Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crewfinder Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
Ensign

Boat size & type: Aluminium Sailing Catamaran 51'

Embark port: Thailand

Estimated departure (or join) date: July

Arrival port & ETA (or voyage details): Thailand, Malaysia, Sumatra, Indonesia, Philippines, Pacific Islands... is the general idea to begin with, but not set. (I know Eastward is not the normal way to go.)

Number of other crew aboard (Skipperplus): 0 + 2 other people

Crew qualifications required and duties: Cleaning, possibly cooking, fetching things, watching things, taking it easy

Cost to join vessel and repatriation is paid by: Flights and travel expenses paid by you, other expenses paid by me

Estimated equal-share contribution to food/drinks: (Per person, per day) = No contribution required

Note: No contribution towards any other costs (fuel, propane, fees, marinas, etc.) is required from crew.

More info:

Hello!

I'm looking for either a single male, female or a couple, preferably in their twenties (as I am), or a gap year student, to work on my boat for 1 year and simply helping out by doing the cleaning, cooking, and other easy tasks. No sailing experience is required. No contribution is required either, I'll pay for everything you need. You just have to pay the travel costs to get here.

I've recently purchased a very nice 51' catamaran (6 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms) with a friend of mine, we intend to sail around the world, starting with South East Asia (which is where we currently are). Only problem is that we're pretty bad at cleaning up, especially me, so we need someone to keep the boat nice and tidy. Sometimes you'd be required to go onshore to fetch things, sometimes you'd be required to stay on the boat while we go onshore. Either way, you will see amazing things and visit amazing places.

The crew cabins are very nice and private, with good airflow. We also have a water-maker onboard, which means you can wash properly in fresh water every day and we never run out of drinking water. We have widescreen TV and DVD player for watching movies. We have Internet access from the boat (depending on where we are). We have refrigerators and freezers. We have a 40hp dingy that does 30 knots, has soft seats and a canopy. We have water skis and wakeboard to be pulled by the dingy. Radar, fish finder, etc. Plus much more cool stuff.

About us: we're both young guys, we don't smoke, we don't take drugs, drink moderately, we like to make new friends, take it easy, go swimming, diving, sailing, exploring, adventuring, reading, talking, and all the other fun things life has to offer. We're both single and straight, but no women in our lives, and not looking for any, so there would be no crazy parties or other destructive behaviour.

You are required to be similar. No smokers or drug takers please (cigars & pipes are OK).

I've attached a photo of the boat below.

Please only nice people apply. If you are nice reply to this post or send me a PM.

Thanks!

Alasdair

Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	956

Old 05-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
Ensign

I am a 27 year old American male. I am currently in thailand where i have been for the last 3 years. I have some sailing knowledge but am eager to learn more.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Ensign

Hello,

I'm a 23 years old male sailor with 12 years sailing experience.

I'm very interested in joining your cruise.

You can contact me at orialb1 at gmail dot com, I will send you my full CV by email.

Best Regards,

Ori
Old 05-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Ensign

Alasdair,

Hi I consider myself a pretty nice guy, so let me tell you a bit more. I am 23, single, and American. I don't smoke or take drugs. I graduated college and moved to Europe, where I am currently, to travel and teach, and so far it has worked out marvelously. Last summer I joined a retired man on a 3-week trip from his home in England down to Portugal via the channel and Bay of Biscay. We had a fantastic time and I really enjoyed the sailing.

My teaching contract is finished this June, and my schedule is entirely open after that. I've got the means to get out to Thailand and keep my bills paid for a year. This almost sounds too good to be true, and is exactly what I've been looking for! Your cat looks beautiful.

I would love to talk with you further and hear more about the boat and the trip.

My email is charley.wright1@gmail.com, and my phone is +376 648 788.

