Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crew Positions Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Santa Barbara
Vessel Name: Baby Steps
Default Santa Cruz, CA Sailor - open to (almost) anything

Hi, my name is Behr, please check out my bio for more info about my experience/skills. I am looking to crew for a vessel just about anywhere in the world to just about anywhere else. I am currently free from NOW (4/9/12) to November, 2012. Though if things go well, I might just keep sailing. I am flexible on this point.

I do keep an eye on my pocketbook, so I might not be down for two $1k+ plane tickets to and from my home port of California to sail for only a month, but if it were closer to 6-8 months I might consider the cost-per-day ratio to be acceptable. I have a current valid US passport and can afford any visas I might need. Generally I try to keep my budget on ventures to $1k/mo or less once cost of plane tickets/visas/food/incidentals is all factored in. I don't mind contributing to a per-day food fund or splitting groceries, but like you, I also don't want to be taken for a ride. HAHA there's more posts on the first page of this forum warning people about scams than there are for vessels/crew. Which actually isn't that funny, it's lame. My last trip I paid $20/day to a "kitty" which was more than double the value of the food I was rationed; won't be doing THAT again.

But enough about that. I have plenty of time on my hands, no commitments and might even consider continuing to sail for a year or two depending on how the wind blows.

I owned a 26 Clipper Marine for a few years and got it out on the lake sailing about a dozen times or so but it was difficult to trailer (i.e.I didn't have a truck big enough so always had to borrow one) so sold it.

I sailed for about 3 months on two different yachts appx. 35-40ft in length from Phuket, Thailand to Hurghada, Egypt in 2007. I stood watch during hours of darkness and manned both vessels alone during my shifts while others slept.

I experienced mild seasickness (nausea, sleepy) up the Red Sea in rough waters, but other than that had no issues at sea. I frickin' love it! I love scuba diving, pulling fresh fish from the sea and making up some sashimi. I was a chef for a few years and love to cook and also am a tidy person, ready to get and keep things clean.

I am interested in mechanical/electrical things but am not proficient with things mechanical. I tinker around on my motorcycles doing little things like tune ups or replacing/fixing broken parts but there is a TON I don't know (and would like to learn?)

I am generally relaxed, mind my own finances and like a bit of hard work here and there to keep me in shape. I guess you would have to get to know me to get to know me, so if you would like to email or talk on the phone first to feel me out, that would be great! I'd also like to know a little bit about who I'm sailing with

Preferred locations are those that I can get to quickly and cheaply. My ideal trip would be from California around the Pacific Rim and landing back in California a year or two and a couple thousand dollars later. Doesn't hurt to dream, right?

email me at bearpalomo at yahoo.com and once I've ascertained you're not a scam/spam/phishbot or whatever I'll give you my home phone #.

Cheers to all and happy sailing!

I just realized non-members can't see my bio, so here is the About Me section:

About Me

Origin: USA

Visited: Brazil, Mexico, Spain, Morocco, Egypt, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines, Canada, Yemen, Eritrea, Sudan, Maldives, Israel

Sailed: Indian Ocean, Red Sea, inland lakes/bays of CA.

Languages: English (native), American Sign Language (beg), Brazilian Portuguese (Int), Spanish (beg)

Other: PADI cert. Rescue Diver, EMT/CPR cert., Firefighter, valid US passport, appx. 5 years restaurant experience (on the kitchen side, started as a dishwasher and ended as the sous-chef)

My goal for the past 10 years or so has been to continue to save money and gain experience towards owning/operating my own yacht(cat?) for fun and hopefully charter as well. I fantasize mostly about Gulets and catamarans.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: San Francisco
Vessel Name: en pointe
Default Heading south

Behr--Give me a shout if you think you'd be interested crewing down the coast from Monterey Bay. Tom 415-246-0218