Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-22-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
Ensign

Default wintering in SW Spain

We are considering wintering afloat in 2006-7 in Seville or perhaps Cadiz and would be glad to hear from anyone who has done so. We are interested in your experience generally and whether there is a low cost marina or a suitable anchorage within cycling distance or a short public transport trip to either city? Is security much of an issue?

Old 11-23-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
Flying Anchor

ozzietars

I used to live in Rota, just a stones throw (about 30 klicks)from Cadiz. I remember that the city of "Puerto De Santa Maria" had a marina. This is the same city that Columbus reportedly sailed from on his fateful voyage to discover the "New World". Also, Rota Navel Base also has/had a marina although it was fairly small and I am not sure that they allowed non military to rent or anchor there. I simply don't know. As far a Cadiz goes I can't answer your question.

Steven
Old 11-23-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Hi Ozzie Tars,

Never yet been up to Seville but understand they have limited mooring space.

Have stopped over at Peurto America's in Cadiz itself a couple of times and it is remote from Cadiz City centre and I would guess - not 100% secure especially in the off season.

Have had good feedback on the smaller ports on the north side of Cadiz Bay - but no personal experiences to pass over.

You could also consider sliding further along westward. Achorage up the Guardinero (not sure I've spelt that correctly but the river twix Spain / Portugal) is reputed to be safe - or on further to Portimao on the Portugese Algave.

IMHO S Portugal seems to be generally better value than SW Spain.

The Imray Pilot Books give a good overview so it may be worth sourcing one?

Cheers

JOHN
Old 11-23-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
Commander

Ozzie, we've spoken with many cruisers in that area (we're wintering in Lisbon and so haven't made it quite that far yet...) and Seville, while a wonderful venue for wintering, has limited dockage and is expensive. Rota gets rave reviews from everyone we've spoken to, and the prices seemed reasonable. Portimao and also Lagos are also popular and seem well received.

The river John mentions (I can't spell it either...) has lots of current and limited dockage; it may (or may not, opinions seem to vary a bit) be a good stop but not a wintering location from what we've heard.

For a lot more detail on all these options (and many more) consider purchasing a copy of the SSCA's CD of the last 10 years of Bulletins. It is easily searched using Adobe Reader (e.g. 'marinas spain' or 'wintering spain') and it's great value; far cheaper than an Imray guide. ssca.org, go to 'store', go to 'pubs'.

Jack
Old 11-28-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks to Steven, John and Jack for your helpful replies. We have a ten year old pilot book but others' experiences count for a lot. Will try and get hold of SSCA's CD of past bulletins.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:58 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

Hi Ozzie Tars,

Just so you know the anchorage in Portimao which is inside the main harbour mouth is reputed to be good spot.

When we stopped there and spoke with some who had been at anchor for two years they reported when the very worst winter storms came through from the south, the staff at Portimao Marina opposite invited them in for the duration.

Maybe worth having that backup to a freebie anchorage.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 11-29-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
Gord May

The Guadiana River (Rio Guadiana), rising in the La Mancha Plateau, E Spain, flows west through central Spain, then south, forming part of the Spanish-Portuguese border (except for a swing into Portugal), to the Gulf of Cádiz (Golfo de Cadiz) in the Atlantic Ocean. Although one of the longest rivers of the Iberian Peninsula, it is only navigable to Mértola, 40 mi (60 km) upstream.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
Ensign

I spent last winter at a marina in Ayamonte, which is at the mouth of the river Guadiana and on the border between Spain and Portugal. However, friends anchored nearby on the river have been there happily for several years. The current is not as strong near the mouth of the river and it is also much warmer near the sea. You will still definitely need a heater.

I have also anchored and tied to a mooring about 20 miles up the river near the twin villages whose names escape me right now. They are lovely and really worth the trip, but I was concerned by the huge islands of cania (cane) floating up and down the river each day with the tide plus the freezing temperatures to remain all winter. The cane would surround my boat and put incredible pressure on the anchor as well as scratching the hull. There are some docks available but are often full.

Cadiz is lovely and the marina America about a half hour walk from the city. I didn't find security a problem. Definitely more to do and see than Ayamonte or up the river. I wouldn't risk anchoring near Cadiz in winter. Haven't been to Seville.

This winter I am near Barcelona. If you want to spend next winter at the downtown marina, you need to reserve NOW.

"What's important in life is not how many breaths we get to take, but those moments that take our breath away"

Jacques Cousteau
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #9
n/a

Hi ausietars,I picked up a yacht from Isla de Christina about 25km from Ayamonte for delivery to Turkey, Ayamonte seemed a pleasant enough place, and safe, although rammed with fishing boats, good atmosphere I dont know what the marina fee,s are I didn,t ask being as I wasnt paying. its only 40mins from Faro airport , which makes life a bit easier if you want to go anywhere, marina America in Cadiz is also good with plenty to see and do , good market, a kilo of fresh gambas cost me about £4 I would pay that for 1/2 dozen in rip off Britain, hope this helps. good luck, Denno.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #10
n/a

Hi again, sorry I was refering to Isla de Christina in my last message, although I didn,t dislike Ayamonte either, the odd bum here and there ,but there again they are most places these days. happy sailing. Denno.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #11
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Yes....I've heard the Spanish have odd bums. DF

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:26 AM   #12
Ensign

In that region, I know Portuguese and Spanish Marinas well.

The best Algarve Marinas (Lagos, Portimão, Albufeira, Vila Moura) cost almost the double of Andalucia State Marinas (in Cadiz it would be Port Cherry). If you do not have money problems, choose Lagos, a very nice town, a very good marina and the best place to leave the boat out of water (with electronic vigilance).

If you want the less expensive in a nice town, choose Figueira da Foz on the west coast of Portugal. It is a good marina and it will cost you 1/3 of the price of the Algarve Marinas and you have a train to Coimbra (30kms), one of the most interesting Portuguese towns .

Tags
spain