Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Ensign

Thumbs down

G'day mates,

To those members who know the East Cost of Australia. In your opinion, would this mono be suitable for live aboard in the waters between the Hawkesbury River, NSW and the Top End of QLD?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-Davide...241410006r35721

I have been reserching Tri's when I found this Mono and like the look of her, she sounds like a strong vessel built of steel in Canada and now in Malaysia.

I had become one-eyed on Tri's but perhaps this Mono, or one similar, would be suitable for one or two full time residents and a Mono would cost less to upkeep, slip and paint...And as I don't have real deep pockets, that would be in my favour.

I have "no" experience with sailboats but would travel to Malaysia, hire a crew of three to bring her to Australia and learn a bit about sailing during the three weeks trip home...well that would be the plan...if I won the auction.

Thanking you in advance for your views.

Bill AU

Old 05-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
Admiral

Hi,

With only 18 hrs left for the auction, almost impossible to get a survey done of the Hull in particular in the time left. "Body: metall, repair in last year."

If the boat is not sold in the Auction, one could contact the seller and make an offer subject to survey. However, Russians, Rust, Reflagging - maybe best to continue the search elsewhere.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:20 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

This is a nice boat, and should be fine for coastal cruising. There's no way that the reserve is as low as $USD4200 though, so you'll probably have to go to the vendor after auction.

My only concern is that it appears to be aft cockpit, with the master berth forward. If you're cruising up and down the east coast you'll have a lot of wind shifts and the such like, so you can probably expect to be going upwind for a fiair amount of the time you're cruising around. On the wind an aft cabin is much more comfortable than a forward cabin. The forward cabin is fine for downwind sailing where the boat tends to roll more than pitch, but upwind the forward cabin bounces too much as the boat pitches, you'll feel like you're sleeping in a washing machine.

Then again, if you're the type of sailor who sits at anchorage for weeks waiting for the right wind shift, then this may not be an issue.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
Admiral

Hello Bill,

The location "Coat - Malaysia" given for this boat, is not listed anywhere.

Maybe a misspelling of Coast ?

There is a village called Koat (Kampong Koat) on the east coast of the Malaysian Peninsula a few miles inland from the sea at :

2° 58' 58.80" North x 103° 22' 1.20" East
Old 05-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Ensign

G'day mates,

Thanks for your views, I too would like a cabin aft but even in the Tri's I've looked at, aft cabins are few and far between.

According to the owner, the yacht is now berthed in “Langkawi Royal Yacht Club”, and can stay there for $180US PM, or it can be moved to a near-by harbor and moored for $80US PM. I doubt very much if rates like those can be found in Australia.

As to repairs carried-out, this was posted on the sales page today:

Quote:

We covered double-steel hull with 1cm zinc inside additional active zinc protection in New Zealand, did revision electric wiring, changed electromotor of automatic helmsman, welding and changed steel where need, changed ship's eyes (fairleads) and bollard, covered down from waterline by antifouling 6 layers of mastic resin, painted of hull, changed batteries, built-up welding of steering wheel and bought new sail.

End Quote:

So there you have it mates, that's all I know about this vessel, anyway, I can't see the owner selling for the price as it stands now, US $4,551.00, with only 1 hour 20 mins to go to the close of auction. Even “I” am not crazy enough to expect to buy such a vessel for such a low price, so I guess the yacht will be passed-in (the seller has a reserve price on it) and perhaps be re-listed at a later date.

Thanks again to your views and good sailing winds to you all.

Bill AU
Old 05-31-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

Hmmmm

Ebay member from the Russian Federation..... Oh Ok....

I'd walk backwards...very slowly.. away from this one..............
Old 06-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
This is a nice boat, and should be fine for coastal cruising. There's no way that the reserve is as low as $USD4200 though, so you'll probably have to go to the vendor after auction.

My only concern is that it appears to be aft cockpit, with the master berth forward. If you're cruising up and down the east coast you'll have a lot of wind shifts and the such like, so you can probably expect to be going upwind for a fiair amount of the time you're cruising around. On the wind an aft cabin is much more comfortable than a forward cabin. The forward cabin is fine for downwind sailing where the boat tends to roll more than pitch, but upwind the forward cabin bounces too much as the boat pitches, you'll feel like you're sleeping in a washing machine.

Then again, if you're the type of sailor who sits at anchorage for weeks waiting for the right wind shift, then this may not be an issue.
G'day mates,

Thanks for your views, they are most welcome and I guess the views of Multi sailors will always differ from Mono sailors but that's okay...It would be a boring world if we all followed the same course.

As for the steel Mono in Malayasia that started this post, forget it! Thanks to Richard who has another mate who is berthed in the same harbor and had inspected the vessel...over a year ago, yes, she's been on the market for a year or so, she would need to be gutted and re-built and then some!

Aparently she was in such bad nick, Richards mate would not even list her for sale on "his" books! So I told the seller I was not interested.

Just goes to prove...A picture "can" tell a thousand lies and...Thanks to forums like the Cruisers Forum and the Crusiers Log, with helpful members based all around the world, I've been put wise to this vessel. It's thanks to a member that I'm not out of pocket in any way! I was put wise to the steel Mono "not" being all it was cracked-up to be!

I don't know if I'll end-up with a Tri, a Mono, or even a small Cat but...You can safely bet your last dollar... I "won't" be buying "anything" based on nice pictures.

Cheers mates, calm waters and good winds to you all and thanks again Richard.

Bill AU

Tags
australia, east coast