Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > Pets, Children & Guests
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: st Peter port
Default Sailing courses...with kids

Hello All,

We are looking for some advise of how to start are sailing adventure, we are thinking of taking a year out to sail in three to five years time along with our son (who is just a baby now). Between now and then we want to become qualified sailors, I have limited experience sailing and my wife has none, however both been around boats for a long time. We like the sound of the intensive courses but we were wondering if there are any that accommodate couples with young children? or if we would need to build up our experience on a number of shorter courses?

We would love to hear from anyone with tips on sailing with youngsters and advice on where to start training?

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: Ballard
Vessel Name: VAGABON
Default sailing with kids

Leave the child with someone, and focus on you first and the wife second. If you can get a good foundation under you, you can share what you know with her. I am making an assumption your motivation is greater than hers, if I am wrong she goes too.

If she goes, consider getting her some lessons separate from your own. Women learn differently than men. I think you will see a pattern, where something you are not so hot at, she is really good at it.

Having a toddler onboard while learning to sail, sounds like a big distraction. Hopefully you have family that can spell you, and can care for the child.

Then go sailing a lot, repeat, go sailing a lot. The more you go, the more comfortable it gets. Don't let the naysayers make it sound like rocket science, it is not.

DW

PS: If you are talking about cruising, you will need to get moving to meet your goals.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Rohuneeme

I believe everything is possible. I was just looking for similar info, and found that we have a summer sailing camp here in Estonia, but it's only ages 8 and up (leaving my younger one out). As an unschooler, my logic tells me take the courses and start teaching your kids sailing terminology, signal flags, etc. at home until they are old enough to take a formal course or camp.

I just found this website, which looks like is by a sailing family with quite small children and might have some nice tips: Sailing with Kids

and this interactive story and game http://www.alexlearnstosail.com/

Tags
sail, sailing