Have a great day,

Charley
Old 05-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Ensign

I am interested in Joining you on this adventure. Here is a little bit about me;

I am a 23 yr old Canadian (male). I grew up sailing and racing Dinghys and I taught Dinghy sailing and racing to kids 6-18 yrs old and adults (including coaching a provincial racing team). I have some yachting experience but would REALLY like get more experience. I have a very strong knowledge of sailing and boat handling, I'm sure you would be pleased with having me as a crew.

I recently completed my degree in Mechanical Engineering, and had an Engineering job in for nearly a year, but then the company had to let almost everyone go (due to the recession). So now I'm waiting for everything to blow over, and I want to have a fun year with lots of new experiences.

I'm very easy going and respectful of others, I'm an adventure and outdoor enthusiaste!

I'm confident that we would get along and have an amazing year full of laughs, good times and adventures. Please feel free to send me an E-mail to discuss further;

- Jeff

E-mail: jeffhogie@gmail.com
Old 05-17-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
Ensign

Hello Alasdair,

Since this February ( http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/ind...howtopic=12595# ) we are looking for someone who is sailing eastwards. Everybody told us that our idea is crazy and nobody would do this! So we almost gave up looking for someone... But now we found you! And our plans sound great!

The last seven month we've been traveling in Southeast Asia. We've been to India, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, China, the Philippines, Borneo and next will be Indonesia. As our plans are not set, it wouldn't be a problem for us to be in Thailand by July and have all the time on earth to be on the boat to make it around.

We (thats Michael 26 and Yvonne 25) are from Switzerland. We are sportive (cross-country skiing, jogging, cycling, hiking, diving, swimming), non-smoker and don't take any drugs. We are nature loving and want to see many different places on this earth!

In Thailand we have been on a sailingtrip in the Andaman Sea for 2 weeks and now we are looking for a longer trip like yours. We really enjoyed the life on the boat, visit places where not everybody is going and we learned the basics of sailing.

But please tell us, how did you get such a nice Catamaran? It looks beautiful! ;-)

If you would like to see where we have been the last few months, check our Travel-Map http://www.travellerspoint.com/membe...user=yvi-michi or have a look at some pictures on http://www.islandfever.ch

We are happy to hear from you! Contact us on yvonne@islandfever.ch

As we are traveling through Asia it can take a few days to replay on emails.

Cheers Yvonne and Michael
Old 05-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
Ensign

If it sounds too good to be true.............................................. .............and this sounds way too good from where I sit.......
Old 05-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Ensign

Hi Alasdair,

I sent you an email through your profile yesterday and just wanted to make sure that it went through. If you get a chance, please let me know that you got the email, otherwise I will post it on here so you can read it.

Thanks,

Brian Gault

briangault@gmail.com
Old 05-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter111 View Post
If it sounds too good to be true.............................................. .............and this sounds way too good from where I sit.......
You are probably right. It looks to me that these persons are wanting somebody to be their maid, i.e. clean, prepare food,wash etc., and do not want to pay for it.

Guys, if you think you can get someone to be your galley slave and not pay for it then this girl is not the one for you. The Middle Ages are past and I for one am not going to slave for some guys just because they happen to be rich enough to buy a big yacht but not to pay the salaries for their staff.

This is not too good to be true. This is too BAD to be true.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:29 AM   #10
Ensign

Thank you all for your replies and PMs. Sorry I haven't replied to each person individually. I have had a lot of interest, which is great. Thank you all for your replies and comments!

I'm still mulling over all the replies I've got. There are so many people interested in my offer, which makes it difficult to go through everything. Plus I've been very busy over the last few days, and will be for the rest of this week.

In reply to those persons who think it's too good to be true:

Life always looks good if you look at it in a good way. If you look at life in a negative way then it can only look negative.

In reply to those persons who think I'm trying to get something for nothing:

You are entitled to your own opinion; however, if you would allow me to say something in my defense: I have said I will pay all expenses on the boat, including food, which is considerably better than most of the other offers. Though I do understand your frustration with certain persons who are taking advantage of other people, trying to get people to work for them for free.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:33 AM   #11

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alasdair View Post
Thank you all for your replies and PMs. Sorry I haven't replied to each person individually. I have had a lot of interest, which is great. Thank you all for your replies and comments!

