never understood rushing around the world to say that I have been around the world. You end up with I went sailing to see the world and I ended up seeing the sea.

The intention is to cruise the Caribbean for a few years, then Galapagos, then to Hawaii via Clipperton island, after that who knows, may take the great circle route, we may just sail around the south Pacific until we are old and contented (oh forgot, we are already old).

I have no goal to do a formal circumnavigation, however if we end up where we started by going west then so be it. Essentially because I have family in New Zealand, Australia, and in numberous coastal towns in South Africa we may end up sailing around the world, but that is not a goal. All I want to do is enjoy my retirement and old age with my wife. To me each country has so much to offer and taking 5 or 6 years to see it all would not be enough.

http://BlueWaterCruising.com

http://photographybygavin.com

"Dwell on the could haves, we must not. Focus on the solution, we must...." -- Yoda --
gslabbert5119 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, circumnavigate