Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

I'm interested in getting information, and hearing opinions about the boating scene in Brisbane, Australia. I would be interested in hearing about the best places to keep, service, and sail a boat from, if anyone can help me with this.

It looks like I'll be in Oz for a while and I'm looking forward to getting in touch with, and involved with the local yachties.

Cheers

dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

I'm certainly no expert, but...

In my opinion, the nicest place to be on a yacht in Brisbane is at the pilings at the Botanical Gardens right in the heart of the city.

There's also a fishing / yacht club just downstream opposite Breakfast Creek.

Jump on a River Cat and have a look for other options.

Most of the real sailing scene takes place in Moreton Bay and the marinas which dot the shores. The largest facilities are found around Southport at Surfer's Paradise and Mooloolaba up the coast.

Without question - the Whitsunday Islands are the most popular cruising destination on the east coast of Australia. Airlie Beach is the gateway city but it's about a twelve pack north of Brizzy by car.

See if you can hook-up with "The Coastal Passage" on the web or marina news stands when you arrive in the Land of Oz. It's an informative, rebellious and free periodical and mainly covers nautical happenings on the Queensland coast... and beyond.

Brisbane is a lovely riverfront city with a rich history, diverse culture, excellent restaurants and pretty girls. I liked it so much that I married somene from there!

Ozzy Ozzy Ozzy Oi Oi Oi!

Cheers Mate!

Kirk

Old 06-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
Admiral

Manly is a bit far South of Brisbane, but it has probably 4 different marinas/yacht clubs. There is a train that runs up to Brisbane, so it's easy to get around.

The Mooloolaba Yacht Club has closed, I understand. But further up the canals, in Buddina, is Lawry's Marina, a nice place to stop for a while with a very good yard - it's where Watermelon got her full refit, the addition of 3 feet to her stern, and her beautiful hard dodger. I assume the sailmaker, former cruisers, are still there. I loved the people there, but if your friends don't need any work done, I would agree that Brisbane is the place to spend time.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:42 AM   #4
Ensign

G'day folks. I live in Brisbane and do most of my sailing around Moreton Bay. The Bay is a fantastic place and is surrounded by numerous Islands. It can be a bit shallow in places but take your time and you shouldn't have any problems. There are several marinas but the stay up the river on the piles is fantastic. Million dollar views at a small price. As for the Islands Stradbroke and Moreton are fantastic. Brisbane is a popular stopover during the Cyclone( Hurricane) season. You can sail down to the Gold Coast through the bay but to be honest Surfers Paradise is a tourist mecca and there fore it rates very low an the scale for locals, but you have to go there to check it out at least once and usually thats enough. Going North Mooloolaba is the first stop. The Mooloolaba yacht club is still open and this is a great part of the world. After that keep going north and there is a lot of great cruising. Beware though our customs regs are quite strict when arriving by yacht and in a recent case very embarrasing. It's all to do with notifying them before you get here. Get it wrong and you are in for a big fine. So check it out first.

Hope this helps.

By the way we like Canadians
Old 06-04-2007, 02:53 AM   #5
Ensign

By the way check out this website.

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
oneman

G'day Dave,

I've been hiding in the closet just reading and learning from everyone on this site as there really is a wealth of knowledge out there and it's all good to us newbies.

Couldn't resist getting back to you about Brizzie though since I've lived here over 30 years and know it pretty well like the back of my hand.

Triton is spot-on in what he says. It's all good here. I was up at Mooloolaba a couple of weeks ago and it's still thereb alright. Great stop-over if you're heading North. Hervey Bay is another one, just a little bit tricky to get in and out of. Check out the our.brisbane.com website as it is full of useful info.

There are plenty of anchorages at various spots along the Brisbane River but none would beat the one outside the Botanical Gardens. Cheap, reasonably secure due to its location with reasonable ammenities laundry/shower etc.

There's plenty of work in Brisbane at the moment if you're that way inclined and a bloke with your quals would easily find work within a couple of days, otherwise like Kirk says there's plenty of restaurants, bars and pretty girls.

If I can be of assistance when you arrive feel free to give me a yell!!

More than happy to help out!!

Sam
Old 06-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
tankgirl

Hi,

Just wanted to tell you about about a few favorite places....

There is a mud bank, maybe 25 feet or so deep on the edge, across from the downtown Brisbane river pilings. You'll see other small boats on moorings there. We anchored there for two weeks as the pilings were full. Still used the dock by the pilings to get ashore. The current took us directly up and down stream with nearly no swing to interfere with the moored boats and to still stay out of the ferry traffic.

Also, one can take bread to the garden at night a feed cute, frisky possums.

Moreton Island, if I remember the name correctly, has beautiful sand dunes on its eastern side. You can anchor in 40 feet or so on the drop-off in a bowl shaped area near them. The water does get shallow fast here, but it's easy to see. The dunes are great for exercise and you get a nice view of the bay. You can pull your dink up on shore and just anchor it remembering to allow for the tide.

The pass between Moreton Bay and the Gold Coast is fun, too. Shallow yes, but we went through it half a dozen times without getting hung-up. There are lots of neat anchorages in there, but beware the mozzies! I think it was Stradbroke Island that had the wallabies all over it and you can anchor in sand along the beach up and down the east side. Lots of weekend traffic here. You'll see cool little, round blue crabs by the thousands that do a disappearing spiral-digging act as you walk along with them and then return from their hidey hole moments later. Decent crabbing if you pick up a crab-pot...we used sardine cans with a small hole to let the juices seep out slowly.

Watch the afternoon thunder storms! We had a 60 knot blast just outside the entrance to the marina in Wynnum. Total white out of rain and we dragged three anchors in a little circle just off the breakwater.

Most of all, the people and other yachties are just plain great. Interesting characters of all sorts and an outstanding sense of humor. Love that place. Avid boaters too and much different then the states where most boats stay in the marina.

Have fun!

J
Old 06-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
tankgirl

...on the above I should of said west coasts of Moreton and Stradbroke...duh!....apologies....

J
Old 06-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #9
Ensign

Hi there,

Further info on the pile moorings in the Brisbane River - no time limit you pay week by week approx AU$70.00, just pick up an empty pile mooring but you will need your own mooring lines for tie up and the very inside piles are shallow at low tide. Moreton Island, Stradbroke Island, Peel Island, Coochiemudlo Island all have very anchorage depending on the weather on the day. All the marinas in Moreton Bay are only about 2m deep at low tide so if you have have deep keel take care with navigation especially if you travel inland through Jacobs Well to get to the Gold Coast. The largest anchorage area on the Gold Coast has a seven day limit for anchorage if you exceed this limit you will be fined AU$150.00. There are 2 other anchorages on the Gold Coast which accommodate most vessels but are subject the more wash from traffic especially on a weekend. Hope your Brisbane visit will be great. Smooth Sailing

Jackiy

'Behemoth'
Old 06-14-2007, 08:30 AM   #10
Commander

hope you enjoy Australia. Re Mooloolaba yacht club, it is in financial trouble and the liquidators and courts are involved. The marina is owned seperately from the yacht club and that is still functioning with the addition of two more fingers. Anchoring and living aboard at Mooloolaba for more than a few days is frowned apon, more than 5 days brings a heafty fine. The 'powers that be' aren't that 'friendly' and no reason to have to stay longer is good enough - wexcept maybe a cyclone!!! The piles in Brisbane as you have read are excellent and it is a friendly city.

While in Aus take the time to go north, it is magic and well worth the run up with plenty of night anchorages along the way and a great cruising ground.

Regards

Pete r
Old 08-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #11
Ensign

Manly Is a good bet to start with,

Train into Brisbane $3.90 all day pass off peak so that will get ya on the bus and city cat.

Good local Amenities, shops and a medium village feel. See how it goes and head up to Scarborough marina for a change.

Manly is a good distance to some great sailing areas of interest. any further north and its to far from anything of interest.

Anything on Brisbane river and you talking an hour or more of hard motoring to get out.

Google the two and see if anything floats ya boat.

Tags
australia, brisbane