Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Whats the best way to get into yacht delivery?

I am more interested in yacht delivery than cruising,I have put a number of ads on the cruising board without much success.Does anyone have any experience of yacht deliveries and what is the best way to get into it?

Old 09-17-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to dmlange825@yahoo.com

Hi lagos.

more info would clarify. are you a skipper? looking to crew? for money or for experience? I'll assume for the moment that you are looking to crew to make some money. Paying crew jobs are probably more available in different parts of the world. I began delivery work in the caribbean and in the work that goes between the islands and the US coast, crew is often paid. alot of insurance carrying boats need minimum crew and they get paid. Other areas of the world seem to only pay the skipper though some expenses get paid. tough to be crew unless you are willing to go along for the ride. I have to say, my first deliveries were all found in the pubs. Hang out with skippers and opps come. The more you are willing to learn makes you more sellable. I got my USCG 100ton masters and started looking for deliveries with companies. the money was less and the jobs always picked over by the senior skipper or owner of company. depends on the company if they pay crew. US skippers tended to pay minimal crew fees and flights. But plenty of companies still expect to find crew who will go for the lift or fun of it and often even require you pay your own flights. Have to stick it out to get to where you can get a return business and reputation. In the end, i found the best way was to hang out where you can meet skippers, and get started by word of mouth. if you are a consciencious, safe and reasonable skipper, you will be saught after a while. If you are a good mate, same goes. find skippers to follow around. make yourself useful.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi Donna ,thanks for the info,I am not a skipper,more of a 1st mate really although I don`t have any qualifications.I have done 2 Atlantic crossings so I have spent enough time at sea to know what is involved,I would be happy enough to get minimal fees and flights at the moment untill I get qualified.it sounds like the Caribbean is the best place to look.Do you have any delivery work coming up for yourself at the moment?

Tags
delivery