Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Marathon
Default Caribbean Cruise Female Crew Wanted

Seasoned Yacht and Captain is seeking a female crew to take a slow, casual cruise throughout most of the Caribbean. Beginning August 2014 in The BVI cruising and documenting a 24 month cruise of the Leeward and Windward Islands.

I am a retired American Businessman and have been sailing since I was 7 years old. I spent 13 years sailing the Caribbean during the 70's and 80's and want to do it again. I am looking for an intelligent, personable, attractive woman who will be good company and really wants to learn how to sail and maintain a quality, well run cruising sailboat. The boat is a 36 Cheoy Lee Clipper, Cutter Rigged Ketch in excellent condition with lots of recent upgrades, including a new Yanmar Diesel in 2012. (See Pics)

No Drugs. Nothing to excess. Good times, good food, good wine, good memories and great sailing.

Please respond with a brief bio and pictures if you have interest.

Thanks for reading!!
Attached Thumbnails
4534368_20140218065802311_1_XLARGE.jpg   4534368_20140306123150945_1_XLARGE.jpg  

Old 07-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: bridgetown
Vessel Name: tropic bird
Default tropic bird here

hi...saw your post...may be interested in caribbean sail in august...i sail and live in barbados...on a 36 ft hunter...tell me more...thanks.
tropic bird

Old 07-18-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Stuart

Hi! I'm an attractive, fit mature woman. I am currently living in Stuart, Florida and very much want to learn how to sail. The following is not brief but feel free to skim through and read only the parts that interest you.

I have sold almost everything I own and thus have down sized considerably in the past two years. At the advent of my youngest starting college and flying the nest one year ago, so did mama also fly the nest. I decided to leave the 9-5:30 rat race for adventure in travel even if I had to do it gypsy or vagabond style, nothing was going to stop me. I started by tending bar on a Caribbean island during their slow season Sept. through November (2013). A few months later I spent some time in Granada, Nicaragua volunteering at a hostel.
Currently, I am in Stuart, Florida and my goal is to learn how to sail and have an adventure on the sea. A few facts about me:
• Born by the sea in Seaside Hospital – Crescent City, California, USA
• Raised in Grants Pass, Oregon, USA by a single father (who sailed and raced later in life)
• Mother of two – boy 21, girl 19
• Converted to Mormonism at age 10
• Converted to “heathenism” at age 31
• 2nd man and first drink of alcohol at age 31 (not at the same time -- well maybe it was, I don’t remember )
• Two full years of college
• Sang with the Utah Opera Company for 5 productions as a paid chorus member
• Formerly employed in the following positions: paralegal/legal secretary, bartender, server, exotic dancer
• scuba certified (but need to take a refresher course)
• Bungee jumped 150 feet from a hot air balloon
• Self-published a children’s book
• Enjoy repelling
• Enjoy white-water rafting and have floated several rivers including Westwater in Colorado
• Cared for a disabled elderly native on Little Corn Island, Nicaragua and grew to love him like an adopted Grandpa
• Enjoy free-lance writing and travel)

What do I have to contribute?

1. I do not have any formal sailing experience. I have sailed three times. But I have a positive “can do” attitude. I am always ready and willing to do anything that is required of me. I know the value and necessity of “pulling your own weight.” My father taught me this and how to work hard at a very early age. I very much want to learn every aspect of sailing from the technicality of running the sails, to the psychology of what it means to be part of a crew or team. I am healthy and fit and very capable of the physical duties. I promise to pull my weight and then some if at all possible. I am willing to get on my knees and scrub the deck, clean the toilets, clean fish, cook, keep watch, help fix the boat—whatever is necessary, whatever it takes (within reason) to be part of this crew.
2. I love to cook and would be happy to take on more than my fair share of the cooking as well as crewing on deck as well. I know that cooking on a sailing boat with limited cooking resources and ingredients is a lot different than cooking at home but if I am accepted, I will come prepared with some recipes that I have researched on line specifically for the conditions and ingredients that will be available to us.
3. I have a compassionate and loving soul and personality to offer to the “melting pot”. I am not an energy vampire. I am drama free! I love people and want to be the kind of person that gives to the team more than the resources I take. I am diplomatic and seek peace at all reasonable costs. I believe that gentle, loving and giving souls in their very essence are contributing members to any team.
4. I love music and singing and I will be bringing my Ukulele in which I plan on heavily practicing while aboard (as long as I don’t bother anyone). I have studied opera, theater, speech and debate, and creative writing. I am also a halfway decent pencil sketch artist. I have a lot of creativity to offer the melting pot of a crew and also to the morale and joviality of the crew during those slow no wind times.

What do I hope to Gain?

