Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Port Adelaide
Vessel Name: GYPSEAS TWO
Send a message via Yahoo to gypseastwo

Hi everyone, just thought I would give you an update, well we are starting to countdown now till our departure for Canada (15th June). We thought we were doing really well until the head gasket blew on the motor. So now we have to fit that job in. Then hubby had to pop into hospital for a little quick operation, completely unplanned. All went well, and he is nearly finished his doctor imposed "don't do any lifting, bending or carrying" three weeks. So some jobs are really banking up now. But we are still on track, providing we work twice as hard and twice as fast in the last few weeks. We have to have the boat ready to go by the end of the month. Then we are off on a lovely little holiday with P&O on one of their ships out to New Calendonia and Vanuatu. (can't wait) The perfect treat before we start our epic trip from Bundaberg, Qld, Australia all the way to Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. I have got enough food for a year packed into every conceivable space. We still have to find room for some of the spares, and we are still awaiting our new sail from Roly Taskers in Hong Kong. Hope it arrives soon. We have (finally) got all the relevant athorities organised to clear out our two babies (our siamese cats). And we have nearly finished insulating the kitchen (sorry galley) ceiling. We managed to sell all our kittens, ( our siamese Mia had 5 beautiful seal point babies). It sure has been fun side-strepping over them all while working, packing etc etc. We got our travelling money or as we say it "our cruising kitty" from them, we sold them for $375 ea. So we at least have some spending money when we reach Canada. This will give us a little time to enjoy the place before we have to start looking for work. What a bore I know, but we have to support ourselves, (I never thought I would say this but I can't wait till I reach retirement age). I will try and post again before we leave, but depending on how crazy it gets, I can't promise anything. If not I will let you know in 2-3 months when we arrive in Canada.

Cheers Lesley and Alan.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Admiral

Good for you, keeping the dream alive despite all of Murphy's attempts to derail it.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:54 AM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Good luck to you in the final prep.

Glad your kitties provided help for the cruising kitty so nicely. Reminds me of my parents: Back in the 1960s my parents lived in Colorado and wanted to move to Indiana. Their nicely pedigreed Great Dane had a huge litter and they knew they could only get about $100/puppy in Denver but could get more like $200-$250 in Indianapolis. They packed up my brother and I (pre scool age), momma dog and the 10 puppies for the move. Dad drove the pickup truck with the dogs in the camper shell and Mom drove us in a station wagon with all the other stuff they could carry. After moving expenses, they had over two thousand dollars for a down payment on their $20K house in Indiana. Worked great for them.

Enjoy your travels and do keep us all in the loop!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

I am probably not the only one who would love to hear progress reports.

BTW - my experience is that nobody is ever ready for their adventure. At some point you either leave or you don't.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to Nusailor

Aye ,Coyote

Tags
australia, canada