Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi,

I am about to enter the world of offshore cruising.I have some experience at inland water motorboat cruising but none offshore.I am contemplating to buy a motorboat in the near future.

I like to get prepared for all kinds of NAVIGATION electronic. celestrial etc.

To achieve this I like to start with DVD lessons which makes it more easy for me to understand.I searched the web for DVD's but since I acquired some DVD's already (not navigation) and I wasn't very happy with I like to ask this Forum if you have some favorable experience and suggestions which would be worth my money spend.bad weather DVD's to see how big swells are to be handled are wellcome.

Somebody out there can help me finding the right DVDs with title and web page would appreciated.

maybe you have such DVD's and like to sell!

regards

Rainer

Old 04-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
Admiral

Hello Rainer,

Here are some on-line sites that provide the type of navigational skills you are seeking :-

Course#1

Course#2

Course#3

Old 04-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
Ensign

[QUOTE=name='MMNETSEA' date='Apr 5 2008, 11:27 PM' post='19668']

Hello Rainer,

Here are some on-line sites that provide the type of navigational skills you are seeking :-

Course#1

Course#2

Course#3

Thank you, like it, no DVD recommendations?
Old 04-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaversand View Post
Thank you, like it, no DVD recommendations?
I am afraid not , you might check with the sites suggested , they may have as part of their courses.

In the meantime, while you wait for your boat - why not get yourself a map of the countryside where you are staying, one with latitude and longitude coordinates - and buy yourself a hand held GPS - practice plotting your position from the GPS and marking it off on the map.

Here is a link which has some good information : Maps
Old 04-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Ensign

why not get yourself a map of the countryside where you are staying, one with latitude and longitude coordinates - and buy yourself a hand held GPS - practice plotting your position from the GPS and marking it off on the map.

Thanks, good idea, would you have any recommandations on the GPS or does just any GPS do the trick?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
why not get yourself a map of the countryside where you are staying, one with latitude and longitude coordinates - and buy yourself a hand held GPS - practice plotting your position from the GPS and marking it off on the map.

Thanks, good idea, would you have any recommendations on the GPS or does just any GPS do the trick?
In terms of getting useful practice - the type of handheld GPS would be :- 1. One that you could use for marine positioning when you eventually get a boat; 2. Simple format but capable of connecting to other electronics; 3. Good antenna with provision to attach extension, 4. One that has low power consumption
Old 04-08-2008, 01:58 AM   #7

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

If you are located in the USA, you can take some great courses via your local Power Squadron and/or BoatUS. Its a lot more fun and better learning for many people to go through a classroom course. Your insurance company will usually be happy to see that you've been taking classes via the Power Squardon as well.

Also, there are orienteering clubs--you might find one close to you and practice traditional orienteering (land based) but still good experience.

Good Luck!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
Ensign

Also, there are orienteering clubs--you might find one close to you and practice traditional orienteering (land based) but still good experience.

Thanks................. but I live in Costa Rica
Old 05-07-2008, 04:13 AM   #9

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:

Thanks................. but I live in Costa Rica
Well, that makes it a little harder! If you can get topographic maps for your area, its great fun to take compass in hand and do a bit of hiking/orienteering.

About those nav resources---

We have a cruisers' resource here in San Diego--a bookstore called Seabreeze (http://www.seabreezelimited.com/) that is very good at helping folks find the books/charts/other resources they need. Of course, they sell them to you! But, the owner is a very knowledgeable woman. Send them an email detailing what you've tried and asking for a direction for appropriate DVD or CD/book based course. If its available, I'm pretty sure they'll have it or know about it.

Fair Winds

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation