Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > The Med, Atlantic & Caribbean > Regional Discussions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
Ensign

Thumbs up

Hi,

In these dire times at work i am going to take a two month sabbatical that is owed me in June July 09- want to spend it sailing around the Carib from BVI to Grenada - pick up BVI one way. Can anyone recommend a decent charter company ? most I have researched quoted almost as much as buying a boat !! which i will do when i cut my desk chains !!

Thanks

Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Admiral

June and July are the hurricane season, and though it's the early months, I can believe that a charter company would not want its boats too far away from its home base should tropical storm or hurricane hit. *Charter boats don't have the communications gear to warn its occupants of approaching threatening weather, and charterers aren't usually particularly knowledgeable about tropical storm conditions or evasive tactics. *Lots of horror stories of charter boats lost because of inadequate securing of the boat.

BVIs to Grenada, that's most of the island chain and pretty ambitious. *Are quotes for charters returning to the same place any cheaper?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Ensign

many thanks - yes cheaper returning to same place
Old 01-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
Commander

Chartering a bare-boat and taking it through multiple countries would be very ambitious. Most charter companies want you to stay in the same island country that they are located with some exceptions as in the US & B.V.I.'s and maybe St Martin/St Barths. At most they allow only travel to an adjacent island country such as SVG / Grenada. But traversing a dozen countries from B.V.I.'s to Grenada would be challenging as you are not the owner of the vessel and you are operating in a "commercial" charter regime. That's got to be complicated at best. Generally when a charter boat gets a half dozen countries away from home base, the officials start thinking maybe the boat is stolen.

So wouldn't it make more sense to do multiple charter rentals, one after the other, as you work your way down the islands. It is easy to hop from island to island on SVG Airlines or other small island airlines. Then you don't have to worry about returning the boat back up island again. With only two months allotted weather windows could suck up all your time and you would be "trapped" somewhere and not be able to get the boat back on time.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissailing View Post
So wouldn't it make more sense to do multiple charter rentals, one after the other, as you work your way down the islands. .......
Good idea - many thanks
Old 02-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Ensign

Tern,

I'm trying to buy a 46' cat in the Leewards right now. I won't know if I'll be sucessfull for a couple of months. Unfortunately your heading the wrong way for the boat as I want to bring it to the Bahama's. If you where to consider changing your directing and I'm sucessful with the purchase maybe that would work out.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
Tern,

I'm trying to buy a 46' cat in the Leewards right now. I won't know if I'll be sucessfull for a couple of months. Unfortunately your heading the wrong way for the boat as I want to bring it to the Bahama's. If you where to consider changing your directing and I'm sucessful with the purchase maybe that would work out.
An idea ........many thanks pl keep me posted

Tags
charter