Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-16-2006, 04:10 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Living aboard in the BVI

My wife and I will be retiring in a year. We are considering living aboard in the BVI for the winter months. We currently live in the U.S. and are also considering living aboard in southern Flordia. We now have a sailboat on the Great Lakes and live on it most of the sailing season. The plan is to keep the current boat and our house here and winter on a boat we will be purchasing south. Any input on either location or things to consider would be helpful.

Thanks

Danny

Old 11-16-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

Hi Danny, The BVI's are a very pretty place to stay. I can recommend the Marina at Nanny Cay as a bit of an upscale place. It is a little pricey compared to my usual haunts in South East Asia, but relatively inexpensive compared to Southern California. Some places I probably wouldn't recomend would be the marina in Road town - close to town but a bit to noisey and industrial for my tastes. The marina at Maya cove is not too bad but a little open to the south, and very busy with sunsail charters. If you are looking for an agent to find a boat for you I can recomend Carol Robinson at Multihull in Nanny Cay.

dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:07 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot

Danny, Immigration in BVI will probably only give you a month when you arrive. After that, the option is to drop down to USVI for a day or so then clear back in when you'll be given another month. Dont do it too often as Immigration rapidly wise up to what's going on. Alternatively you can, near the end of your first month, go to see Immigration and ask for an extension. You may (or may not) get it. The right attitude is very important with our "Immigrators" and being nice is the only way to go. Take a book if you go to the office; you're gonna be there a lo o o ng time! Over a month, Customs are going to hit you up for Temporary Importation ($200) which is good for a year. If you are going to cruise around the BV islands, you'll also want to go to the National Parks Trust for their cruising permit, unless its gone up recently it is a decal which you stick on your transom and costs $50/year. Look me up when you arive!! Tony
Old 11-22-2006, 09:46 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Danny,

I'm certainly no expert, but...

If you're a Yank... why not base your boat in the USVI?

The distance between Tortola & St John is less than a mile and (in my opinion) should be considered as one island group.

I mean - on a clear day, one can see Virgin Gorda AND Puerto Rico from a mountain top on St Thomas!

The pace of life is certainly more laid back in the BVI and I'd personally prefer to live there (instead of the USVI) if I could find a decent job and get through the beaucratic hoops.

However - it is considerably more affordable and easier for an American to be based in St Thomas and cruise the British Virgin Islands and / or Spanish Virgin Islands whenever the notion suits you.

Florida is another world alltogether.

You decide.

Kirk
Old 11-22-2006, 09:49 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

Tony,

Where can I find you next time I come over to the BVI?

We (my wife & son & Aye) live aboard & work on the East End of St Thomas... near the Boat Yard.

Kirk
Old 11-22-2006, 11:16 PM   #6
Ensign

Thank you for the suggestions. Being based in the USVI does make sense. We have been to both and did perfer the BVI's. I will be making a trip down in the fall of 07 to purchase the boat and find a home base.

Danny
Old 11-23-2006, 01:52 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by Gallivanters

Tony,

Where can I find you next time I come over to the BVI?

We (my wife & son & Aye) live aboard & work on the East End of St Thomas... near the Boat Yard.

Kirk
Best thing to do is call me on my cell 284 496 7382 which I always carry with me (how sad is that!) Otherwise I am either skippering local waters charters or on delivery: which is a bit silly really as my Trade Licence here is for Yacht Management & Guardiennage! T
Old 11-23-2006, 09:58 PM   #8
Ensign

Kirk,

Could you give me an idea of what slip or mooring costs are in your area. It would be for a 34' or 36' monohull. Thanks

Danny

Tags
bvi, living aboard