Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > Pets, Children & Guests
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Saling With Dogs (jack Russels)

Hi There

Brand new to sailing and starting to plan a trip around the world embarking from Cape Town, South Africa. We are looking to leave in 2012/2013. We are thinking to taking our beloved Jack Russells with us and would be sailing on a catamaran.

Looking for advice from people who have done this - will be tough I know and may be a little crazy, but want all the option.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Sam

Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

It is wonderful to have our best friends along with us, and many cruisers do have them along. However, often it is unfair on them as sometimes, in some countries, they are not allowed ashore.

Have a look at the World Cruising Wiki - at the pet regulations of some of the countries you intend to visit. This will give you some idea of what is involved. The most difficult countries, by far, are Australia and New Zealand I think.

Good luck.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Admiral

For quarantine I think that Oz and NZ are the worst for quarantine, many of the South Pacific islands won't let the dogs go ashore, the Cook Islands has extreme restrictions on dogs nowadays, but from what I have seen and heard, the Moslem countries treat dogs the worst.

Dogs are considered unclean by Moslems, and are spit at, and shunned. I don't recall seeing any dog food in the supermarkets, though I could be wrong, most Chinese in these countries own a dog, and there are plenty of strays around. The stray dogs all look pretty mangy and diseased, and in tropical coiuntries there's a lot to infect a dog.

A friend brought her beloved dog from the US to Malaysia and it died shortly thereafter. She said it died of a broken heart it was so reviled there.

There's not a lot on the web about the problems of dogs in the tropics. For example, see this link for a study which you might be able to find complete in English: Parasitic diseases of dogs and cats in the tropics

Another, old, study in Nigeria gives the prevalence of different afflictions of dogs, including babesiosis (tick-borne parasite) and various worms (helminthosis) - tropical study of disease in dogs and cats

In the Caribbean, probably your first destination, you will find lots of dogs. You will also see lots of sickly dogs with mange, and not a lot of veterinarians in the chain of islands. Rabies exists in the Americas, and in tropical South America there is a night-flying vampire bat you need to be aware of. Virtually no restrictions or concerns in the islands, so it is a fairly stress-free first destination.

Jack Russels are usually extremely active dogs, and I hope you've considered how you will exercise them adequately while on the boat, or when they are in quarantine (no quarantine that I know of in the Caribbean, though).

Be prepared. Do consult with hour veterinarian before considering taking the dogs, and if you cannot get medication for worms and parasites before you leave, you might want to enter the Caribbean in Puerto Rico, which is large enough to have good veterinary services and excellent mail and courier services from continental US. However, before doing so, be sure you can arrive with your dogs. Here's a quick link, though I'm not sure if it's the right one USDA import of pet

You will have more trouble after you leave the Caribbean, but if you decide to bring your dogs, the first stop will give you some idea as to whether you want to continue with them.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for the great reply. Not feeling to confident about a long journey with them. Perhaps a shorter 3 month trip around the islands would be suitable. Will have look through all the links you posted.

Once again, thanks for the reply
Old 01-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Admiral

We would love an update on you and your dogs as you cruise. What little has been posted on the web by others so far has not been relevant to long distance cruising. I'll keep my eye out, though, and if I find more info. I'll post it.

Thanks,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Ensign

Good luck Sam.

We are also planing to go cruising with our fur kid. Though only Europe where he can get a pet passport and where we can get him ashore daily. Also we are only intending on staying in the northern parts (Baltic UK etc) where the cooler climate and more pet friendly customs are. Once he as very sadly move onto the great dog bowl in the sky will we start working our way south. Our plans are very flexible and will depend greatly on how he goes.

Keep us informed of how your plans develope.

Cheers
Old 01-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Admiral

@ Solero,

You are aware, I assume, of the fact that any dog entering the UK with a pet passport must do so from a ferry or an aircraft. You are not allowed to enter the UK with a dog aboard a pleasure craft without going through the usual quarantine procedures.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
Ensign

Thanks Stephen, we only found out about that recently and are looking at bringing him in (from AUS) through the UK. But not sure whether that will make a difference. We are going to ask on this trip this year as to what the exact rules are.

Any info you have would be appreciated.

Also I have seen your yachts name mention in cruising guides for the Baltic. Have you released a book on cruising in that area?

Thanks

Dave
Old 01-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
Admiral

Dave, I am no expert but the appropriate current EU legislation governing the movements of pets in Europe can be found here . Unfortunately, this is not an easily read piece of legislation so take good time to examine it. Please also note that some countries, for example Sweden, do not permit direct import from the UK without the dog having "resided" in the UK for a minimum of 3 months. This, in fact, is the same as the Swedish quarantine period so, I suppose, the Swedish authorities are just "passing the buck" here.

Dogs may enter the UK from certain, listed non-EU countries, including Australia, under the so called PET Travel Scheme (PETS). Details of that scheme can be found here

As I mentioned earlier, this is far from my field of competence but I hope the little information I have been able to give is of help.

Re the cruising guide, well, no. Unfortunately I have not produced any cruising guide to the Baltic although the thought is tempting. I have contributed to the Wiki but not as much as I would like to have done (pressures of time and work). When you get to the area, I would encourage you to contribute too, not least regarding information about travelling with animals.

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
Ensign

Greetings from S/V Vision, Home Port, Tacoma, WA! We too are planning the world cruising adventure and at first we couldn't imagine going anywhere without our lovable little friends, and our 100 lb Rotty. After doing the regular research we realized we couldn't possibly put them through the torture of quarantine as well as lack of running room on the boat. My other concern would be the dog breaking his leg while the boat self tacks in a storm. We'll have a difficult enough time not breaking our own legs I figure. All in all, we know how hard it will be when the time arrives, but it'll be best for the furry critters. Hope this helps knowing that others are going through the same difficult decisions. Take care & keep working toward your dream of cruising!

Kristin
Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
Ensign

Hello,

do not hesitate to take your dog with you. We live on board since April 2008, cruising in the Mediterranean sea, and we enjoy without words the company of Scuba. She is a Portuguese Waterdog ( famous breed since Mr Obama...) She never been sick, she does her needs on the deck when we sail for long trips ( she would not take the initiative, you need to walk with her!), and she gave us once an alarm that was quite a help.

She has an European Passport, delivered by any vet. and a chip.

In Majorca we met an american sailor, also with a Portuguese Waterdog, and they are sailing together since 8 years. If you want his contact send me a mail.

ovni.jad@gmail.com

See here pictures of Scuba, our wonderful companion: http://www.ovnijad.com/PT/OVNIJAD_PT/Scuba.html

All the best

Philippe

www.ovnijad.com
Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #12
Ensign

Hi Stephen

Thank you very much for the links most appreciated. When we sail from Norway to the UK he looks like he'll be on a ferry.

Tacoma

Hope it all works out and good luck with the long term plans. Let us know.

Philippe

Thank you so much for your post. The photo's are great, Scuba looks like she's having a ball.

Dave
Old 02-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solero View Post
Hi Stephen

Thank you very much for the links most appreciated. When we sail from Norway to the UK he looks like he'll be on a ferry.
Pleasure. I hope all works out well for you and you four/legged friend

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #14

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Traveling with your pets is realistic depending on where you're going. It appears that you have gotten great info from Stephen and you'll have your situation all figured out.

The issues which are most important in the general case have to do with the rabies situation in the country you're traveling to and the most recent country you are coming from. So, when we were thinking about traveling with our pets, we looked at the places we'd like to visit and whether they were rabies free--or not. We were willing to modify our own travel plans to fit. We also realized that a few countries that we'd like to visit would require that we leave our pets for a while with friends or family. Anyone who has pets may find that to be necessary from time-to-time. Or, the pet owner may find that they can have their pet flown to them after they've done a particularly difficult passage--rather than taking the pet on the arduous passage.

The rabies quarantine periods are being revised by various countries as the rabies serum testing is now available. You may find it that a country of interest to you will have more favorable quarantine rules in the upcoming year or two. I mentioned on another post that Hawaii has recently changed it quarantine law from 120 days (4 months) to 5 days (or less!) if one has the proper testing of the animal and documentation of the pet's previous rabies shots. So, things do change!

Here is a list of rabies-free countries which you may find useful in the future. This list is provided by http://www.pettravel.com/passports_quarant...abies_rules.cfm :

Rabies Free Countries

This classification is generally given to these countries:

Antigua

Australia**

Bali

Barbados

British Virgin Islands

Cayman Islands

England

Fiji

French Polynesia (Tahiti)

Guam

Hawaii

Iceland

Ireland

Jamaica

Japan

Malaysia

Malta

New Caledonia

New Zealand**

Republic of Ireland

Saint Lucia

Scotland

Singapore

Sweden

St. Kitts & Nevis

St. Vincent and The Grenadines

Taiwan

Turks & Caicos Islands

United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man)

Uruguay

Vatican

NOTE: Australia and New Zealand are considered to be Third Countries by the European Union, and rules for entry are different than for rabies free countries.

Good luck to anyone traveling with pets.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
Admiral

As a general indicator, the above list may be of some use but I have my doubts about its accuracy. I am completely certain that, for example, Norway and Denmark are rabies free yet they do not figure on the list.

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 02-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #16

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
As a general indicator, the above list may be of some use but I have my doubts about its accuracy. I am completely certain that, for example, Norway and Denmark are rabies free yet they do not figure on the list.

Aye // Stephen
I suspect that there is some criteria regarding island nations which differs from others which border nations with some record of rabies. Don't know what it would be since Sweden makes its way onto that list. It may simply be that these nations have declared themselves rabies free whereas Norway and Denmark have no certainty regarding the matter therefore they've not declared it.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #17
Ensign

Home Port: Brooklyn (Sydney)
Vessel Name: Yantara

Bali, which is on the list, has a rabies epidemic at the moment, at least according to Radio National this morning, with many thousands of dogs having been destroyed.

http://www.abc.net.au/ra/asiapac/sto...2/s2822842.htm
Old 02-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #18
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
I suspect that there is some criteria regarding island nations which differs from others which border nations with some record of rabies. Don't know what it would be since Sweden makes its way onto that list. It may simply be that these nations have declared themselves rabies free whereas Norway and Denmark have no certainty regarding the matter therefore they've not declared it.
No idea. The last recorded incident of rabies in Scandinavia was, I believe, 2004 when a rabid arctic fox found its way from Russia into Finland.

Denmark, bordering Germany, may well be a different issue.

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 02-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #19
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Also remember that some of these statements of rabies free is not the truth. The UK has a low level on going problem with rabies that is not talked about except in the circles that deal with it. It does not surprise me that they claim rabies free even though in reality they are not.

Best bet is know what documentation you need to legally enter the country and make sure you have it. In the EU the best bet is to not go to the UK first but to go to Continental Europe and get you pet chipped and a pet passport with having the proper documents upon entering. Once that is done than problems with UK pretty much vanish as long as you keep your documents up to date. Warning there are folks who will try to give you a hard time anyway in part of the UK and best bet is know the law and show them the LAW. they tend to back down when they are shown that they are pulling crud.

Other than that Most of the EU is very laid back and as long as you get the animal chipped and proper health documents (which you need to get the chip) most will not even give you a second look.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #20
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
No idea. The last recorded incident of rabies in Scandinavia was, I believe, 2004 when a rabid arctic fox found its way from Russia into Finland.

Denmark, bordering Germany, may well be a different issue.

Aye // Stephen
... as special (national) regulations apply to Sweden, Ireland, Malta and Great Britain / Northern Ireland, all other EC countries have the same regulations:

- pets need an electronic identification (an implanted micro chip). Make sure that this chip can be read out in the EU, otherwise the pet holder has to take along a reading advice. (Until 2011 it is still allowed that pets carry an identification tatoo.)

- you need to carry a pet's passport that can be issued by your local vetenarian. This passport has to contain the infos about the necessary vaccination (esp. rabies).

Special regulations for Germany: American Staffordshire-Terrier, Staffordshire-Bullterrier and similar (dangerous) races are not allowed into Germany. No problem for all other friendly dogs. Dogs have to be on leash in many bigger german cities - ask local authorities/police.

Denmark: It is strictly forbidden to bring Pit-Bullterriers and Tosas (or any mixed breed with one of these) into Denmark: Severe fines, imprisonment, dog wil be killed. *ALL dogs have to be on leash on beaches between April 1st and September 30th and in forests all year round.

