Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crew Positions Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Lake Tahoe, California
Default Crew for You!?!?!?

I'm looking to crew almost anywhere. I'm available anytime after Dec1, 2012. I have sailed in BVI & California, also cruised on a pvt yacht in Alaska a few times. I am strong, physically fit, smart, hard working & a quick learner with a good sense of humor, though I have no serious boating experience. AND, I have no baggage or drama. I live in the Sierra Nevada mnts of N. California. I work as a massage therapist in Washington DC 3-4 months a year, I also have years of restaurant experience. I have visited many different countries, I love traveling, meeting people, & just being active & adventurous! I am respectful, mature, & love living life to the fullest. One of my dreams I've yet to fulfill has always been to live/work on a vessel. So if you are looking for an easy going, free spirited, hard working, fun person to crew please email & lets see if I am a good fit for crewing for you this coming winter. Thank you for your interest, hope to hear from you soon Cindy

Old 08-17-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: the boat
Vessel Name: Skipping Stone
Default crewing

Though we are not seeking crew at this time, I thought I might mention a few things that might make it easier for you to secure a berth.
I think it would be a good idea to get your stcw certification now before you get a berth & need it in a hurry. Your passport w/ extra pages too.
There is a neat little book on sailing, called Royce's Sailing Illustrated, which I used to learn the basics of sailing in the 60's and still ask all my crew aboard Skipping Stone to read. Fun & informative.
I would suggest that you plan to be available mid-Octoberish as most boats leave for the Caribbean from the East Coast in November.
Do not under any circumstances, when filling out the crew forms on the free web-sites put au-pair. This is a position for only the laziest girls that want to sunbathe, not participate as a crew member. I would NEVER hire anyone who put that as one of the positions they were interested in as a crew. If an owner needs an au-pair they would go through an agency, not hire some un-referenced person to care for their children.
If you feel that you could produce good, healthy meals in a kitchen that was scribing silly circles through space, then apply as cook; otherwise learn to do it as you travel; a good sea cook is a rare precious gem.
You sound like you would be an asset aboard any vessel, so good luck & maybe Nikki & I will see you out here someday soon.
Captain Andrew

facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Ensign

Default Thanks

Thank you Captain Andrew,
I appreciate your information, I'll definitely look for the book Royces Sailing Illustrated. Also I'll find out how & where I can get my stcw certification. YES I am willing to work hard, I'm not a lazy girl and really would prefer not being around little whiny children. Friends say I am a good cook, I can always CREATE something no matter how simple or few ingredients I have to work with. I've read through some threads on the site & was feeling that mine sounded like I was boring & old!! So I was glad to get a reply from you & Nikki. In fact I was thinking of editing my thread as I would prefer to be on board with a couple, it feels safer to me. In actuality I can embark from anywhere as long as I have ample notice to buy an airline ticket at a reasonable price or use my frequent flier miles. Unfortunately I wouldn't be available until late November as I have plans to be in DC working Oct27 thru Nov20. I lived there 15yrs before moving back to my home state where I bought a little cabin in the woods. I hike a lot, read a lot, & work tons on my property when I'm home. Last winter my travel gal pal & I went to Belize for 6wks, we ended up on a sailboat for 6 days with a great couple from Amsterdam. It was the highlight of our trip!!! So enough of my chatter, really just wanted to thank you very much for taking the time to reply & share your great suggestions. If you feel you & Nikki might need or want a crew person this winter who doesn't mind doing the grunt work don't hesitate to contact me anytime. Thanks, have a beautiful day filled with deep peace & great joys always Cindy
Old 08-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Trellis Bay, Bee Island

Crew position wanted from Virgin Islands to Florida, ready to go ASAP . Current location is Trellis Bay BVI. Experience, some racing, deliveries, water-sports instructor (sailing, windsurfing, SUP, kiteboarding).
Thanks
Brian
Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: Austin
Default water baby

Only to echo what Captain Andrew suggested water baby. I actually work on the commercial side of the industry, but some basic concepts (or rules in my world) apply when working, living, and co-existing with fellow crewmembers. Having your credentials in order and update is very important and will definitely head off any potential delays in the future. Passport and certified copies of birth certificate/credentials is also advisable (should you need a replacement in some far off region of the planet).
While your gearing up for your journey, take some time to learn a few basics… terminology, a few knots, weather, and the rules of the road (near and dear to my heart). This will shorten the learning curve. I know pleasure boats and yachts watch procedures may be much less regimented or structured than what I’m accustomed to. But a few simple people skills may apply… everyone will know you are “the new guy” and will quickly gage your experience (or lack of). Don’t sweat it… the best thing you can do is listen and observe and display an eagerness and willingness to learn. Not only from the skipper but everyone onboard has something to offer. It will help them to know what you don’t know… an assumption at sea is not a good thing.
Ask questions, admit what you don’t know. Personally, I would rather deal with a green deckhand that is hungry for knowledge than to be graced with some “old salt” that has been there, done that… did it better, bigger, faster (or had the uncle or cousin that did). Good to have around in a crisis, but the daily routine is a bore to them. They would rather talk about how good they are what they did in the past… unfortunately, they have done very little recently and often times think they are above doing the remedial task. Don’t ever become “that guy”.
Enough from me… listen to Captain Andrew and other experienced cruisers… “Local knowledge” is a valuable tool. Take it when offered. Best of lucky in your travels water baby.
HCS
P.S…. like I tell the guys when we are short a cook and we all have to pitch in. I don’t want to hear “I can’t cook”. If you can read a recipe, you can prepare a meal. “He who complains about your attempts shall prepare the next meal”. Very few complaints.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

I like the notion that complainers cook the next meal.

