Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-03-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
Admiral

On June 30, the government of Israel is alleged to have committed an act of piracy when the Israeli Navy in international waters illegally boarded the "Spirit of Humanity," kidnapped its 21-person crew from 11 countries, including former US Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney and Nobel Laureate Mairead MaGuire, and confiscated the cargo of medical supplies, olive trees, reconstruction materials, and children’s toys that were on the way to the Mediterranean coast of Gaza. The "Spirit of Humanity," along with the kidnapped 21 persons is being towed to Israel.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
On June 30, the government of Israel is alleged to have committed an act of piracy when the Israeli Navy in international waters illegally boarded the "Spirit of Humanity," kidnapped its 21-person crew from 11 countries, including former US Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney and Nobel Laureate Mairead MaGuire, and confiscated the cargo of medical supplies, olive trees, reconstruction materials, and children's toys that were on the way to the Mediterranean coast of Gaza. The "Spirit of Humanity," along with the kidnapped 21 persons is being towed to Israel.
I would suspect this report is purely "political" as Isreal does intercept all vessels to search for weapons, "possible enemy combatants" [love that term] and other nasty stuff that will be used against their citizens. During the "G W Bush" reign the US Coast Guard was also accused of "Piracy" in their enforcement of the Presidents order to intercept and detain/confiscate any vessels/private yachts, etc., from any country bound for Cuba. I don't think the USCG did much but that decree was really prominent in the sailing news and magazines during the time.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
On June 30, the government of Israel is alleged to have committed an act of piracy when the Israeli Navy in international waters illegally boarded the "Spirit of Humanity," kidnapped its 21-person crew from 11 countries, including former US Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney and Nobel Laureate Mairead MaGuire, and confiscated the cargo of medical supplies, olive trees, reconstruction materials, and children’s toys that were on the way to the Mediterranean coast of Gaza. The "Spirit of Humanity," along with the kidnapped 21 persons is being towed to Israel.
Its quite believable since Israel has a habit of overstepping its bounds in this way. I'm very busy with stuff so haven't been keeping up with news--but am surprised that this didn't hit the news big-time...???

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

She willing entered an area of the sea that was under Military Blockade and now demands that the government took her into custody after refusing to allow inspection on the open sea (Which Israel prefers not to do). She states that they where in international waters but does not give a fix position on any of the information sites I researched. While I consider what the current right wing Zionist government in Israel to be and has been doing with the Palestinians to have a very small difference than how the Nazi's treated them. The Capitan of the Vessel knew that the waters where under blockade and decided to run it any ways. Considering the US governments own actions over many different Presidents in similar conditions I can see why there is no open response. They probably just want to get her back in the US and some how remove her passport form her on a long term basis.

Again I state I do NOT support what Israel is doing, nor do I support how Palestinians are abused by Jordan, Syria, Egypt, Saudia Arabia (you want the dirty work done you hire the scab's, for the last thirty years that has meant Palestinians).

By proper definition what was done is not an act of Piracy, but a blockade runner that got caught and is using political means to scream foul play. The fact it never hit mainstream news means that a good portion of those who decide what is of importance to the masses don't think this is. I don't agree but hey.

Michael
Old 07-25-2009, 01:57 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

A ship entered a war zone (and remember this is a war zone because in 1948 on the formation of the state of Israel, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, and many other countries including Morocco and Sudan declared war on Israel, a state of war that many of these countries have never allowed to lapse), destined for a port that was under blockade due to qas'am rockets being shipped in by various countries into the port of Gaza and then fired into Israeli territory, and got impounded.

No big surprise. Not particularly newsworthy.

I agree that the Palestinians are the victims here -- often victims as much of nations like Syria and Iran, who send training units into Gaza to covertly use foreign nationals to pursue their own war as victims of Israeli aggression, but if you continually teach your children, in schools and in places of worship, to hate, fear and loathe their neighbours, then hate fear and loathing is what you will get, generation after generation.

Tags
med, mediterranean