Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > Pets, Children & Guests
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Ny
Default What is the best suited dog for blue water cruising?

We are looking forward to getting our boat soon, we know the disadvantages of having an animal on board, but still would like to bring a dog with us. Can anyone provide advice on a small breed that does well?

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: Skövde

I have a Parson Russel Terrier and it's a perfect dog to have onboard! My dog is very athletic and have no problem going around the boat. He is also very adaptable and have no problem going to a new place every day, actually he really likes it. The dog is also very small and have no problem with small areas since the race is a burrow-race. The race needs to be activated but have no probelm laying arounf for a day or so. Though one thing you need to keep in mind if you bring a dog is that they need to do there needs. You can't be on the sea for to long, they need to pee and so! Except that the dog is never a problem, just good company

Old 01-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks!
We were thinking about a jack russell, but I will look up Parsons terrier. I so appreciate your feedback!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Ensign

We want to circumnavigate, do you know of places we might have problems bringing a dog along?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:50 AM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Lots of places with problems. If you don't already have a beloved pet, I'd suggest that you plan on cruising without one. I love animals and have had cats for all my life, but when our last cat passed away we decided not to get another until we're no longer cruising or something changes in the international world making it easier to cruise with pets.

You might check out these pet related CL threads.

One of our members, Gypseastwo, has numerous threads about their recent cruising--and they have two cats-- Here's a search of all their threads:

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/sea...?searchid=2795

Other posts about dogs and cats--
http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f12...sels-3653.html
http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f12...-cats-304.html
http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f12...ific-3223.html
http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f33...oard-1703.html

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatheremmett1 View Post
We are looking forward to getting our boat soon, we know the disadvantages of having an animal on board, but still would like to bring a dog with us. Can anyone provide advice on a small breed that does well?

Thanks!
From time immemorial dogs accompanied sailors. There are numerous written evidence. And even some early photos

Click image for larger version

Name:	French_Bulldog_on_Submarine_1917.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1804

Lieutenant Commander Frank Jack Fletcher, USN, Commanding officer of Margaret (SP-527) at left; talking with Lieutenant Stuart O. Greig, USN, Commanding officer of K-6 (SS-37) on board the K-6 at Horta, Fayal, Azores, in December 1917. Note the dog.

Our dog (also French Bulldog) is a part of our family. He is a great sailor and best friend. Some other breeds are good hunters, some are great patrol dogs. And for French Bulldog the meaning of all his life is to be your most loving friend, nothing more and nothing less. He will never run away from you, will always be watching all your moods and ready to cheer you up, always smile to you and play with you. He never gives up and always, does everything from the heart. Full of energy and optimism.
"Do or do not. There is no try." - this is his attitude to life. His a great dog, but your true love is vital for him.
He is afraid of nobody and this is a problem. He never starts the fight with other dogs first, but if offended or protecting you he will fight to the end, no matter how big or how many opponents he has - you need to avoid these situations and protect him, as he protects you

Check this great book :
"Doggy on Deck: Life at Sea with a Salty Dog Absolutely Everything You Need to Know Before Cruising with Fido"
Amazon.com: Doggy on Deck: Life at Sea with a Salty Dog Absolutely Everything You Need to Know Before Cruising with Fido: Everything Else

This book helped us to find the answer to the main question: "How does he go potty on board?"
Old 02-12-2012, 04:01 AM   #7

Heather,

Have you had dogs in the past? If so, what breed(s) did you have?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: Shannon
Vessel Name: Athena
Send a message via Skype™ to Solo9

The best boat animal is a cat. I have a Norwegian Forest Cat. Cats are quiet, small, affectionate, warm and are provided by nature with four wheel drive.
Vive le Cat! - as they say in swahili1
Old 02-13-2012, 02:35 AM   #9

I grew up with dogs and cats myself, but hubby and I have only had cats. That's 30 years of cats. Mostly Maine Coon but we did have one Norwegian Forest Cat. He was more interactive with other people than the Maine Coon cats were. Don't know if that was just his personality or what. At present we are without a pet (since the boat cat passed away almost two years ago) and we thought we'd stay pet-less. However, we are craving a cat. LOL.

We have pics of our ship's cat here

Here's a pic of Skog (the NFC) greeing trick-or-treaters and handing out candy. Always nice when the cat does all the work!

Old 02-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Ensign

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all of your helpful responses! My sweetie and I have had both dogs and cats in the past, we are leaning towards a cat, nut are just in the process of buying our boat now. Hopefully taking possession Ina month and 2 days...but who's counting! We are going to wait until we get her and acclimate first! Any advice on provisioning, and receiving medications while sailing would be highly appreciated. I'm epileptic, and have to get my meds....there are also pain meds I take that I have to visit my doctor every month to get. Also, I want to set up a really good first aid kit, and would love to know of any books on first aid on the water I would love to have them. We are going to be cruising...so all of this is super important as we will not always have access to a port.

