Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > Pets, Children & Guests
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-29-2012, 03:17 AM   #1

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Default Meet Our New Ship's Cat!

Dear all,

You were very kind when we had discussions about the passing of our former Ship's cat.

We are now honored to introduce our new ship’s cat, Beryl Skogkatt (Beryl or Berrie for short) to everyone here.

Sitting on the chart table:

larger image here
A close up:

larger image here

You can read more about Beryl on our blog post about her as well.

I'm sure we'll have lots of fun sailing with kitty stories to tell, soon.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Congratulations for your new crew. She is lovely.

Happy Sails.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Swab

Home Port: Honolulu
Vessel Name: Lealea

Beautiful!
Bree says "keep your paws on deck"

Aloha
Mate1860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

What a beautiful cat!
And these blue eyes!!
And a great name you found for her!!!
Congratulations

Uwe

SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #5

Home Port: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Bellesa

Beautiful cat...

She looks like a shedder... The bilge pump will love that.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #6

An update:

Oh about shedding--that's a benefit of some of the mix breed cats which have Norwegian Forest Cat in them--they heavily shed for a couple weeks 1 or 2 times a year but generally keep their fur. This girl doesn't shed at the moment so we're thinking she inherited that wonderful gene. Only one of our last 4 cats has had that feature--it's nice to see it again! I have a favorite black sweater I'm wearing a lot right now and it doesn't get any of her fur on it. Yet, when I visit a friend's boat and cat, I get covered in the short hair of that little shedder. It did take us the past 2 years to get all the fur of our previous cat out of the cracks and crevices. He was a shedder!

Beryl has been with us just a few days now but we've discovered a number of ways that she special. All very cute. Some a bit concerning for us.

First--she's really quite the graceful climber when she wants to be. I carefully blocked off the forecastle (it has no door at present and is full of dive gear, spare fenders, oars, paddles and bosun supplies, spare anchors, plus the anchor locker full of chain) with a couple bins and a large sheet of Styrofoam insulation to within 8" of the overhead. She managed to jump from a nearby bed up and over with no problem. Teetered at the top while surveying the scene on the other side for just a split second. Amazingly graceful. On the other side, she explored every inch of the junk stored there including climbing into the anchor locker with the chain. To get back, she climbed up a pile of oars and fenders to achieve the same sort of graceful jump. Needless to say, we'll be constructing that door to the forecastle sooner rather than later.

Then there's play. All our recent kitties died old. They didn't really play much in the last few years of life. We've forgotten what cat play is really like. This cat is almost two and she really likes to play. All feather toys must be killed repeatedly several times a day. She has a memory for the few toys she has and she'll find them even if I hide them away. If I put a toy in a cabinet or drawer (while she's in another room) she'll still manage to figure its location out (perhaps they smell like catnip though that wasn't advertised on them...) and head butt the cabinet, hit at it, make funny little chirp-y meows and generally let it be known that there's something in there which she wants--until she gets us to retrieve the toy. After the toys are found, she drags them out and kills them yet again--and then presents them to me as a gift, one-by-one. Even at 2 am. Especially at 2 am. After all, if you're a cat, that's the best time to present dead feather toys to your human--right?

She's very calm, gentle, and laid back in her interactions with us--wants to sit smashed up against hubby's leg (with her paws around his thigh to be as close as possible w/o sitting in the lap) and wants to sit in my lap and purr. Seems calm with a halter, thinks the kitty life vest is a bit heavy but I can see she'll deal with it--so we're hopeful that we'll be taking her for dingy rides soon to get used to that experience as well.

She enjoys hubby's clarinet playing. Prefers the light classical over the jazz or show tunes he's played for her listening pleasure. She doesn't mind the stereo playing. Sits to watch a DVD with us though she doesn't like loud or unexpected noises so the shoot-em-ups aren't as much fun as the silly romances are for her.

An indoor kitty she is planned to remain--this works as she doesn't like the outdoors right now--when we open up the companionway door to go in and out, she immediately retreats to the depths of the boat. Doesn't like the blast of cold wind we think. That works for us, though.

Fair winds,

Old 11-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: coos bay

Beryle looks like a mangy coon to me. ..I love maine coons
Old 07-21-2016, 04:47 AM   #8

Beryl has settled in very nicely. She's taken the chart table as "her" spot and constantly battles to keep it that way. Here's a pic of her using the navigation tools and USCG Navigation Rules and Regulations Handbook for a pillow.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #9
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Congratulations to the new member of the crew. She looks good!

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #10
Ensign

Home Port: coos bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Beryl has settled in very nicely. She's taken the chart table as "her" spot and constantly battles to keep it that way. Here's a pic of her using the navigation tools and USCG Navigation Rules and Regulations Handbook for a pillow.

Geez, it has taken Beryl three years to plot a course? The last post was in 2013