I'm still mulling over all the replies I've got. There are so many people interested in my offer, which makes it difficult to go through everything. Plus I've been very busy over the last few days, and will be for the rest of this week.

In reply to those persons who think it's too good to be true:

Life always looks good if you look at it in a good way. If you look at life in a negative way then it can only look negative.

In reply to those persons who think I'm trying to get something for nothing:

You are entitled to your own opinion; however, if you would allow me to say something in my defense: I have said I will pay all expenses on the boat, including food, which is considerably better than most of the other offers. Though I do understand your frustration with certain persons who are taking advantage of other people, trying to get people to work for them for free.
Thank you Alasdair for coming back and commenting on the responses you've gotten so far. I agree with you that everything is a matter of perspective. The Cruiser Log free crew finder is available for linking up good situations with good people. We hope that you and your crew have a great voyage.

This appears to be a great opportunity for someone without sailing experience to join a cruiser in an exciting adventure--at basically no cost. Please let us know how it all works out. We'd love to hear about your travels as you go along.

Fair winds and following seas,

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:24 AM   #12
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Thank you Alasdair for coming back and commenting on the responses you've gotten so far. I agree with you that everything is a matter of perspective. The Cruiser Log free crew finder is available for linking up good situations with good people. We hope that you and your crew have a great voyage.

This appears to be a great opportunity for someone without sailing experience to join a cruiser in an exciting adventure--at basically no cost. Please let us know how it all works out. We'd love to hear about your travels as you go along.

Fair winds and following seas,

Brenda
Hear! Hear!

i would jump at the offer if i wasnt

1) under experienced

2) landlocked (chicago)

3) currently fervishly trying to tactically acquire my own SV

possibly a 25' coronado

but this trip sounds like a lot of fun. especially if ur just doing some standing watch and cleaning up...

(i do that at home)

p.s. my first reply to a post
Old 05-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #13
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to ingoirmela

Hi Alasdair,

Husband/wife team (SA/German nationals) currently in France and looking for sailing position. Both have STCW/Day Skipper, easy going, reliable and keen. I am a surfer/diver and both of us love water sports and the out doors. We have resigned managerial positions to do something more exciting, subscribe to a healthy life-style and are looking for an adventure. Though we are no longer in our 20s (48/51), we are top fit and wife is good cook plus excellent house-keeper so vessel will always be neat and tidy. If you want to have more detail, we are happy to submit CVs, etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you and with best regards

Ingo
Old 05-31-2009, 03:58 AM   #14
Ensign

Alasdair,

How's it going? I check posts for Yahts Looking for Crew every so often, but haven't done so in a while because I've been traveling in Asia. I'm currently in Laos, uncertain of where I want to go next. So, I looked through the posts and was presently surprised when I found yours.

I'm 25 years old, grew up an hour ferry ride away from Seattle. I've been on or near the water from an early age, however I just learned the basics of sailing two years ago. I don't have a lot of experience, but I am confortable on the water and more importantly, I'm a quick learner. I finished university and saved up some money so that I could travel the world. I started my trip in Australia, then to New Zealand, and now I've made my way into Asia (3 weeks).

You two sound very similar to myself: I'm very easy going, I love the outdoors. I don't take drugs, but I do enjoy a drink every once in a while. I pay very close attention to detail which will come in handy cleaning up around the boat. I respect others because I believe what goes around comes around. I'm a very peaceful person, I don't get worked up over anything; not lazy, just calm and accepting of different situations.

I've always dreamed of sailing around different parts of the world. My dream for a while now has been to sail from Seattle, down the west coast of the Americas to Santiago, Chile, stopping all along the way. I took lessons because I wanted to be prepared when the opportunity presented itself.

I'd love to sail and explore the world with you. I feel like I'd fit in well. Let me know if you have any questions. By the way, what is the name of your boat?

