Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f29/)
-   -   Slivers Of Soap (http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f29/slivers-of-soap-3480.html)

MMNETSEA 11-04-2009 10:08 PM

I have a huge collection of slivers of soap - was wondering how I could reconstitute them into reasonable size bars/tablets . I Googled and found THIS .

Delightful discourse described between traveler and hotel staff

Are there other ways that cruisers use to achieve the same objective?

atavist 11-05-2009 12:34 PM

funny article...

as it says you actually can melt soap slivers down and add them back together to make a larger bar, that's what I do... just shred them up like cheese, add a little water and heat them on the stove, be sure that it does not boil, once liquid take off the heat and pour into whatever molds you want, and let cool... easy peasy.

chiroeurope 11-05-2009 05:58 PM

Yep it is the way soap has been formed and made for a very long time. another you can do is take the slivers and grate them up and add heated water and make liquid soap for use on hands and dishes (also works on hard stains depending on the type of soap you use.

Hope this helps a bit.

pragmatist 11-06-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMNETSEA (Post 37874)
I have a huge collection of slivers of soap - was wondering how I could reconstitute them into reasonable size bars/tablets . I Googled and found THIS .

Delightful discourse described between traveler and hotel staff

Are there other ways that cruisers use to achieve the same objective?

Sir's granny used to warm them in water and squeeze together. As a child I used to help with the white elephant stall at the village fete and they sold hand-made foam envelopes (take a small piece of thin foam - say 6 inches by 3 inches - fold over and sew up the sides - then insert sliver of soap and use for washing yourself).

P

Coyote 11-13-2009 06:49 PM

I have heard that soap manufacturers know that you can't use a bar of soap all the way down, so they tend to use filler at the center. I have no idea if this is true or not, but if it is true, it reduces the value of reconstituting the slivers.

caddyspanker 12-02-2011 02:31 AM

I am glad I read this. I really need to follow the instructions and make use of those little soap pices.