Thanks! Heather
Old 02-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Ensign

Skog is the SPLITTING image of Thomas - down to the mannerisms! Exactly the same colouring. It's uncanny!
Thomas' greeting is call that is a half-purr.
He is very demanding. He has been top of the pecking order for 12 years - ahead of two labridors, a minature sausage, another cat, three adults and five children! He used to strut around the property and ruled his kingdom with a rod of iron, until he was injured by being kicked by a neighbour. He now has a stainless steel hip and is not nearly so dictatorial, but every now and then there is flash of the old spirit - if ignored he takes the nearest bit of skin gently (?) in his teeth and pulls until you yell! He gets attention!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #12

Solo--Both Skog (the Norwegian Forest Cat) and the ship's cat Beamer (a Maine Coon Cat) looked very much alike. However the NFC was smaller--he was about 18 lbs and fat! whereas the MCC was 24 lbs and not fat at all.

In regards to another "ship's cat" for us, we are likely to try and find one more the size of the NFC because the MCC was really a big, BIG cat to have aboard. He couldn't even go into a regular litter box, we had to make one big enough for him to get into. Similarly, his cat carrier was actually a dog carrier and took up a fair bit of space aboard.

Heather--glad to hear that you're thinking about kitty cats as well. They are a bit more flexible in terms of space and ability to live aboard. Certain breeds are better than others with change in their lives so you might want to make sure that you get one that is OK with the lifestyle you're embarking on.

You're also bringing up some very important questions about health issues aboard. There are some other first-aid related threads here. If you do a search you'll find these:

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f12...isers-882.html
http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f12...-kit-4889.html
http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f12...-aid-5809.html

I have copied your post to the first one and responded there (rather than in this thread on dogs/cats).

Fair winds.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
One of Those

Home Port: Providenciales
Vessel Name: S/V Twisted Sheets

I can't comment on cruising with a dog..yet. We are working on that. But I can speak as to the adaptability of one Jack Russel Terrieriest to boats. Our's has lived with us here in these islands for six years, and he absolutely loves boats. He is sure footed, and swims great. He's the first one in the water. We've had him on our center consoles ( much slamming) and he rides on the tramps of our Hobie Tandem Island when we are sailing that. He's a great boat watchdog, for whatever boat he's on at the moment becomes HIS boat. I could rent him out for killing rats if the opportunity ever arose. He's incredible at it.
I think he's smart enough to figure out the new procedures for biological functions if we take the time to go over it with him slowly the first few times. I think I can find something that will work with him. they're smart dogs. don't eat much, either.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
Ensign

If you're going to have a dog on a boat, a Jack Russel is it!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #15
Captain, Sailboat Reboot

Home Port: None
Vessel Name: Reboot
Send a message via AIM to svReboot

Having watched numerous people with dogs on boats I suggest you postpone acquisition until you have cruised at least a year. Almost every boat I know has at least one member of the crew that would "love to get rid of the damn dog." Usually this is the husband who is tasked with taking it ashore in all sorts of weather to do its business. Having a dog on a boat is nothing, I repeat nothing, like having a dog on shore unless you really don't live on the boat but live at a marina.

I have a cat, a Tonkinese, known by breeders as the "cat that thinks he is a dog." Very affectionate and playful. Even so traveling with him is a very large expense. I single hand so I am resigned to the cost for the company. But I seem to remember you started out with "we."
Web Site: https://www.sailboatreboot.com
Blog:https://blog.sailboatreboot.com
svReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
Ensign

Got it!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #17
tel
Lieutenant

Dead. Frozen.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

I love dogs but having one on board your boat to me is just cruel...they need space and not to be confined on a yacht ...
Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #19
One of Those

Home Port: Providenciales
Vessel Name: S/V Twisted Sheets

My problem with cats ( and I've had a number of them over the years) is that they are basically useless. Might as well have a bird.

Speaking of birds, my biggest problem with cats is that they indiscriminately kill small animals for the fun of it.

We've got a Jack Russell Terrier, he loves boats and the ocean. He's a great burglar deterrent, and watchdog. He loves to swim. He's intelligent company, compared to a lot of other life forms I could name.

There are a number of other dog breeds that do well with boats.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibul View Post
My problem with cats ( and I've had a number of them over the years) is that they are basically useless. Might as well have a bird.

Speaking of birds, my biggest problem with cats is that they indiscriminately kill small animals for the fun of it.
Wow--you've really had some duds as cats haven't you.

I keep our boatcat indoors--she doesn't get the chance to be outside unsupervised. Therefore--no kills. Useless? I don't know. Depends on what you want. If you want something to bark and scare away people, yep, cats are useless. If you want an affectionate and smart companion, cats are great!

Here's hubby with our cat: