Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/)
-   Pacific & Australasia (http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   Changing to NZ Registration (http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f52/changing-to-nz-registration-9594.html)

VernonJ 01-02-2017 08:04 PM

Changing to NZ Registration

Hi
I brought a S&S 36 in Australia 3 years ago and have been cruising the QLD coast.
2017 I plan on sailing out to New Cal and north to Vanuatu. My boat is registered in QLD but is not Australian registered so as it stands I can not sail to other countries.
To get my boat Oz registered would be a massive undertaking and maybe not even possible.
I am a NZ citizen though and after some quick searching it seems I could re-register my boat in NZ.
Has anyone here got experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgF...bewXrksprcvFJA

haiqu 01-07-2017 05:26 AM

Totally doable, but you need to be in NZ and have a NZ postal address before it can be done since paperwork has to be personally presented. Once done the registration must be renewed every five years. If you ever visit NZ in the yacht there is a downside, you can't leave again without a Cat 1 inspection which is costly. Other than that you could travel the world with no issues at all.

I considered this for my yacht, which has no known history and was built in 1984 so tracing the details is a nightmare. In such situations it's often simpler to sell the yacht and buy already one on the Australian registry than to fulfil the requirements for registration. Since I own a property in NZ and have te right to live there (as an Aussie) the above solution has some merit.

VernonJ 08-27-2017 11:21 AM

You were nearly right. I ended up doing it and it was very easy! I did it all online from Australia and it was a breeze! Within 2 weeks I had the digital version and a week later the laminated paper version(via my mums address).
It costs $1000 and lasts only 5 years.
As it turns out there are some downsides. I have since sold my boat and the rego isn't transferable and there is no refund.
So all in all, very easy to do but very expensive and a total rip-off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by haiqu (Post 45211)
Totally doable, but you need to be in NZ and have a NZ postal address before it can be done since paperwork has to be personally presented. Once done the registration must be renewed every five years. If you ever visit NZ in the yacht there is a downside, you can't leave again without a Cat 1 inspection which is costly. Other than that you could travel the world with no issues at all.

I considered this for my yacht, which has no known history and was built in 1984 so tracing the details is a nightmare. In such situations it's often simpler to sell the yacht and buy already one on the Australian registry than to fulfil the requirements for registration. Since I own a property in NZ and have te right to live there (as an Aussie) the above solution has some merit.

haiqu 09-01-2017 11:53 PM

Hmmmm looks like they changed the rules since I last enquired. In my case I'd still have to be there, since nobody lives at the house when I'm away and the paperwork would just end up sitting on the floor of the garage and eventually get ruined.