Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crewfinder Archives
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #15

Hi Alasdair

Sounds like you have a very cool summer ahead! A quick overview on me - I am 26, enjoy a good time and being outdoors. My experience on the water comes from an eight month stint spen working in Portugal on the Algarve, teaching watersports and crewing/maintaining at 48ft Fairline motor yacht for charter passengers on day cruises. I have been working in London for the past five years in the finance sector and am keen to go on an adventure and see the world. Your trip sounds perfect - my funds are a little limited and I am desperate to explore South East Asia.

I am very keen to talk with you about this further - if you would like to discuss with me, perhaps we can talk over the phone and we can see if we get on. If not, have a blinder of a summer anyway.

All the best

Old 06-04-2009, 04:24 AM   #16

I wanted to get my foot in the door yesterday before you made a decision. I took a bus through the mountains of Laos today for six hours. It gave me a chance to think more clearly. I felt drawn to the request of your post but wasn't exactly sure why.

I realized that my girlfriend and I offer a service that might be what you're looking for. It took a second to come to my mind because I haven't been traveling with her for the past 4 months.

The past two summers, Rebecca and I, have catered to a girls summer-camp in Long Island, NY. We cooked for 20 odd girls and an ever-changing handful of adult volunteers and mentors throughout the two weeks.

Patricia McCullough started Dorothy Rose as a summer-camp for inner-city girls. She takes them to a beautiful location (last year was in the Hamptons), and shows them a different side of life: such as natural beauty, organic/wholesome foods, and well-being.

She found Rebecca working as a cook/waitress in a restaurant in New York City. Every year she asks her to return with her instinctive cooking nature thanks to an exposure to diverse sets of foods. Patricia needed a healthy alternative to the fast-paced city eating and Rebecca responded precisely.

In the midst of all this, Rebecca moved back to Seattle where we united; her as a head-chef in a restaurant in the Pike-Place Market (famous for its fresh produce and seafood), and me as a valet parking cars for nice restaurants in Downtown Seattle. I left to travel while she stayed behind in order to help her family and save more money, meeting me later on in my trip.

Rebecca has looked after her grandfather for the past 6 months, taking care of everyday activities like cooking, house cleaning, and maintenance. Her aunt has now taken over responsibilities. On top of that, we learned how to sail together 2 years ago at the Center For Wooden Boats in Seattle on Lake Union. We're a good team.

With that said, I'd like to offer Rebecca and I as travel companions aboard your boat. Before you make a decision, have a look at our work.

Dorothy Rose Summer-Camp

*this website is hasn't been updated, but I'll try to find the documentary they filmed last summer

Patricia McCullough - Founder

+1 (917) 856 6719

*I'll find her personal email

Karen Elizage - Co-founder

+1 (646) 251 2191

*http://www.forwardoptions.com/ - personal website

Please feel free to contact either, as I am confident they will describe the value we added. I budgeted and managed food costs while Rebecca guided the Kitchen - where she managed to navigate straight into the girls' hearts.

Most importantly, we had a lot of fun doing it!

Michael Stitt

Rebecca Bockelie

+1 (360) 71- 6866 - she is still in the states and is more reliable if you need to call

I'll attach my CV in another email. And I'll have Rebecca send you the menu she developed at the Alibi Room so you can get a sense of her range of cooking skills. I'd make an attempt but I wouldn't do her justice. Thank you!

Old 06-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #17

Thank you to everyone who has sent me replies and PMs. I have received a great number.

I have now made the choice. Good luck to all of you for the future!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #18

Thank you very much for letting us know Alasdair.

We wish you all the best for your cruise and ask you kindly to come back here with tales of your circumnavigation.

Topic now closed.

Aye // Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA | Call Sign: 2AJH2

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Closed Thread