Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
Ensign

Yep - it's another question from the dirt-dweller! Who is this guy polluting your nice forums with this junk?

I was just curious, for the fulltime cruising liveaboards how much time do you guys spend in a marina, or mooring field compared to in an anchorage? I imagine it all depends on your cruising budget. I envision a life of many anchorages (at least in the warmer waters), but I don't know if that's reality or not.

You all have been so generous with responding to my other questions, so really it's your own fault I keep asking more!

Good sailing to you and yours!!

No boat, just a dream

Tracking the dream
cbtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtucker View Post

Yep - it's another question from the dirt-dweller! Who is this guy polluting your nice forums with this junk?

I was just curious, for the fulltime cruising liveaboards how much time do you guys spend in a marina, or mooring field
Real cruisers spend as little time as possible tied up to a berth or a mooring

Old 07-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Admiral

I think that the size of the cruiser's pocketbook in many ways determines this. During our approximately five years in the Caribbean, we rarely spent time in a marina - we went a year or more between marina visits. However, in the late 80s and early 90s there weren't very many marinas in the Caribbean, so all cruising boats were possibly better equipped to be self-sufficient.

When we arrived in New Caledonia it was the first marina we had stayed in after a year on the Pacific side of Central and South America and two years cruising the South Pacific.

Sitting out cyclone season in Australia and then cruising up the coast we stayed in marinas a good portion of the time, but then we went marina-free for another couple years as we made a second loop around the western portion of Oceania.

I would say that, in general, at least 90% of the time we were at anchor, but every two years or so we would spend some time in the marina to do some of the heavier work on the boat - washing the sails, full cleaning of the boat inside and out where we could off-load a lot of the stuff we had acquired. Usually a fair portion of the stuff we offloaded for the cleaning didn't make it back on the boat. Our boat systems were pretty simple, so we didn't have to worry about generator repairs, refrigeration problems, or watermaker maintenance and repair. And we were young(ish) and healthy and frugal (cheap) so not being in a marina was not a hardship.

I think that things have changed, cruisers' boats have changed, and many those going cruising nowadays have a different approach to cruising and comfort than in earlier, simpler, times. But it's still easy enough to anchor out most, if not all, your time cruising.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #4
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

I like to keep the boat in marina when I am not in her. Otherwise I prefer lovely anchorages. Sometime I use the moorings, for an overnight, provided by local restaurants in small coves. I normally go to a marina for supplies and leave it as soon as possible.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

Marinas are a pain. Need insurance for a start. Then you need skill to get your yacht into her place without looking like a dork especially if its windy. Money. Certificate for your electrical installation. Simply anchoring in a good spot is so much easier, quieter usually, easier to leave, no charges. Much more wildlife. Better scenery. Less likelihood of damaging your own yacht. I have mine in a marina but only because where I live no other options are available. Handy to use a marina if you need fuel or water or electricity or a long hot shower. I have not seen any sailer who does not stress at least a bit going into a marina, for example mine will turn hard to port and when I hit it in reverse the stern kicks to starboard quite a bit both turning the yacht in the right direction and stopping her. If the berth is on the wrong side (stbd) I've little hope of going in elegantly. If the wind is coming from the stbd side and the berth is also stbd I get seasick!! I'm usually short handed and mine is a long keeled monster. Its all good fun though CB, after you've done a few million dollars worth of damage, your hairs gone white and you've had several heart attacks and maybe moved the dock a couple of feet simply anchoring looks good.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Captain, Sailboat Reboot

Home Port: None
Vessel Name: Reboot
Send a message via AIM to svReboot

After a while I think most cruisers end up at anchor. With an overnight for my boat starting at $100 I have to have a real reason to tie up to a dock. My point of pain for a mooring is about $10 per night, a bit more if the anchorage has bad currents or a history of boats dragging. If I leave the boat I prefer a mooring over an anchor as there is less chance of dragging. If necessary I will put Reboot at a dock. Since I have a cat that needs to be cared for when I leave my decision can be impacted by opportunities for his care.
Web Site: https://www.sailboatreboot.com
Blog:https://blog.sailboatreboot.com
svReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Home Port: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sooke
Send a message via MSN to BJSmith

Vancouver, California, New Zealand, and Australia were locations I stayed on docks for extended periods.

All South Pacific Islands and in Micronesia I preferred to anchor out due to rat problems....four legged and two legged.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Ensign

In the last year of cruising 5 nights at a dock. Perfect I think.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Two days at the dock preparing to go cruising, and then none unless it was for fuel or water (Now the watermaker is hooked up!). I don't even like crowded anchorages... One little fuel or oil leak on someones boat can ruin the membrane in the watermaker (read- Expensive). We cruise on a budget, and couldn't afford a marina often, but more importantly; The cool places don't always have marinas!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #10
Ensign

Anchoring in strong winds can be stressful so often it is nice to be tied to something that cannot drag. I found a lot of really good information in AROUND-THE-WORLD SAILING GUIDE from Amazon.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #11
Ensign

For me it depends on the weather as well. Safety for me is first in where I stay.

Tags
anchor