Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > Pets, Children & Guests
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-05-2012, 02:01 AM   #21
Lieutenant

Home Port: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sooke
Send a message via MSN to BJSmith

I have come to the conclusion the best pet that I know of for cruisers is a 8 or 9 year child (blonde hair is the best) I can't count the number of times cruising friends have told me how much fun they had when visiting the atolls and islands of the Pacific using kids as an introduction. Kids adapt very well to the lifestyle. They can be taught to sand teak woodwork, stand short watches,and they don't drink your cold beer. New Zealand and Australia will not incinerate them if they go ashore imediately after landfall.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:38 AM   #22
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

^And, as a general rule, they are toilet trained.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #23
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

some local tribes would even love to have them over for dinner. Well done, kid!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Anyone who thinks cats are useless has never had a rodent on board. Mine's dispatched a dozen or so over the years, and I even loaned her out to another boat who were plagued with a rat below decks. She sat in the one spot not moving for about 12 hours, and eventually came forth with the rat (dead) between her teeth.

Having said that, Jack Russells are pretty good against the rats too, perhaps not as patient as cats but they are small and fast enough to make the kill when it counts.

Rats are the worst pests to have on board for any number of reasons.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #25
Rear Admiral

Default One Saturday morning

Now I just know I'm going to get hate mail for this but we all thought it was funny at the time and whenever I come across the subject of dogs afloat it always comes to mind.

Saturday morning at our local Whitworths chandlery, understaffed, over crowded and we're all standing in long lines waiting at the checkout while some teenage girls who wouldn't know one end of a vessel from the other battle with identifying a host of marine parts that could be alien artifacts for all they know.

We're in Cairns, Far North Queensland and its hot and the aircon is on the blink.

The door opens.

In marches an old dear, complete with pearls and a midget dog under her arm she later identifies as Pepi. The poor embarrassed mutt has a hair cut that would put a punk rocker to shame as she steps to the front of the line and demands to know what are the best lifejackets for her precious Pepi and someone needs to show her where they are?

To her credit, the youngster at the counter did rustle up the courage to pipe up and say she would have to go to the back of the line please.

The blue rinse dear lady took no notice and insisted that someone show her immediately the best jacket for Pepi.

Forgive me all you dog lovers but I couldn't resist speaking up.

'Sure, I can help you there' I replied. 'What you want are the dog jackets with the reflective tape on the collar'

'Really? she beamed back. Are they better? she asked.

To which I replied…

"I have no idea but the reflective tape sure attracts the fish when you are trawling with them!"

I swear, the girl behind the counter peed her pants along with half the guys waiting in line as she stormed out.

We never saw Pepi again

Fair winds,

Mico
Old 11-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #26
Commander

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Gone Troppo

Spanish Water dogs.
If you don't already have a pet, I would agree with Reboot and recommend you cruise for awhile before getting one.

Stephen

Crowther Windspeed 36

www.gonetroppo.org
GoneTroppo is offline   Reply With Quote