Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Does anyone have current experience of this ?

I have just been told that there is a huge fee to pay, based on loa x beam, if your boat stays longer than 3 months. This is not mentined in the Imray Greek Waters Pilot, edition 9

Steelfan

steelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
Ensign

Hi having just got back from sorting out leaving my boat over the winter in Greece the only real up to daate advice is - do all the paper work first so that when you go to the port police to register your boat - you have everything. They are really nice people - and try to help.

They will give you a passport of sorts for your boat and you must stamp in and out every time you move from one port to another.

YOu need to have your ownership papers and the boats citizenship papers...registration papers. Passports of course and insurance papers plus a survey - if you have one that states your vessle is seaworthy.

Also there are some lovely smaller port areas where it it much cheaper to keep your boat - away from the marina issues which can be expensive and totally unneccessary in hassle.

good luck and a lovely place to sail

Old 11-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Also see the CruiserLog Wiki page on Greece.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfan View Post
Does anyone have current experience of this ?

I have just been told that there is a huge fee to pay, based on loa x beam, if your boat stays longer than 3 months. This is not mentined in the Imray Greek Waters Pilot, edition 9

Steelfan
We brought our yacht from Croatia to Greece in October of 2007. We entered at Corfu, Gouvia marina, and were told by the Port Authority that we would be required to pay 20 euro's per meter every 90 days that our boat remained in Greece.

I am working with Congressman Yarmuth to address this problem with the Greek authorities. However, I cannot find any referance to an actual law concerning this charge. If anyone seeing this posting could do some research on this Crusing Tax I would appreciate the help.

The Congressman has promised that he will ask our State Department to investigate once I can give him some hard facts.

NANETTE
Old 06-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Up-to-date information is available on our Cruising Wiki's GREECE PAGE - plus a huge amount of good, interesting info about cruising around the region (with many photos).

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greece