Entering the EU from outside the EU:

Entering from* Andorra, Iceland, Kroatia, Monaco or Norway: same as travelling between countries inside the EU. (But when traveling from EU countries into one of these, own national rules apply!)*

Entering from all other countries:

Things get complicated (as many rules that originate in Brussels) and I tried to create some structure by using colours :

The EU distinguishes between countries that have a similar rabies-situation as the EU:

List (Annex II, Part 3) from Nov. 18. 2008 - it will be actualized, if necessary:

• Antigua und Barbuda

• Argentina

• Aruba

• Ascension

• Australia

• Bahrain

• Barbados

• Belarus

• Bermuda

• BVI

• Chile

• Falkland Islands

• Fidschi

• French-Polynesia

• Hongkong

• Jamaika

• Japan

• Kaiman Islands

• Kanada

• Malaysia

• Mauritius

• Mayotte

• Mexiko

• Montserrat

• New Kaledonia

• Newseeland

• Netherland Antillies

• Russian Federation

• Singapur

• St. Helena

• St. Kitts und Nevis

• St. Pierre und Miquelon

• St. Vincent and the Grenadines

• Taiwan

• Trinidad und Tobago

• Vanuatu

• UAE

• USA

• Wallis and Futuna

"...under* *Regulation (EC) No 998/2003 a list of third countries was to be drawn up before 3 July 2004. To be included on that list, a third country should demonstrate its rabies status and that it complies with certain conditions relating to notification, monitoring, veterinary services, prevention and control of rabies and regulation of vaccines"

... and still other third countries.

CHAPTER III

Conditions relating to movements from third countries

Article 8

1. At the time of movement, pet animals of the species listed in parts

A and B of Annex I shall:

( a ) when they come from a third country listed in section 2 of part B

and in part C of Annex II, and enter:

(i) one of the Member States listed in section 1 of part B of Annex

II, satisfy the requirements of Article 5(1)
(see further down)

(ii) one of the Member States listed in part A of Annex II, either

directly or after transit through one of the territories listed in

part B of Annex II, satisfy the requirements of Article 6;

( b ) when they come from another third country and enter:

(i) one of the Member States listed in section 1 of part B of Annex

II:

— be identified by means of the identification system defined

in Article 4, and

— have undergone:

— anti-rabies vaccination in accordance with the

requirements of Article 5, and

— a neutralising antibody titration at least equal to 0,5 IU/

ml carried out on a sample taken by an authorised veterinarian

at least 30 days after vaccination and three

months before being moved.

The antibody titration need not be renewed on a pet

animal which has been revaccinated at the intervals

laid down in Article 5(1).

This three-month period shall not apply to the re-entry

of a pet animal whose passport certifies that the titration

was carried out, with a positive result, before the animal

left the territory of the Community;

(ii) one of the Member States listed in part A of Annex II, either

immediately or after transit through one of the territories listed

in part B of Annex II, be placed in quarantine unless they have

▼B

2003R0998— EN— 16.03.2007 — 010.001— 6

been brought into conformity with the requirements of Article 6

after their entry into the Community.

2. Pet animals must be accompanied by a certificate issued by an

official veterinarian or, on re-entry, by a passport certifying compliance

with the provisions of paragraph 1.

3. Notwithstanding the above provisions:

( a ) pet animals from the territories listed in section 2 of part B of

Annex II for which it has been established, under the procedure

laid down in Article 24(2), that such territories apply rules at least

equivalent to Community rules as provided for in this Chapter, shall

be subject to the rules laid down in Chapter II;

( b ) the movement of pet animals between, respectively, San Marino, the

Vatican and Italy, Monaco and France, Andorra and France or

Spain, and Norway and Sweden may continue under the conditions

laid down by national rules in force on the date laid down in the

second paragraph of Article 25;

( c ) in accordance with the procedure laid down in Article 24(2) and on

conditions to be determined, the entry of unvaccinated pet animals

under three months old of the species listed in part A of Annex I

from the third countries listed in parts B and C of Annex II may be

authorised where the rabies situation in the country concerned so

warrants.

4. The arrangements for implementing this Article, and in particular

the model certificate, shall be adopted in accordance with the procedure

laid down in Article 24(2).

Article 5 1. When being moved, pet animals of the species listed in parts A and B of Annex I must, without prejudice to the requirements laid down in Article 6: ( a ) be identified in accordance with Article 4, and ( b ) be accompanied by a passport issued by a veterinarian authorised by the competent authority certifying valid anti-rabies vaccination, or revaccination if applicable, in accordance with the recommendations of the manufacturing laboratory, carried out on the animal in question with an inactivated vaccine of at least one antigenic unit per dose (WHO standard). 2. Member States may authorise the movement of animals listed in parts A and B of Annex I which are under three months old and unvaccinated, if they are accompanied by a passport and have stayed in the place in which they were born since birth without contact with wild animals likely to have been exposed to the infection or are accompanied by their mothers on whom they are still dependent.

... I hope this is of any help

Uwe

SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote