Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-07-2007, 06:17 AM   #1
Ensign

Question about fishing in international water. I know in the us you need a fishing license in whatever state you happen to be in or off the coast of. And I have heard that certain countries would require yo uto purchase fishing licenses to fish in their waters. What is required to fish when in the middle of whatever ocean or is there a site that has fishing information for different countries? Thanks

Dave & Jenn

Old 06-07-2007, 07:04 AM   #2
Admiral

Re fishing in international waters.

Provided your flag state (the country in which your boat is registered) does not have any special requirements, there are no rules or regulations regarding fishing in international waters unless you are doing this on a commercial basis where there are regulations which apply to countries which are signatory to international agreements such as NAFO, NEAFC, IOTC, CCAMLR etc. In other words, in international waters you are free to fish as much as you like from your yacht.

Next point though is identifying what are international waters? Answer, all waters outside territorial waters and EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone). An economic zone can upprättas up till 200 NM from a state's base line. Bottom line, if you are more than 200 NM from the nearest land then you are in international waters. Remember though that even small islands can have huge EEZ's. There are also special rules for archepelagic states. The regulations regarding territorial water, EEZ etc. can be found in LOS (the Law of the Sea Convention).

Has this helped or are you even more confused now?

Aye

Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
Admiral

Nausikaa's right about international waters from a legal standpoint.

A bit more information. From personal experience, salt water fishing does not require a license from these states: Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, and Florida. Florida does have some special restrictions though I can't remember what they are, but the rules are available in just about every marina or shipchandler. I think this is true for most coastal states, at least on the East coast, but I don't really know for sure.

Even in countries where somebody "owns" the sea bottom out as far as a person can free dive to reach it, the locals have usually not made an issue of foreign yachts fishing in their waters. Except, I understand, in Mexico and the Bahamas, where visiting yachts have to buy a fishing license or permit.

This information is not comprehensive. There are some countries that will require you to surrender your spear gun while in their waters - Bonaire, I believe, is one of those countries. More countries are prohibiting spearfishing, and considering past offenses and demonstrations of wasteful greed, I have to agree with those countries.

Some of the best information on these restrictions, outside of the countries themselves, is found on Noonsite: www.noonsite.com

and look under "Formalities" "Restrictions"

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:59 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiAussie View Post
Has anyone ever heard of a yachtie being charged for using a fishing rod outside the 12nm??? I think you'd be pretty safe even if you're trolling along (while sailing) with a few lines. If you're ever approached by a govt vessel (at a distance) & unsure about their non-commercial EEZ rules then just bring in ya lines & stow 'em outta sight.

What happens if a "flying fish" hits your decks??? Technically were you even fishing???
In answer to your questions, No, I have never heard of a yachtie being charged for this. On the other hand, forget the government vessel, look to the skies instead as a huge number of fisheries infringements are detected from aircraft.

Regarding the flying fish, no, obviously you were not fishing as:

a. you had deployed no fishing gear

b. there was no intention to fish

Aye

Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:08 AM   #5
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

There is lots of discussion on fishing, which is good and I plan to do as well... not to mentnion crabbing and shrimping... but what about water foul... from what I've heard seagull makes a good, if salty meal... but then I LOVE salt, and have low blood pressure, so I don't see that being a problem for me... what about other types of water fowl... cranes, storkes, etc... does anyone take advantage of these ready sources of protein??

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:47 AM   #6
Admiral

I had a friend who was an avid hunter, and he used to bring me sea ducks in season. They were quite strong-tasting and tough - these are birds who FLY! (At the time I was willing to eat just about anything that was free, however, to stretch my meager funds) Their diet affects the taste of the flesh. I'm not particuly keen on fish-tasting red meat, so I haven't been interested in eating any sea birds.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

I think sea bird might taste ok if it is jerked... brine it in salt water and then dry it... just like wild game you have to soak out the gamy taste... it would still be a little fishy no doubt but protein all the same. It's amazing what one can develop a taste for.

Also out of curiosity. When you are trolling a hand-line what test line have you found sufficient for tuna and other largish fish?

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Q-iOz, I find that replacing the monofilament with braided cord reduces the slingshot effect and provides a little more safety on deck, especially when the cord becomes a little 'experienced'.

Cheese

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Hi Q-iOz, I find that replacing the monofilament with braided cord reduces the slingshot effect and provides a little more safety on deck, especially when the cord becomes a little 'experienced'.
Also try threading 5 meters of parachute cord through 2 meters of surgical tubing. It is a lot safer than the usual bungee cord, and has the 100 Kg breaking strength. When it stretches out you know you hit something.

I usually just let it play itself until I can just haul in (not fond or playing with my food) but have lost the better half to sharks on more than one occasion (better half of the fish...)

dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishing