Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > General Message Board
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-09-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Brattleboro
Default Lite Cylinder Propane tank RECALL

Hey you guys. I'm sure you've seen the recall for the fiberglass Lite Cylinders.

Does anyone know more about this dubious claim of failure of product?

This is what the fire departments are getting:

The emergency order is based on an investigation of Lite Cylinder’s operations and production history that revealed probable violations and unsafe conditions and practices that PHMSA determined present an imminent hazard to the public safety. In effect, this action immediately orders the removal from service of more than 55,000 two-piece fully wrapped fiber composite cylinders. These cylinders are largely in liquefied petroleum gas service.

What the hell are "probable" violations? And what happened to innocent until proven guilty. Probable guilt is not guilt.

I own one of these things and it has served me well for three years on an almost daily basis. I depend on it. I built a special place for it in my boat. I need it. It can no longer be legally filled. Someone wanted this company out of business and the competitor, Trident, is carried by West Marine.

Insert evil organ music here.

It worked, Lite Cylinder was run into the ground. I am mad and don't know what to do about it.

Any thoughts?
Cynthia
s/v La Bonita

Old 06-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Cynthia, I understand your frustration and sympathise with your situation. However, a quick check of the internet shows that the manufacturers have a history of safety violations regarding their cylinders.

Given the available data, I sincerely doubt there is any conspiracy and, as such, I would be concerned to have one of these tanks on board my boat. Users are warned of imminent danger in the continued use of these cylinders.

I contend that the 'someone' who wanted the company 'out of business' is the certifying authority which has become frustrated by the manufacturer's either refusal, or inability to comply with the standards required to guarantee public safety.

I think it is better to find out now, rather than to come to the full realisation that something is wrong whilst flying to bits following a gas explosion aboard your boat.

I hope you get your money back and can find a good safe alternative without having to rearrange the current gas locker.

Best wishes.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Ensign

Default Conspiracy Theory

Hi Auzzee,

I would like to believe that companies play fair all the time but have seen first hand some less than stellar methods of getting ahead. I have had no problems with the tank and never saw anything in the news about the company being sloppy. Can you please send me a link to the "history of safety violations" you mention? I was not able to pick that up.

As it happens, the recall coincided with the last of the propane in the tank so I can turn in the empty tank to the fire dept or whomever will take it. Replacing it is "just money." (argh.) The company is out of business so reimbursement is unlikely.

It is not that uncommon for competitors to "conspire" to get the upper hand in their market. How subtle their tactics and how legal their loopholes determines whether any wrongdoing is at play. Conspiracy has become a word used to describe the crazy and paranoid. Sometimes it simply means someone is up to something, has an unfair advantage, and is getting away with it.

Thanks for checking in. Apropos of nothing, tomorrow I debut my first radio show about being a LiveAboard at KISL 88.7 Avalon. You can listen in live or later at kislavalon.com. It might amuse.

Fair Winds on the Air Waves, C
Old 06-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

It is not in our interests to reprint allegations of poor safety practices and fraud. However, there are numerous reports available which point to a history which appears less than best practice.

Take a peek at the following
http://www.gsnmagazine.com/node/2993...gency_response

Cheers

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
Ensign

Ok, I went to the DOT website and found a greater level of granularity about the incidents that are hinted at in the various notices. Should have thought of that before.

Onwards and forwards...