Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Ensign

This is a message concerning the protection of an endangered species. Slipper Lobsters, known as ‘Cigalle de mer’ to French, is an endangered species throughout the Mediterranean, whose hunt and consumption is strictly regulated. In Turkey too, their hunt is restricted to the Kas area (which is in Antalya) during the period between 15 April-15 June. To hunt these creatures, one has to have a special permission, and he/she should have a facture-a piece of paper proving that this particular animal sold in restaurants was captured during that time. Unfortunately, these regulations are not followed and there are many restaurants around Marmaris and Datça who are selling these lobsters. The authorities are possibly bribed, or ignorant. They do not care about the existing rules. The only hope that these animals have are people who refuse to eat unregistered ones. Please do ASK about their origin, whether the people who sell and make a fortune out of them at least have the permission to do that. As people cruising the seas, we all must be concerned about the health of the waters. Lobsters are part of the health of our planet. If we don’t consume them, restaurants will have no other choice but stopping their unlawful hunt. Remember, Slipper Lobsters are endangered species and THEY WILL GONE EXTINCT if do NOT CARE. As real sailors, I know you will hear my call. Thank you and bon vent!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

I find protected species for the larger member of the family but not endangered. I also find that you have posted this on numerous sites? May I ask the reasons why? Just asking and wishing additional information before making any opinion.

Michael

Old 08-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Commander

I think heatmiser is acting out of good will, but she is spamming nevertheless. Unless she is an agent of a business entity which makes money out of those lobsters.

If I would be the local civil organisation feeling responsible for those lobsters, I would do the following:

1, Ask restaurants to cease to offer uncertified lobsters, or else. And make media noise about it.

2. If they do not, report them to authorities, and make media noise about it

3. If authorities do not respond, report them, and make a media noise about it.

Yes, reporting even criminals to authorities is frequently frowned upon (especially from the part of criminals), but when appropriate warning have been issued, I regard it as a legitimate step which one should take. And yes, our authorities are as (or even more) corrupt like turkish ones, but making enough noise and using all the possible legal ways to have them behave usually helps.

I would not eat members of endangered or protected species even if it shows me the certificate.

Tags
turkey