Rule on Coyote: The most critical thing you are allowed to say about someone else's cooking is "Thank you."
Old 08-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
Ensign

Thanks, you're all great! Really appreciate your reply HCS, you sound wise & intelligent, love the way you write. I've been reading through several threads & learning a lot. I don't mind at all being the "new guy" aboard doin the grunt work nor admitting to my lack of knowledge. BUT I am eager to learn, work hard, and obey my Captain as my life is literally in his hands. I get the "old salt" types that can do it better, been there, done that....there's plenty like that on terra firma too. HCS, Capta, Auzzee, Coyote, & the like of what I've read all sound extremely experienced & down to earth like the kind of people I would feel very confident takin off with for 2-10wks this winter. I'm a very tactile person & learn best by experience, I have great instincts & a strong intuitive sense of things. Anyways I've been a little slow in replying because I'm deep into a leach field project swingin a huge pick axe & shoveling dirt the last few days. Satisfying & exciting to do the job mostly myself, AMAZING what makes a 50yr old single chick happy!!! Bon Voyage, be safe out there sailors Cindy ;-))
Old 08-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

Hi Waddasign

Wadda sight it must be seeing you "picking" your way through a leachfield. Hopefully it is a "new construction" job... Last time I dug one I used a back-hoe and it became a piece of cake. Figuratively speaking of course.

From your chit-chat above I see that you are a chick that did not hop outta the nest just a minute ago and also that you may be in the DC area come Nov. My boat is presently in Bangor ME and I will be back on it next week. Currently I'm in the bay area. My home is near Murphy's off HW4 a bit S of where you must be practicing your mole-craft. I enjoy the mountains just as much as the sea and have day-hiked Mt Whitney and Half Dome. Also a lot of Seqouia, Yosemite, Death Valley and some Coloroda ( Paria canyon ) trips. Both back-packing or on skis. ( Pear Valley )

As most boat plans are written in sand at low tide it is quite possible I will be passing through the DC area on my way back S to St. Augustine in FL, where I keep the boat. Probably this will be in mid-October, but you never know how things work out. Last year I had planned on visiting ME but only got as far as NY and LI before making a U-turn. Two storms and crew-issues kept me around Annapolis, the Chessie and Delaware Bay for too long, including a trip back to CA.

Back in ME I now want to use the still good weather while it lasts and then leisurely mosey S down the coast. Came up fast on the outside with the gulf stream but will most likely go ICW from Norfolk, to avoid the Hatteras Hassle going S. Come out again at Beaufort or thereabouts. Next it would be Bahamas, Carib and Cuba etc. to Panama.

It's hard to find good crew and/or capable mountain hikers that aren't exactly springy chickens any more. You sure make it sound you might be an exception and it sure would be nice to meet up somewhere... crags or crests, it's all the same to me.

Ivo s/v Linnupesa
Old 08-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
Ensign

Hi There Ivo,
I was so excited to get another reply, I read your threads & immediately called you today. MUST apologize if I was too chatty & over exuberant on the phone, hey a possible crewing opportunity trumps diggin a leach field anyday. I was pumped up from workin hard all morning shoveling rock :-)) makin progress & it makes me happy!!

Thank you for the interest, I also love to hike but haven't done much in the Caribbean. Alexandra (66yrs young), my travel gal pal from Vermont is NOT a hiker, but we've traveled well for 13yrs now since meeting at yoga camp in the Bahamas in 99.

YES you are perceptive!! I've always been the exception marching to my own drum since I was a young child. Nor did I hop outta the nest a minute ago, but I did hop out rearin & ready to go!! I've always had an insatiable taste for adventure & exploration, plus the tenacity to make my dreams my reality.

I would be delighted to meet up when you pass through DC this fall or back in California sometime. If you're short on experienced crew & willing to teach a quick learner, I'm ready to jump aboard & learn!! I could possibly do DC-FL leg early Nov (a short trial run for us both??). Though come early Dec I'll be ready to escape the mountains for 2-3 months with nothing tying me down & am sure to fly or hopefully sail someplace warm for the winter.

Alexandra & I were tossing around the idea of Las Terrenas DR in Feb after the arrival of her 1st grandchild late this year. So as sailing plans tend to go...... I also tend to go where the wind blows. Usually only making plans in advance when trying to book an inexpensive air fare or frequent flier ticket.

OOPS, gettin to chatty again. Please keep me posted, perhaps we'll cross paths this fall if my chatter hasn't scared you off & you are still interested in meeting (crests or crags is fine by me) ;-)) SAFE travels to you. Thanks again for the reply, Cindy