Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: coos bay
Default from Hawaii to Otegon

I';ve decided to give up powerboating and buy a sailboat. How easy would it be to sail from Hawaii to Oregon for a guy that has never sailed?

Old 09-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The trip you are considering is a tough one if you only have inshore experience on a small powerboat. If you are a seaman who has taken your powerboat to sea for an extended period, and if you have experience in the sort of storms which you can't run away from, all you need to do is learn how to sail. That is the easy part.

The fact is that everyone who has crossed an ocean had to do it for the first time once. An acquaintance who had sailed a Hatteras 60 sports fishing cruiser for many years made the change to sail. He had been sailing his boat to all the big fishing tournaments in Australia and was a true mariner. He bought a 48 foot sloop to do a circumnavigation of the globe and set out after a season spent learning the ropes and ultimately returned to Darwin after three years with many a tale to tell, but with no problems other than those which would be resolved by any other sailor.

There are a lot of differences between sail power and engine power. The boat behaves differently, doesn't go where you want to go with just a turn of the wheel, and it can't get up and plane away from bad weather. It takes some additional skill to operate a sailboat, but with the addition of a little extra knowledge and a seaworthy yacht, the skill and character which marks you as a seaman will get you across the big blue in a remarkably similar way.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

Auzzee has given a lot of pointers. I'd add that most cruisers do not take the bee-line to Oregon but would go more via the Alaska direction or even do some R&R there. Then catch the current and winds going S along the W-coast to OR or CA. The direct route is shorter but tough I believe, due to currents and wind or the lack of. Jimmy Cornell's book on World Cruising Routes has info on this and also the seasonally important weather issues.

How about taking on a knowledgeable sailboat crew for OJT? If nothing else they can help with the rowing.

Ivo s/v Linnupesa
Old 09-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Numerous West Coast sailors do HI to PNW (BC, WA, or OR) but they do arc around the Pacific High--meaning they may feel like they're headed to Japan or Alaska before making it to their destination. It commonly takes sailors about five weeks to sail from HI to WA.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: coos bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnupesa View Post
Auzzee has given a lot of pointers. I'd add that most cruisers do not take the bee-line to Oregon but would go more via the Alaska direction or even do some R&R there. Then catch the current and winds going S along the W-coast to OR or CA. The direct route is shorter but tough I believe, due to currents and wind or the lack of. Jimmy Cornell's book on World Cruising Routes has info on this and also the seasonally important weather issues.

How about taking on a knowledgeable sailboat crew for OJT? If nothing else they can help with the rowing.

Ivo s/v Linnupesa
Yes, good advice. A couple of years ago I had similar thoughts and got the impression one had to go north then down the coast. Just a thought and I think I need lots more sail and blue water experience before attempting such a venture. Experianced crew an excellent idea. Thanks you.. and everyone for being patient with a less than novice aspireing sailor like me.

God bless

Tags
hawaii