Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
Ensign

Default South Africa to Europe: Do people do it?

Hello all,

Putting another question to the kind and helpful cruiserlog community. My boyfriend and I are sailing as volunteer to South Africa, and will arrive in November 2012. We are then interested in crewing to Europe. We imagine the route would go up the west coast of Africa.

Is this a trip that anyone does? I haven't seen anyone discussing it online. If it is possible to find a captain who will take us this route, what time of year would they probably go? We would like to leave South Africa relatively quickly, and so would like to find a boat that heads to Europe in Dec-Jan, if possible.

Thanks for your help!

Wynne

whedlesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Ensign

Wynne,

Most boats leaving Cape Town in their summer will not be sailing up the west coast of Africa due to the winds but will go via St. Helana / Ascension to the Caribbean and only then on to Europe.
It is however possible to do this trip up the west coast of Africa, St. Helana / Ascension to Cape Verde and Canaries to Gibraltar but I believe not before April as of the Cape Verdes.
I suggest you put up an advert of your plans at the RCYC's black board.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cape Town

Wynne,

There are a number of boats on delivery that leave Cape Town during February and March for the Med. The route is from Cape Town to St Helena then past Ascension towards the Cape Verde Islands. If the winds are right, a stop in Mindelo (Sao Vincent) is possible but quite often the winds push the boats about 100 miles to the west of the islands. The boats then head towards the Azores, with some stopping there but most turning east well south of the Azores and heading for Gibraltar and then into the Med.

It is a tough trip north of the equator with a lot of slamming into oncoming seas.

Your best bet is to contact some of the delivery companies towards the end of the year and put your names down on their crew lists. PM me and I will give you email address to send your details to.

John
Old 04-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
N&M @ UnWind

Home Port: Cape Town/Barendrecht
Vessel Name: SY UnWind

Hi Wynne,

The best way is indeed to crew on a boat to the Caribbean via st. Helena and try to get another one back to Europe. We will leave Cape Town on the 22nd of December with the Governors Cup to st. Helena, but I have crew already till st. Helena. We will carry on to Brazil and later to the Caribbean or down to Chilli, but not sure yet. It would suggest to post your message at the Royal Cape Yacht Club in Cape Town as mentioned earlier.

rgds Niels
Old 05-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Ensign

Thanks to everyone for your helpful advice! It sounds like, one way or another, things should work out for us, timing wise. And thanks for the tip about the RCYC.

Wynne
whedlesky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
africa, crew available, europe, south africa, south africa to europe