Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Commander

Send a message via MSN to Qldcruiser
Angry

Hi All

I am sitting at home nursing a broken thumb after doing something I consider to be awfully stupid. The story goes something like this. We were sitting at anchor on Monday afternoon. Even after checking the weather report a number of times during the day the wind swung in from the north west which was a long way from the predicted south east. This wind change left us on a lee shore with about three hours of day light. I left it for 90 minutes before deciding that the wind was in fact building in strength. We decided that it be prudent to move to a better spot while there was still daylight.

So we began our procedure for pulling up the anchor with the engine running at about 1/2 throttle in neutral. with the wind on us I noticed the chain was skipping out of the gypsy so I stupidly used my hand to try to put some side on pressure on the chain. The rest is idiot tax as it grabbed my thumb and pulled it through, making an unsightly mess on my very white foredeck.

I have a quick Flairb 1400 vertical windlass, it says the gypsy is for 10mm links and I have 10 mm links but they seem on further inspection to be too long for the pawls in the gypsy.

Does anyone else have this or a similar sort of windlass as I would like to know if you have similar problems or if you dont the actual dimension of your chain links.

Your help would be apreciated as I am always a reluctant anchorer and my lack of confidence with the windlass is compounding my already existing reluctance.

Cheers

Rob & Annette

S/V Blue lady

Old 08-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Admiral

That was a Huge "OUCH !!!"

Check the Model off this Chart

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flair_Model_ID.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1074

Accordingly, the chain size should be 10mm Din 766

Name:	Flair_Chain_Size.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1075

High lighted are the measurements needed

Name:   Chain_Size.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  12.6 KB

High lighted are the specification for 10mm Din 766 Chain for your Windlass.

The critical measurements are the L and Ps.

Name:	Chain_Spec.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1077

------------------------------------------

I have the User Manual for this windlass, if required send me a PM with your Email Address

Richard

Old 08-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hopefully the useful links that MMNETSEA posted will clear things up about whether your particular windlass wildcat matches up nicely with the chain you are presently using.

If you discover the links are not the right size for use with your wildcat, your manufacturer may be able to get you a custom wildcat that will work best. When the previous owner changed the chain on our boat from 7/16" to 1/2" bbb, rather than just buy another wildcat, he sent a small section of the chain he'd purchased to the windlass manufacturer in order to ensure that he was getting the perfect fit. And, we've learned, it works great.

Best of luck to you

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
Admiral

Rob,

I forgot to add that if you have to replace the chain - make sure it is properly certificated as calibrated.

There is a lot of chain imported from China, much of which is below standard.

Good luck

Richard
Old 08-24-2009, 01:51 AM   #5
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

I second the "ouch" ... I did a similary dumb thing a few weeks ago when my anchor was dragging, I let chain out without using the windlass , .... I was lucky it just gave me a deep gash in the hand but didn't break anything....

Lesson learned... for both of us...

good luck... with the windlass and the hand

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:47 AM   #6
Admiral

Do you use leather gloves when anchoring or hauling anchor? *Peter has had far fewer cuts and gashes now that he wears them regularly. *I buy them 3 pairs at a time to be sure we always have a pair for both of us.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
Do you use leather gloves when anchoring or hauling anchor? *Peter has had far fewer cuts and gashes now that he wears them regularly. *I buy them 3 pairs at a time to be sure we always have a pair for both of us.
David typically forgets to carry his gloves forward when leaving the cockpit--so I shove them at him on the way.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Hopefully the useful links that MMNETSEA posted will clear things up about whether your particular windlass wildcat matches up nicely with the chain you are presently using.
Hi Red, these were not links as such but data extracts from the windlass manual and the Din code for the chain.

It is always interesting the way seafarer's language has evolved when describing boat equipment EG : 'Wildcat' - US ---- 'Gypsy'- English

Richard
Old 08-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
It is always interesting the way seafarer's language has evolved when describing boat equipment EG : 'Wildcat' - US ---- 'Gypsy'- English

Richard
What do you'all say to segregate between chain and rope windlass? Here--Wildcat is for chain, gypsy is for rope. Further, Navy folks I know insist that the only thing which is a "windlass" is a horizontal windlass. There being no such thing as a "vertical windlass" but rather that would be called a capstan. Do you have the same distinction?

Old 08-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
Admiral

IMHO:

Windlass - a horizontally fitted mechanical device, hand, electically, steam or hydraulic powered, for raising and letting go an anchor

Gypsy - the main hauling wheel of a windlass cut away to allow the cable to slot into and be hauled by the gypsy

drum end or warping drum - the drums at the extremities of the winfdlasses driving axel used for heaving on ropes amd lines

capstan - a vertically mounted device for hauling on ropes or even anchor cable

anchor cable - not cable but chain, the expression comes from the cables of sailing ships which were, in fact, cable-laid rope.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:44 AM   #11
Commander

Send a message via MSN to Qldcruiser

I must admit I am not comfortable with the term windlass for the vertical device but for the sake of what most people understand I went with windlass.

I don't wear gloves but will do in future. But given my stupidity the glove may well have made it worse. Lesson learned in Annette's words "next time you will keep your hands where they belong......now clean up your mess".

She was such a gentle soul when first we met and I introduced her to sailing...now however, she speaks her mind on her boat.

I look like I will have to replace the chain as quick only have the three different size gypsy's.

Boating is such fun!

Cheers All

Robert & Annette

S/V Blue Lady

Tags
anchor