1. An inward journey of reflection, growth and spiritual progression.
2. An education of the sea, of sailing the sea, of living on the sea.
3. Personal connections with people that will last a lifetime.
4. Learning other languages, cultures and lifestyles.
5. Through my travel writing and video blogging, I hope to inspire all kinds of people, but especially people around my age (or way older) who may think it’s too late because they are too old or that they do not have enough money, to follow their dreams whether it be traveling or otherwise.

MY FAVORITE MAXIMS

• LIVE AND LET LIVE
• KNOWLEDGE PROTECTS, IGNORANCE ENDANGERS
• THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE [but which one?]
• ALL THERE IS…IS LESSONS
• JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED [unless you have determined someone is a psychopath by their apparent actions in which you have every right to judge that person in order to stay away from them!]

A FEW OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS/AUTHORS
• Dark Tower Series – Stephen King
• Fire and Ice Series – George R. R. Martin
• Mark Twain
• Siddhartha – Herman Hesse
• The Alchemist – Paulo Coelho
• The Wave Series – Laura Knight-Jadczyk
• Gurdjieff (he taught that most humans live their lives in a state of hypnotic “waking sleep” but that it is possible to transcend to a higher state of consciousness and achieve full human potential)
• Ouspensky (a mystic who traveled widely in Europe and the East looking for esoteric knowledge and later studied with Gurdjieff)

SOME OF MY FAVORITE MUSIC/MOVIES/ART

• The Blues
• Classic Rock
• Dub Step
• Grunge
• Anything Tarantino
• Seven Years in Tibet
• Salvador Dali
• Norman Rockwell

INTERESTS
• Sailing
• Volunteer work
• White water rafting
• Poker – all kinds, esp. TH
• Singing (karaoke)
• Writing -- travel blogging, children’s stories/lullabies, humanitarian stories, poetry
• Photo journalism
• Reading
• Ukulele / guitar / hand drums
Old 07-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
Ensign

Well, that's a lot to digest. But I like you already and we have some similar life experiences. I'm answering this on my cell, just to be expedient. But I am much better typing on my computer.

I am in Merritt Island today and leaving to drive to my house in Marathon, yup right past Stuart. If we were a little further along in our conversation, I would suggest meeting for dinner. Maybe next time.

I will write you again over the weekend and give you a little of my bacground, a pic and perhaps a thought or two on a possible float plan. John
Old 07-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
Ensign

Default Thanks for your message.

I realize that we have just started this communication and thus you sound uninterested in stopping for dinner. But, if you change your mind, I think it would be really awesome to take the opportunity to at least have a drink at the Marina Bar/Rest. where I reside and get to know each other a little--I mean since you are coming right through here. If you would rather not at this juncture or are in a hurry to get home, I completely understand. But if you change your mind, let me know approximately when you would be available so I can be ready and not hold you up.

We can further our communication when you get settled back at home if you wish. Thank you so much for your consideration either way!
Sincerely,
Kimberley Cox
Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
Ensign

By the way, you can text me on my phone if it is easier 385-210-9020 and I am at the Sunset Bay Marina on SW Anchorage Way if you would like to meet at the Marina Bar at a certain time. Like I said just give me about a 30 min. to 1 hr. heads up if at all possible. Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:04 AM   #7
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Rarely will I mention typos....But this one is irresistible. Do you enjoy 'repelling', or 'rapelling'?

Welcome anyway, you sound like a real adventurer. Best of luck!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:38 AM   #8
Ensign

Default One of my worst and funniest typos ever!

Indeed, I can see why you couldn't resist. That is funny and embarrassing. I'm glad you pointed that out actually so that I can change that before I send it out to any more boats.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2014, 01:36 AM   #9
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Repelling could be a handy skill in case of pirates. :-)

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:46 AM   #10
Ensign

Home Port: Auckland

Are you still looking for Crew?

I am a young and attractive woman with an appetite for adventure and experience as a solo stewardess and a chef

I grew up in New Zealand sailing as a young child and began travelling at the age of nineteen.
Since then I have been to over twenty four different countries and am wanting to explore the Caribbean next.

I worked doing a very similar job to this last summer with a Spanish Business man, we had a mutual love for adventure and good food.
It was one of the best experiences of my life and we are still good friends to this day.

I'm a very positive and happy person who is very easy going.

I really want to learn to sail and sail well as I have dream of owning my own boat one day.

If you are interested I can send photos.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:13 AM   #11
Ensign

I am very interested in hearing more about you and your travels. And yes, I would like to see your pics. Our only other crew member will be my 10 year old Yorkie, Bentley. He is very loving, beautiful and great company. Check out the attached pics and i"ll send you more information later.

You can use my email address if you like for more privacy or you can text if you like.

Where are you located now?

Thanks for writing.

John Haslett

USA Text: 321-693-2530
email: johnbhaslett@gmail.com
Attached Thumbnails
4534368_20140218065802311_1_XLARGE.jpg   20130706_165506-1.jpg  
Attached Images

Tags
caribbean, crew, crew wanted