Sincerely,

Michael Stitt
Old 06-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #15
Ensign

Hi Alasdair

Sounds like you have a very cool summer ahead! A quick overview on me - I am 26, enjoy a good time and being outdoors. My experience on the water comes from an eight month stint spen working in Portugal on the Algarve, teaching watersports and crewing/maintaining at 48ft Fairline motor yacht for charter passengers on day cruises. I have been working in London for the past five years in the finance sector and am keen to go on an adventure and see the world. Your trip sounds perfect - my funds are a little limited and I am desperate to explore South East Asia.

I am very keen to talk with you about this further - if you would like to discuss with me, perhaps we can talk over the phone and we can see if we get on. If not, have a blinder of a summer anyway.

All the best

Toby

tobysmith83@hotmail.com
Old 06-04-2009, 04:24 AM   #16
Ensign

Alasdair,

I wanted to get my foot in the door yesterday before you made a decision. I took a bus through the mountains of Laos today for six hours. It gave me a chance to think more clearly. I felt drawn to the request of your post but wasn't exactly sure why.

I realized that my girlfriend and I offer a service that might be what you're looking for. It took a second to come to my mind because I haven't been traveling with her for the past 4 months.

The past two summers, Rebecca and I, have catered to a girls summer-camp in Long Island, NY. We cooked for 20 odd girls and an ever-changing handful of adult volunteers and mentors throughout the two weeks.

Patricia McCullough started Dorothy Rose as a summer-camp for inner-city girls. She takes them to a beautiful location (last year was in the Hamptons), and shows them a different side of life: such as natural beauty, organic/wholesome foods, and well-being.

She found Rebecca working as a cook/waitress in a restaurant in New York City. Every year she asks her to return with her instinctive cooking nature thanks to an exposure to diverse sets of foods. Patricia needed a healthy alternative to the fast-paced city eating and Rebecca responded precisely.

In the midst of all this, Rebecca moved back to Seattle where we united; her as a head-chef in a restaurant in the Pike-Place Market (famous for its fresh produce and seafood), and me as a valet parking cars for nice restaurants in Downtown Seattle. I left to travel while she stayed behind in order to help her family and save more money, meeting me later on in my trip.

Rebecca has looked after her grandfather for the past 6 months, taking care of everyday activities like cooking, house cleaning, and maintenance. Her aunt has now taken over responsibilities. On top of that, we learned how to sail together 2 years ago at the Center For Wooden Boats in Seattle on Lake Union. We're a good team.

With that said, I'd like to offer Rebecca and I as travel companions aboard your boat. Before you make a decision, have a look at our work.

Dorothy Rose Summer-Camp

http://www.dorothyrose13.org/

*this website is hasn't been updated, but I'll try to find the documentary they filmed last summer

Patricia McCullough - Founder

+1 (917) 856 6719

*I'll find her personal email

Karen Elizage - Co-founder

+1 (646) 251 2191

karen@forwardoptions.com

*http://www.forwardoptions.com/ - personal website

Please feel free to contact either, as I am confident they will describe the value we added. I budgeted and managed food costs while Rebecca guided the Kitchen - where she managed to navigate straight into the girls' hearts.

Most importantly, we had a lot of fun doing it!

Michael Stitt

Rebecca Bockelie

*rebeccabockelie@hotmail.com

+1 (360) 71- 6866 - she is still in the states and is more reliable if you need to call

I'll attach my CV in another email. And I'll have Rebecca send you the menu she developed at the Alibi Room so you can get a sense of her range of cooking skills. I'd make an attempt but I wouldn't do her justice. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #17
Ensign

Thank you to everyone who has sent me replies and PMs. I have received a great number.

I have now made the choice. Good luck to all of you for the future!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #18
Admiral

Thank you very much for letting us know Alasdair.

We wish you all the best for your cruise and ask you kindly to come back here with tales of your circumnavigation.

Topic now closed.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran