Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50
Default Need Boat Delivery Bundaberg to Melbourne

My wife and I may need our boat delivered from Bundaberg to Melbourne Australia. If you or someone you know in Australia is capable and reliable for boat delivery...please PM me

We will likely need delivery in a couple weeks.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

Talking

Hey Trim,

We're up here in Cairns and I have done the Brisbane to Melbourne - it's a bit of a slog heading down the NSW coast but doable. I'm heading up to Borneo next week for a couple of weeks to take ownership of our new vessel otherwise I'd hold up my hand. I do have however a mate down south who has done this trip a number of times and is based in Melbourne and may be interested in helping out. We sailed in company with him and his wife to Vanuatu and New Cal and they are very experienced and own a 60' something ketch they bought out from Germany. I'll email you their contact details and let them them know you may contact them as they are not part of this forum. Who knows - they may be interested.

My only question being an original Melbournite is 'why you would want to sail down there? -'it's wet, grey, cold and horrible! - as they say in the movies - go north young man!

Come north instead and there is every chance that you could use our house and car free of charge while we are sailing back from Borneo - heck - you could even use our 15m pen.

Fair winds,

Mico

Old 04-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Admiral

Well, I was offered a Job in Melbourne which will help pay for shipping the boat from Singapore to Turkey. The big question, do we leave the boat on the hard here in Bundaberg, or sail South to Melbourne with the boat?

It is a tough question to answer right now...
Old 04-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Hi Trim,

Aaaaah I see the problem. For what it's worth and at the risk of offending my Melbourne mates - here are some thoughts.

Melbourne does not have a lot of choices as far as affordable and sheltered marinas. Port Phillip Bay can get pretty rough at times and the general view is that it is under serviced in this area. Many vessels are moored but now with the new dredging of the entrance to the bay, the whole coast line is undergoing massive transformations as the increased water flow reeks havoc on the shorelines with the increased swells coming through. We have friends on moorings down at Portsea and along the coast back up to Melbourne on moorings and they are finding themselves being battered to blazes. It seems to be the case the more sheltered a position you seek (either mooring or marina) the prices go way up.

Port Phillip Bay and it's surrounds does provide some pleasant sailing ground but due to colder weather and shallowing coastlines - sailing opportunities are far more limited than up in Queensland where ther are more varied and the mooring and marina costs are far cheaper.

The friends I spoke about, like a few others we know have come to the conclusion that in order to increase their sailing opportunities and reduce costs, they are going to bring their yachts up to Bundie, Mackay, Whitsundays or even Cairns; leave them there and then fly up for sailing holidays. A sort of fly in fly out with cheap airfare now being readily available if you book ahead.

If you are not anticipating sailing a great deal down in Melbourne and this is purely a work issue - I'd leave it on the hard or in a marina up here in Queensland and when your get the urge and the opportunity - fly back and sail her in warmer and more varied sailing grounds.

While now being a Queenslander, I did grow up in Melbourne and sailed the bay there so I'm not totally biased but while down in Melbourne a few months ago we had a look over a number of marinas and turned to each other as we stood in our jumpers, thermals and overcoats, and said - gawd - why would you? (sorry Melbournites )

As is heard a fair bit over here 'want more sailing fun? then come to the sun'

Fair winds,

Mico (ducking for cover as my Melbourne mates pick up there baseball bats and come a hunting)
Old 04-25-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
Admiral

Mico,

Thanks for the insight. And yeah, you are confirming what my wife has been saying. It is most probable we will put Trim on the hard. I was just told that we have to leave the country for 4 weeks for our work visa processing.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

No problems Trim - you'll find that a lot easier and less stressful. You now want to get yourselves some bicycles for getting about in town - there are some fantastic bike paths. Oh and don't forget to drop into the Vic Markets and get a german hotdog - people travel from all over Oz to get one there.

Melbourne may not be the warmest of sailing grounds and the weather is often bleak but we travel down there quiet often when we are hankering for a bit of culture, great food and heaps of interesting things to do and see

Fair winds,

Mico
Old 04-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Bundaburg is pretty cost effective place to put your boat on the hard. I am in Port Douglas and in the past have enjoyed the services in Bundy. I plan to summer there next Christmas.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #8
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Mico,

Thanks for the insight. And yeah, you are confirming what my wife has been saying. It is most probable we will put Trim on the hard. I was just told that we have to leave the country for 4 weeks for our work visa processing.

I'll keep you posted.
Gooday You two. Great to see you're getting it together. Sorry you didn't make it up to Cairns but I'm sure we'll catch-up 1 day down the track. When we can sell this place - I'm going to SE Asia to get the tri I'm after & then back to Darwin to do the Darwin to Ambon race/cruise. I've a mate in Darwin & he's looking for a job for me up there. I've been away from North America so long - I'd just freeze in the cold - that's anywhere under 23*c - so I'm a big whimp.

You guys keep well & loads of good luck to you. Ciao, james
Old 04-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Ensign

If you decide to leave the boat on the hard in Bundaberg my guess is that the slip in the middle of town might well be your best bet. They have a "no work" hardstand area that is (was?) very reasonable. Walking distance to the CBD

Tags
delivery, melbourne