Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-15-2006, 11:04 PM   #1
Rear Admiral

Default Adding Another Bilge Pump

Our boat came fitted with a manual Whale Gusher bilge pump.

I wish to add an additional, high volume, elecric bilge pump.

Both use 1 1/2 inch hose.

In the interest of simplicity...

Would there be a problem if I were to simply remove the strainer on the pick-up hose of the manual pump and install the electric pump in it's place?

I realize the waterflow will be restricted somewhat as it passes thru the manual pump, but it sure would simplify the addition of another pump and eliminate the need to saw another hole through the hull... plus everything in between.

I've never seen or heard of this being done and I'm curious if anyone has tried this and if it worked out okay.

Happy Easter,

Kirk & Family

Old 04-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #2
Admiral

Although I'm not the right person to answer this, I suggest that you find another way to pipe out the water. I don't see why you would want to use the same pickup - you might want to use both pumps at the same time and it would seem to me that you would be restricting capacity.

Why another hole through the hull? couldn't you plumb it to engine exhaust outlet?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:39 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I am not sure I would feel so comfortable digging a hole in the exhaust as I think non-return valves are made for fluids rather than a gas/fluid mix, but with a standard non-return valve in the line, I think plumbing it into one of the cockpit drains could work purty durn well.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
Lieutenant

I agree with JeanneP BIG TIME. I think your idea would severely limit the volume you could pump should you need to use BOTH pumps at once.

General rule is to exit the bilge pump outlet as high on the hull as possible, within reason of course. My boat has an outboard in a well and I have the bilge pump outlet in there. Also, most authorities frown on using a one way valve in the output line since it also restricts the volume.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

Hi,

Go with the advice already given and set up two outputs.

If both were in line you may not have an issue with the letric pump pushing water through the namual one, but youd certainly have more trouble getting the manual one to suck water through the eletric one.

And you don't need the output below the waterline - a skin fitting on the transom will do fine provided you ensure you've a swans neck bent into the output pipe.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 04-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #6
Commander

Ditto the others' advice; definitely two independent discharge hoses.

Also, think about the order of precedence you want to take place and locate your bilge pump sensor switch accordingly. We have 3 bilge pumps but, if I was throttling it down to 2, I would:

Locate the electric pump's sensor quite low, put a buzzer alarm in series with the switch on the DC panel, and you'll be 'told' by the pump if water's coming in. That would be your alert to take a look and, if need be, supplement the electric with the manual pump while sourcing the problem.

Alternatively, if you want the electric as a back-up only and prefer using the manual normally, locating the sensor for the electric a bit higher (again, with a buzzer), will give you a chance for 'maintenance' pumps by hand but, if you suddenly start taking on larger quantities, the buzzer will sound and pump kick in.

Your choice...

Jack
Old 04-23-2006, 01:36 AM   #7
Rear Admiral

Done! Easy!

I used 30 ft of high quality hose and routed it through the stbd quarter which now gives us three electric and two manual bilge pumps.

I also installed a "school bell" high water alarm while I was at it.

And... I'll admit... if I'd used one of my longer bits to drill the pilot hole through the hull from inside the boat - I would surely have sunk our inflatable!

Thanx for the input Jeanne, Jack, John, Charlie & David.

Have a great weekend.

Kirk

Tags
bilge