Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/)
-   The Bosun's Locker (http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   A fishing boat for me (http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f42/a-fishing-boat-for-me-6054.html)

jibsail 03-08-2012 10:54 PM

A fishing boat for me

1 Attachment(s)
Hello All

Long time absent from these forums. Anyway past few months since my retirement from blue water cruising and trying to sell my Indonesian phinisi. I have found the ideal boat right here in the Philippines. Built by the master boatbuilders of Sibuto, Tawi Tawi (around 12 miles from Kalimantan - Indonesia), the balangay (name given to traditional boats) are ideal for local inshore fishing when fitted with a hauler and engine. They are also good sea boats and a recent expedition took one of them through the Sulu Sea to Manila, then to Palawan, cambodia, Singapore, back along the east malaysian coast = Borneo, Sabah, to Tawi Tawi.

Soon as i can get a buyer for my present boat as I no longer live aboard her, we can proceed ahead with the balangay.

redbopeep 03-09-2012 02:51 AM

Oh--what a pretty set of sails!

Welcome back. You'll have to regale us with your stories of what you've done while involved in the cruising!

JeanneP 03-10-2012 10:06 PM

Indonesia has the most colorful, painted, decorated, lively, boats we've seen. Everything in Indonesia is decorated and colorful. Beautiful.

redbopeep 03-10-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeanneP (Post 32689)
Indonesia has the most colorful, painted, decorated, lively, boats we've seen. Everything in Indonesia is decorated and colorful. Beautiful.

That reminds me of the thread on the Sail Morotai 2012 event:

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f21...ines-6025.html

Steady Hand 07-03-2014 12:57 AM

I see this is an old thread.

But I too wanted to give a comment on the Vera pretty sails on that boat. Very nice. I have never seen such decorative sails on a boat.

Which makes me think of another topic for this forum.

Jibsail, may I repost that photo in another topic/thread here please? I will send pm as well, but putting request here in the original thread just in case. I will credit you as the photographer, I simply want to use the photo to illustrate the other topic. I hope you will agree and understand. :)

Moderators: I am new here and want to do the right thing

jibsail 07-03-2014 02:25 AM

Hello

I think you are referring to the traditional saliing boat in the Philippines - Dwata ng Lahi which was a support vessel for the Everest Expedition to retrace the route of immigration from Malaya, Indo China etc to the Philippines. It was called Everest Expedition as some members of the crew were part of a Himalayan Climbing expedition.

These boats are still seen the Sulu Sea - Tawi Tawi but a much smaller size than that shown in the Pic.

By all means use it in another thread, and no need to credit me as it was taken by a professional photogapher assigned to the voyage. Any quesries about the voyage can be found by googling Philippine Everest expedition or philippines balanghay. The leader of the expedition was a mr Jubail Myong resident in Tawi Tawi and a college professor at the Mindinao University in Bongao, Tawi Tawi.

Steady Hand 07-03-2014 01:01 PM

Jibsail,

Thank you for your reply, permission, and the additional info. :)

Smooth sailing!