Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crewfinder Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Ensign

The Sailing vessel Juno, a 12 meter mono hull, is looking for crew from Capetown, SA in February to Brazil and the Carribean and on to the US. No experience is required, nor do age and genders really matter so long as crew is physically capable and keen to embrace the cruising/liveaboard life style and to share housekeeping and watchstanding duties. They must also be willing to share expenses, currently running about $450USD per month per person for neophyte crew. They are also expected to be able to pay their way to and from Juno.

The skipper (that would be me) is a 61 year old married man who has been utilizing "volunteer crew" help sail the boat for the past three years. For more information about the expectations, please go to the thread at the top of this crew finder and click on the topic regarding "paying crew" and scroll to post number 58.

n.b. See this link: http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/index.php...40&start=40 (JeanneP)

Depending on crew preferences, it is possible to sail part way up the west coast of Africa on short passages before heading across the Atlantic to St Hlenna and then on to Brazil. This is a long passage, almost 4,000 miles, so if you are looking for sea miles, or to find out what ocean passage making is like, this trip would meet your needs.

Currently Juno is in Durban South Africa, where I am taking care of some mechanical items that need attention after the past year's sail from Thailand, Maldives, Chagos, Seychelles, Madagascar, and Mozambique. I plan to be leaving in the next week for the trip around the bottom of South Africa with my current crew, an American couple in their late 60's.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Regards

Tom Hildebrandt

Old 01-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Ensign

Hey Tom,

my name is Guy and I am almost 22 years old(in february).

I am a fresh qualified skipper(up to 24 meter boat)+FIRST AID qualified,very hard working,eager to learn,seeking for new adventure and always up for a challenge.

very convenient.I love music,movies,books and also to cook.

Cheers,Guy

to contact me - gbensh@gmail.com

Old 01-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Ensign

Hey Tom,

My name is Charley and, like Guy, I am almost 22 (in two weeks.) I am a novice, First Aid/CPR qualified, looking for experience and adventure, and to make a safe ocean passage. I have a few questions for you: When in February do you plan to leave? When do you anticipate arrival back to the US?

My contact info is charley.wright1@gmail.com

Take care,

Charley
Old 01-10-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
Ensign

Hi there Tom!

Men and my friend are currently traveling SA but are intressed in knowing wheter it is possible to join you as crew in Brazil for the last route.

We both have decent sailngexperience and are the best of men! Im 22yo ex swedish army paramedic, did 9 month recently in Kosovo and Oscar is a born sailor from the Swedish west coast.

We would love to here from you!

My mail is maxi_pAThotmail.com

Chao
Old 01-13-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
Ensign

Hi Max

Thanks for the interest.

If there is space for you and your friend when Juno gets to Brazil we can talk about it then. Several of the people I am currentlyu talking to wish to go to the US.

Otherwise lets keep in touch and see what happens,

Regards

Tom
Old 01-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to boatgroo

Hello Tom and Pat,

I am 55 and just retired from Grand Rapids Public Schools. I taught math for 16 years. Feb 4th I am sitting for the Master 100 ton - Great Lakes and Inland Waters. My experience is in Lake freighters and a little sloop. I need 41 more sailing days for the Sail Auxiliary ticket. Your trip offers more than that.

I am keen and able. I know a halyard from a sheet. I can reef, steer and heave in unison. I can sing a chanty and handle a dinghy. I can tie a bowline, slippery hitch, 3-strand eye-splice, jam and square knots-in the right places. I am good with people-strangers or crew. I can change oil, filters, belts or impellers on the engine. I can rebuild the head. I can cook vegetarian, clean and paint. I am glad to help where it is needed.

The Cape and SW Africa are notorious ship killers. I would like to know more about Juno and her condition before I bought a plane ticket to South AFrica.

Thank you,

Bill
Old 01-17-2008, 03:15 AM   #7
Ensign

Hello Tom,

My name is Sam Murphy. I'm a very well conditioned 64 year old. Recently retired and looking for sailing time. I'm 5'9" 165, and work out daily, swim, and bike. I have a lot of sailing experience in coastal waters in boats up to 34 feet. Some experience in larger boats and catamarans. I have ASA certifications in monohull and catamaran sailing/cuising. I'm a decent navagator and bring my own GPS, parallels and dividers. I'm good humored, easy going, love music and adventure. I can cook and love to fix things on the boat and stay busy. I'm free to travel any time, my passport is current and I can be in Cape Town on short notice at my own expense.

Please feel free to email me: sailor59@embarqmail.com or cell phone: 850-443-5074.

Hope to hear from you.

Sam

P.S, I have a girl friend who is equally capable and physically fit. She speaks fluent French and pretty good Italian and has more big boat sailing experience than I do. She could potentially come as well if needed. But her writing career sometimes takes precidence.

Thanks.

S
Old 01-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
Ensign

Hello to the forum

The trip to Brazil is now full, but anyone wanting from Brazil to the Carribean and on to the US can still send enquiries.

Fair winds

Tom
Old 01-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Thank you for the status update.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Old 05-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandpatt View Post
Hello to the forum

The trip to Brazil is now full, but anyone wanting from Brazil to the Carribean and on to the US can still send enquiries.

Fair winds

Tom
Dear Tom,

I am looking to head from Brazil to the Caribbean in july, 2009. I am currently doing student exchange in João Pessoa - Paraíba - Brazil and speak Portuguese, English and Danish fluently. I study medicine, have no experience in sailing and is a quick learner.

Hit me back at Buchholzer at gmail . com if our paths happen to cross. If not, I wish you the best of travels.

Sincerely,

Frederik
Old 05-26-2009, 04:46 AM   #11
Ensign

Hey Tom -

I was wondering if you have a rough idea of departure dates from Brazil for the Caribbean.

I am an attorney, firefighter and EMT and by the time you sail will be a Paramedic. I'm 47 and headed eventually to nursing school. I will be unencumbered by class or other obligations from January through August of 2010 and am hoping to have an opportunity for a real adventure. I currently crew aboard a Peterson 41 out of Balboa Yacht Club in Newport and race a couple of times a month. Good cook, conversationalist, reader and as a firefighter responsible with all forms of duty and understand the importance of chain of command and responsibility for ones self.

Fair winds and safe travels.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #12
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to gslabbert5119

Topic closed. Original posting was January 2008.

https://BlueWaterCruising.com

https://photographybygavin.com

"Dwell on the could haves, we must not. Focus on the solution, we must...." -- Yoda --
Closed Thread

Tags
brazil