Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > General Message Board
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban
Thumbs up

We met Mike and Doreen on the yacht St Leger in SE Asia around 1996. Last we heard was that they were heading into the Indian Ocean this year.

Does anyone know their current whereabouts?

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Admiral

Light House,

Mike and Doreen are at present in Victoria - the Seychelles - buying vegetables - some wine - some cheese .

They are leaving for Mayotte on Tuesday 15th May >>> then plan a) :- down the Mozambique Channel >>> then, who knows Port Shepstone ?

Do you want their email address ?

Richard

Old 05-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Retired Mod

Quote:
Do you want their email address ?
That was a quick reply - thank you Richard. Please let me have their email addy - via a PM.

Thank you

Old 05-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
Ensign

Hi Guys,

Just logged on to this site for the very first time to see what its all about, and immediately news of old old cruising acquaintances !

My wife and I (Sue and Stuart) cruised just about everywhere (okay, not quite) on 'Wild Chorus' from '86 to '94, and had the pleasure of meeting St Leger, Mike and Doreen in Mexico 92 and various points across the Pacific in '93. Fantastic to hear they're still at it. If you see them when they've bought the vegies, please say Hi from us ......... raising kids and mowing lawns in beautiful New Zealand but trying to dream up ways to get afloat again .........
Old 05-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
Retired Mod

Welcome aboard Sue and Stuart - enjoy your stay.

Mike and Doreen spent a few years cruising around SE Asia - a great area to spend some time before moving on.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:17 AM   #6
Admiral

Bob

Message , From St Leger, this morning 21/5/07 :-

Hi All,

Position: S 07 19", E 53'06", wind NE 20/25, rain, rough ride but all ok!

Cheers, M & D

Richard
Old 05-27-2007, 02:52 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Bob

Message , From St Leger, this morning 21/5/07 :-

Hi All,

Position: S 07 19", E 53'06", wind NE 20/25, rain, rough ride but all ok!

Cheers, M & D

Richard
Arrived safely in Mayotte !
Old 05-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #8
Admiral

[QUOTE=name='MMNETSEA' date='May 27 2007, 09:52 AM' post='7549']

Hi All,

Position: S 12'46, E 45'15, Anchored at Dzaoudzi Hrb. Mayotte. Wind SW 20 kts. super to be here! We arrived at the main

Pass through the reef that surrounds Mayotte at about 2000 hrs, darkness had fallen but the moon was bright, clear skys and we could identify all the navigation lights that we need for a cautious entry. We had our radar, depth sounders, chart plotter and electronic charts C-Map running on a laptop, propped up in the cockpit! We carefully got into the leads, moving at about 5 kts. and out of the darkness, a 20 mt., unlit boat approached at speed, our strb. quarter, then blinded us with a huge spotlight,

and hailed us in French (guess they saw our name and thought we could speak french!) It was the Police - checking

for illegal immigrants coming from the Comoros Is. - turns out it is a huge problem and many are apprehended every night. One of the crew spoke english and they quickly gave us permission to proceed.

All the lights and marks were in position and we had an uneventful passage into the lagoon and via the numerous different

courses, all marked by operating lead lights, travelled the 15 miles along the coast into the designated yacht anchorage. We found that the C-map electronic charts were spot on! a wonderful Aid, to our traditional, paper chart navigation!

Anchor down, ice cold rum/coke, hot shower (not in that order!) and to our bunk, for much needed sleep!

Yesterday, after a slow start, D did a boat clean and I did the rounds of Port Captain, Customs and Immigration - my french language was tested and I failed miserably! all Officials were fun and efficient.

Always things happening in a busy anchorage, two Kenyan navy ships anchored, about 40 locally owned (by expats) yachts anchored, a good looking 60 ft. fiberglass yacht, high/dry and neglected, on the reef, very close to the anchorage - the result of a Cyclone a few yrs ago, and the local yacht club, round the Island cruise departed. (Monique - we saw your new grandaughter arriving onto a boat next to us in her lifejacket!) We were contacted by south african, yacht delivery crew, whom we had met in

the Seychelles - they had a very rough passage from there to here and wanted off! So we transported them ashore in our dingy and they went to the Airport!

Harry (singlehander from Seattle) dropped by with a fresh Baguette, came aboard for a drink and the Party started - crew of the Maritian yacht Ti Amour arrived to join us and we all went to bed late! The guys talked of Whiskey so I produced a bottle

of Canadian Crown Royal (given to us by Hans Jonas in 1982!) and poured a Round!

Keep in touch, our Pactor system is working very well with the help of a ham operator in Durban SA.. Joost-ZS5S
Old 05-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
Retired Mod

Thanks for the news Richard. As you suggested our email to them was rejected.

I have sent you a PM with an email addy which you can pass on to them for "clearance".

Old 02-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
Retired Mod

Mike and Doreen safely arrived in Richards Bay. They visited a number of Safari Parks and have since sailed down the coast to Knysna and are enjoying some more land travel at the moment.