Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Hello there

Do you have any experience in chartering buisness? I'm considering a bigger boat, and I'm curious how hard it is to find people willing to pay for charter of the classic yacht (schooner with 5 berths for guests) with a crew of two? Is there any market for this kind of stuff?

Did anyone of you do something like this or maybe you know someone who did?

Thanks for any info

Piotrek

Old 01-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Ensign

An acquaintance has a 1939 Norwegian fishing boat on which he runs a charter business in British Columbia. This web site is http://www.duenadventures.com/ . Exploring his site might give you some ideas.

Jack

CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor

As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Ensign

The most difficult part of this endeavor is actually doing the charters.

I used to be in the charter business. We made a fortune and were booked up solid, but about 1/3 of the guests either:

1) Reversed credit card charges

2) Were violent drunks

3) Were just so mean it was almost unbearable.

I would suggest against this line of business unless you are really ready to have those kinds of people in your home.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Admiral

Sully,

What was your impression of the majority of your charter guests with regard to alcohol consumption? *I've noticed that some charter guests tend to consider any vacation as an excuse to stay semi-intoxicated all day long. *It would put a damper on my pleasure to have to cater to that. *

You had to smile a lot, didn't you? *What about the know-it-all sailor who tells you what you should be doing?

Any stories of good guests and sails?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

The folks I know who've chartered a classic yacht have made the most $$$ by doing daysails and using the boat for "youth sail training." Then, using that money earned, they cruise when/where they want to w/o the paying guests. To do this, you have to have more than a 6-pac CG license and your boat has to pass CG inspection--can't use an un-inspected vessel with 25 little "sailors in training" aboard.

Assuming you're looking for ways to pay for your cruising life and you're not looking for a new career. A "classic yacht" takes a lot more maintenance than a "regular yacht" You might be better off simply with a boat that better fits your cruising budget. If you desire a classic yacht, there are many out there--large and small--worthy of your time and efforts--and it is quite a nice feeling to be sailing a classic yacht.

Best of luck in whatever you do,

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Ensign

I've been cruising and chartering to pay my way for the last 10 years. Most of the time I've been doing 7-10 day trips with 6-8 guests on board and after a couple of early mistakes I would say that I have enjoyed the vast majority of the trips. The mistake was to take people 'blind' via the internet, or agents. The rest of the time I went and found my own guests so I could get a good idea of who they were before they got on board. After finding more than 1000 guests this way, I can only remember a handful that made my life hard. The money isn't great doing it this way but it has been enough to carry on cruising for 10 years and look after my boat too. If you want to make money, day-charters is the way to go. Good luck.

= Ko Lanta, Thailand,
lantamariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #7

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantamariner View Post
I've been cruising and chartering to pay my way for the last 10 years. Most of the time I've been doing 7-10 day trips with 6-8 guests on board and after a couple of early mistakes I would say that I have enjoyed the vast majority of the trips. The mistake was to take people 'blind' via the internet, or agents. The rest of the time I went and found my own guests so I could get a good idea of who they were before they got on board. After finding more than 1000 guests this way, I can only remember a handful that made my life hard. The money isn't great doing it this way but it has been enough to carry on cruising for 10 years and look after my boat too. If you want to make money, day-charters is the way to go. Good luck.
I take it that since you have more than 6 guests on board (in USA) you have an inspected vessel? How has that worked out? Further, how did taking paying guests impact your insurance coverage and costs?

Oops, I see from your profile that you are in Thailand? What are the regulations there for charter yachts (as you are one)? Especially foreign owned ones? Also, did you register in your home country, get appropriate certs and insurance? Or, in Thailand?

The legal and administrative details of chartering are beyond what we usually get into discussion here on CL and we don't advocate for folks to use their yachts illegally by not having all the licensing and insurance required for the country or region being cruised with paying passengers. The CL free crewfinder does not accept ads for paying crew for these and other reasons.

However, I am curious whether you've managed to do your chartering within the regulatory requirements of Thailand?

Thanks,

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:00 AM   #8
Ensign

Hello Brenda,

The USA and Europe have very much more regulation regarding this than some other parts of the world, including Thailand. Loosely speaking, Thai authorities are not concerned if the 'charter' is international and if the business is not solicited or paid for in Thailand. As such, this means that I operated 'not too illegally' and there are others who continue to do this.

I have since ceased to operate in this way but intend to use my boat for day charters. I will now have to be 'squeaky clean' to do this. In order to be fully legal here in Thailand, the following must be true;
  • The vessel must be imported into Thailand (7%VAT)
  • The vessel must be owned by a Thai Company with a maximum foreign shareholding of 30%
  • The vessel must be Thai registered, with commercial endorsement. (life jackets)
  • The vessel must have a Thai Captain & engineer. (Cost is around $20 for each license, no test or actual knowledge required)
  • The Company must have a TAT license. (Tourism Authority of Thailand)
  • The Vessel must have at least third party insurance.
What all of this actually means is that I have to fill in lots of paperwork and hand over the right amount of money, and I will be fully legal. For day charters I will probably get approval for at least 20 passengers, more if I pay more. My 'crew' do not need to be 'competent' as long as they have the right papers. The whole thing is totally ridiculous, I'm sure many would agree, BUT this is how it's done here in Thailand.

Regards,

Graeme.

= Ko Lanta, Thailand,
Old 02-04-2009, 02:42 AM   #9
Ensign

20 passengers? *how big is your boat?

Thai registered? *does that mean you had to pay import duty to bring the boat into the country? *i don't know what VAT is - another fee?

everything i read on the various forums says that you have to be a legal resident of a country to work. *are you a resident of Thailand? *do you pay taxes to Thailand? *how much is that?

sounds as if Thailand is a good place to top up the cruising kitty. *?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerjacko View Post
20 passengers? how big is your boat?

Thai registered? does that mean you had to pay import duty to bring the boat into the country? i don't know what VAT is - another fee?

everything i read on the various forums says that you have to be a legal resident of a country to work. are you a resident of Thailand? do you pay taxes to Thailand? how much is that?

sounds as if Thailand is a good place to top up the cruising kitty. ?
My Boat is 50' (LOA) with flush decks. (I could probably get a license for 30 people in Thailand!)

In order to be Thai registered the boat must first be imported, there is no import tax on yachts in Thailand but you must pay 7% VAT (Value Added Tax) on the value of the boat.

I am not a resident in Thailand but I do have a Company and work permit and I also pay tax.

Thailand is a great place to not spend too much of the cruising kitty!

= Ko Lanta, Thailand,
Old 02-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Thank you all for a great advice.

I've just return from "Class Afloat" - Polish sail training programm for youth in the Med. I was an officer/teacher on a tall ship "Pogoria" and I must say, I liked the idea very much. It's great to hear from redbopeep that "youth sail training" goes well and can make money.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

Tags
charter