Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
Ensign

The subject of insurance requirements while cruising seems to be quite daunting. Some of the problems are: Each country seems to want the policy translated into their local language and for your insurer to have a reciprocal agreement with a local company. Specifically, I need third party liability insurance to cover losses caused by sinking, collision or pollution. Of course the policy must be translated into Greek. The Italians have an even more demanding requirement with an Italian translation.

My questions to those who have been there is this: What are the real requirements? How did you solve the problem?

Thanks,

GreyBeard

Old 01-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyBeard View Post
What are the real requirements?
I cannot say what the REAL situation on the ground is, how the "rules" are enforced or how cruisers handle the situation as I have not sailed to Greece myself. However, the following is an extract of the rules (from the GREECE SECTION of the Cruising Wiki):

The original insurance certificate and a Greek translation showing Third Party insurance with the amounts in figures. These minimum amounts are:

* 293,470 EURO liability for death or injury by sinking, collision or other cause for crew and third parties,

* 146,753 EURO for damage,

* 88,041 EURO for pollution.

My suggestion is to stay "on the right side" in a foreign country and comply by their requirements.

(See GREECE on the Cruising Wiki for the FULL requirements for cruising in Greek waters)

Good luck.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Sailed in Greece since May 2008

Greek translation of insurance had to be produced to get paperwork on entry, once in a harbour and finally when booking into Aghios Nikolaos Marina, Crete, with the port police.

As a non EU boat (NZ registered) I asked about Cruising Tax at every port where there was port police or customs, and everywhere claimed no knowledge of it. Port Police at Aghios Nikolaos, where I did not ask when I arrived, demanded payment when I booked in 16m boat about 270 euro every 3 months.

John

ps marina has nice staff but open sluices in NE wall which let in swell from between north and east , sometimes bad eg one lady could not get back onto her yacht for several hours, a Beneteau 57 pulled a cleat out, we all use coil springs in the lines to the pontoon or dock to reduce shock loads, but a Bruce Roberts 53 with perfect lines broke three of them
Old 01-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

My boat is based in Greece and has a Greek flag so I am not 100% sure of the insurance requirements. However, last summer, and many other years, I have sailed together with another boat belonging to friends from Turkey. Their boat has a US flag (non EU). They carry insurance from a Turkish company. They carry an English translation of their policy. They have never had any problems with this.

Most Coast Guard officials can read English even if they are not comfortable speaking. After you enter Greece and are issued a transit log it will be very rare to be asked to produce your insurance papers again.

In all my travels in the Med (Italy, Malta, Spain, Tunisia, and Turkey), I have carried an English translation of my Greek policy. Never had any problems.

Good luck

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfan View Post
Sailed in Greece since May 2008

Greek translation of insurance had to be produced to get paperwork on entry, once in a harbour and finally when booking into Aghios Nikolaos Marina, Crete, with the port police.

As a non EU boat (NZ registered) I asked about Cruising Tax at every port where there was port police or customs, and everywhere claimed no knowledge of it. Port Police at Aghios Nikolaos, where I did not ask when I arrived, demanded payment when I booked in 16m boat about 270 euro every 3 months.

John

ps marina has nice staff but open sluices in NE wall which let in swell from between north and east , sometimes bad eg one lady could not get back onto her yacht for several hours, a Beneteau 57 pulled a cleat out, we all use coil springs in the lines to the pontoon or dock to reduce shock loads, but a Bruce Roberts 53 with perfect lines broke three of them
That is very interesting. Thank you. Since you are there and know the specifics, let me ask some more questions.

Were you moored stern-to in the usual Med way?

Are there floating docks available so you can use spring lines to minimize the affects of wave action?

We had planned on go to Greece in October. Is that a good time of year?

We will be in Greek waters for about a week. Where would you advise us to go?

Thanks,

GreyBeard
Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
Commander

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Gone Troppo

Hi,

I cleared in to Greece at Simi last year and had to show my insurance policy(English) to the Harbour Master, Customs and Immigration did not ask for it. This was the same in 2000, 2001 and 2002 at various ports. My yacht is Australian registered. There was no mention of the cruising tax at Simi last year. The rules are applied differently at some ports, I go along with what ever they say, after all it is their country and I am only an uninvited guest. I have never had a problem with the Greek authorities. Enjoy your visit, October is nice.

Regards,

Stephen

PS. Hope you have had a good winter John, hope to see you two later in the year.

Stephen

Crowther Windspeed 36

www.gonetroppo.org
GoneTroppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Quote:
Are there floating docks available so you can use spring lines to minimize the affects of wave action?

You will find floating docks only on very few marinas in Greece. Most ports have only concrete quays.

We had planned on go to Greece in October. Is that a good time of year?

Yes, October is a very good time except that by late October there are occasional thunderstorms and, unlike during the summer months, the wind can come from either the N or the S.

We will be in Greek waters for about a week. Where would you advise us to go?

That is a hard question. It depends on your interests and your route.
If I can help please contact me.

Happy sails

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istioploos View Post
If I can help please contact me.

Happy sails
Thanks, We are coming from the Adriatic and will return there. I expect to go through customs at Lefkada and continue on to Santorini by whatever route makes most sense. I prefer fishing villages and small islands where the people are friendly but are big enough that we can buy supplies and take on water. I recognize that Santorini probably does not qualify, but it is on the must-be-visited list.

Thanks

Greybeard
Old 01-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Thanks, We are coming from the Adriatic and will return there. I expect to go through customs at Lefkada and continue on to Santorini by whatever route makes most sense. I prefer fishing villages and small islands where the people are friendly but are big enough that we can buy supplies and take on water. I recognize that Santorini probably does not qualify, but it is on the must-be-visited list.

Thanks

Greybeard
Hope this helps but the percieved wisdom is NOT to visit Santorini on your own yacht.

The only marina in Santorini is miles from the action, plus silted up, plus packed with local shallow draft fishing vessels.

Even if you ignore the marina and aim to moor below the main town where some huge yachts do pick up mooring buoys, you'll find it so exposed you'll spend half your day craning your neck to see if she is still safe and you've not lost the long length of line needed to hold her in place. And if anything did go wrong and no one was on board, it would take an hour to get back to her..........

Even the cruise liners tend to hover under power and hold station whilst their passengers trip ashore.

IMHO it's best to park up on an adjacent island (Ios is good and sheltered on it's town quay) and catch a ferry for the day. Costs are minimal - fast ferry sub 60 minutes.

Some pictures on our blog at http://www.yotblog.com/swagman/2361/

Enjoy

JOHN

Tags
greece