Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crew Positions Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-14-2015, 05:21 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Edinburgh
Default Incompetent crew looking for passage from SE Asia to Australia

Yeah, sorry, this is one of those 'looking for a lift to Australia' type messages. I'm trying to go around the world using only my bicycle and boats. It's a silly idea really, but I had nothing better to do. So far I've got from Paris to Thailand, and the big problem I have now is how to get to Australia. My bicycle is particularly useless on water, and so I need to find a boat.

So I'm kind of looking for a lift here, or at least just some advice about where to go and when. I'm planning to hang around a few marinas looking shifty until someone takes pity on me. It's a bad plan, so if anyone can suggest something better (should I shave?) I'd be keen to hear it. Actually my big question is when do the boats go? I'm planning to be there April/May/June although I could be there earlier. And, where do they go from? What are the big ports in Indonesia/SE Asia that most of the boats heading for Australia go to?

If you are looking for crew to Australia, please do contact me. I'm actually not that incompetent (I was referring to my bicycle, who will do nothing useful I'm afraid.) I am a hard worker (I cycled from Paris) and a good cook, and my feet don't smell, and I know one good pirate joke. The time will fly by!

Here's my blog www.cgoab.com/doc/reallylongway
Here's my email - chrispountney@myway.com
Here's my name - Chris
Here's my word of thanks - Thanks

Old 01-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Between late June and the end of July there are a few sailing rallies leaving Darwin and heading to Indonesia. There is the Darwin to Ambon rally and the Sail Indonesia rally run at different times in that time frame. Boats in those rallies will frequently continue to Malaysia, Thailand or Singapore. The boats are frequently looking for crew for both the onward and return journeys (to Darwin) and frequently onwards to Cairns or further south.

Look for the rally web sites and contact the organisers, they may be able to put you in touch with boats looking for crew.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Edinburgh

Thanks for the quick reply!

The problem is that I have to be in Australia before the end of July! Do you think there will be much traffic going the other way before then?
Old 01-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

That's a bit early for many boats to be heading back to Darwin. There is a possibility that some boats which stayed in Thailand and Malaysia for the King's Cup Regatta and Raja Muda Cup may head back as soon as the monsoons are over.

The winds for sailing south east from Thailand/Malaysia settle somewhat into a reasonable pattern north of the equator in March. The last leg of the trip before April/May, could get a bit lumpy south of the equator.

However, there will be some boats heading that way. My suggestion is for you to do a Facebook search for Thailand Yacht Club and other sailing groups out of Phuket and Royal Selangor Yacht Club and make yourself known on their pages. You may be lucky but, it has to be said, that full-on racing craft returning for the Australian season, will probably not be looking for inexperienced crew. However, give it a shot...you never know your luck in the big city.
Cheers and good luck.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, australia, crew, se asia