Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

"The extent of the tsunami's ferocity is not yet known, but it has already reached the southern Juan Fernandez Islands, about 400 miles off the coast of Chile, where it was reported to have caused "serious damage".

The islands include one named after Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe's protagonist, and another named after Alexander Selkirk, the Scottish sailor whose real life experiences as a castaway are said to have inspired the 1719 novel.

An alert was issued by the US Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre which predicted damage to the Hawaiian coast from 9pm GMT today.

"Urgent action should be taken to protect lives and property," the centre said in a bulletin. "All shores are at risk no matter which direction they face."

The centre had earlier issued a tsunami warning for Chile and Peru, and a tsunami watch for Ecuador, Colombia, Antarctica, all of Central America and French Polynesia.

New Zealand also issued a tsunami alert, warning of a wall of water up to 10 feet high, with landfall due there at just after 6pm GMT.

The New Zealand National Crisis Management Centre warning said the greatest wave heights were expected between six and 12 hours after the initial arrivals. .......More"

More Details - HERE

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Computer model of the Tsunami's expected effect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tsunami.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1262

Old 02-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

The map above shows energy densities, btw. The map attached to this post show arrival times:

Click image for larger version

Name:	arrive.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1263

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Retired Mod

This gives a pretty good idea of the upsurge in a marina on the US west coast (high def).

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Imfd2tTpxv4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparant"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Imfd2tTpxv4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparant" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Old 02-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

Its good to hear that the Tsunami was such a fizzer but I fear that there is a lot more bad news to come out of Chile.

Moving a little off topic ...

"The extent of the tsunami's ferocity is not yet known, but it has already reached the southern Juan Fernandez Islands, about 400 miles off the coast of Chile, where it was reported to have caused "serious damage".

The islands include one named after Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe's protagonist, and another named after Alexander Selkirk, the Scottish sailor whose real life experiences as a castaway are said to have inspired the 1719 novel."

The islands' real names are Isla Mas a Tierra and Isla Mas Afuera. They were renamed by President Frei (sp) in about 1960 to boost tourism. The real 'Robinson Crusoe' was an escaped english political prisoner on an island near the mouth of the Orinoco. A bonzer read on the subject is Tim Severin's 'In Search of Robinson Crusoe'.

Back on track I think the loss of life and damage ashore in Chile will, unfortunately, not be far short of the 1960 quake. I hope I am wrong.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
Boomerang!

Home Port: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boomerang!

Anyone see any news on other possible damage througout the South Pacific? Have not seen anything....

Concerned about some of the wonderful cruising grounds west and south of the epicenter....

C

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
Commander

Pretty much a non event in Oz and NZ and I think elsewhere in the S Pacific ... seems the main force went NNW. Lots of damage along the Chilean central coast by all accounts.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:15 AM   #8
Commander

A bit more... it seems that the 500+ deaths ( ie about 2/3rds of the total so far ) in Chilean coastal towns may have been caused by the tsunami.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #9

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Here in San Diego, lots of current through the narrows and some damage to docks here and channel markers here and in Oceanside. Our little anchorage had boats going every which-way but lucky for us we were anchored in a far, far corner that had little current. We saw 3 ft range (1.5 ft wave height) of depth meter over a 10-15 minute period several times over about a 2 hour time frame. All the water would suck away from the shore and then up, up, up. Both boring (thank goodness) and exciting (because you weren't really sure what would happen next.)

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:25 AM   #10
Commander

I heard this morning from a friend who lives in Santiago. Seems he was camped on the coast somewhere and had the sea come to within 5 metres of his tent.... bringing a boat with it... he sounded a little shaken....
Old 03-03-2010, 06:21 AM   #11
Commander

I found it ridiculous that news here had no mention of the tsunami whatsoever. When I heard the news about the earthquake, I even concluded "and no tsunami, luck in an unlucky event".

Tags
chile, pacific