Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > General Message Board
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Looking to go sailing

New to this forum, but find it excellent so far. I am interested in going ocean sailing but have no experience. looking for advice and suggestions. My only sailing experience is with the Queenstown Ettchells club which i have been a member of for the last 2 years. My background is in engineering, so no doubt will come in handy at some point..I am living in Quenstown in the South island of New Zealand but obviously willing to move to a more sailing orientated area of NZ. I have been travelling the world on/off for about 12 yrs and looking for something more. Is it possible for inexperienced people to find positions with skippers/yachts willing to teach hard working, enthusiatic individuals.

Billy

Old 01-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

Hi Billy,

Not clear if you are trying to find paid work or just go sailing.

If its the first, then its usually only magayachts who seek paid crew - and suggest you'd either need to be in right place or with right qualifications (or ideally both) to get that.

If its just sailing then keep accessing this site plus trawl the web for other crewfinding type sites and you'll pick up on others who do need help getting from A to B.

Any form of marine education will help. Maybe courses on navigation, weather, marine engineering, or even cooking would stand you in good stead - and all could be completed local to you.

If all you've sailed are Etchells (lovely boats by the way) maybe worth trying to get more experience on something more cruiser / racer oriented........

Hope this assists, and wish you well

JOHN