Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Skybird
Default The Caribbean in 5 years.

I'm/We are just getting started. We have a 37' sailboat. My boyfriend has been sailing for almost 10 years here in the Pacific North West and our dream? To sail to the Caribbean of course. We believe that we are being realistic about it. Planning, saving, studying. He is the expert and I'm just learning. So I have some questions to throw out there.
1. How long will it take? (Note: I realize, of course, that this depends on weather, time spent in each port, any unexpected delays but I'm just looking for a ball park figure.)
Many more to come. . .
Thanks!

Old 09-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: millisle
Smile the caribbean in 5 years

hi,

my wife and i are 2 years into our planning for a similar journey of adventure - so we may cross, paths us travelling from bangor co.down northern ireland and u from ?,

anyway to answer u question how long will it take - as long as it needs, because in the fraternity of which u now are members, time becomes suffice - hail all blue cruisers!!!!!!!

fair wind on your journey.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Skybird
Default Adventure!

Thanks for the reply!
And that, i believe, is the beauty of a trip like this.
You can truly take all the time you need!
We will just be traveling from the Seattle area down along the coast.
No ports of choice yet but like I said we are just getting started.

Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made. - Robert N. Rose
Old 09-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cheyenne, WY
Vessel Name: CAREFREE
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Roughly speaking, you have about a 5000 mile journey awaiting you: 1500 to San Diego / 3000 more to the Panama Canal / 500 + to your destination in the Caribbean. Take your time and plan well in segments. Wait for weather windows. This is supposed to be fun! Beware of the hurricane season in the Caribbean and western Mexico: June through November, with the worst being August-September. Be sure to have a "hurricane hole" within easy reach during that time. Use "local knowledge" along the way, but don't forget who is responsible for the boat. Most importantly, enjoy yourselves! gts1544
Old 09-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Welcome to Cruiser Log RedheadedSailor. While you are planning your trip lease take a look to our Cruiser's Guide wiki, even better contribute your knowledge.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

The longer you take the better it will be. Don't forget to take some time in the Sea of Cortez. People spend years there.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

So many people tell me about how good is the Sea of Cortez. It worries me. Trim advised me to forget the Coconut Milk Run and just stay in the SoC, and so many others express the sentiment that it is cruising heaven.

I must be strong!
But I do love a good taco.
And burritos are pretty darned good.
And then there are margureritas and tequila.

What I don't need is to be told that the senoritas are all gorgeous and compliant and......stuff like that.

Must-be-strong....must-sail-westward.........

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

It's the American and Canadian girls you need to watch out for. The Mexican girls are mostly pretty nice, but the more northerly ladies who are far from home and on vacation and maybe drinking too much are the real trouble.

I can give you some information if you want. If you are in the SF bay area first, I can tell you what I know over one or three bottles of Mexican beer.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
Admiral

Hee hee....sounds like a plan!

Old 09-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #10

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Auzzee,

You owe it to yourself to forget about that milk run for a while--come up here and sail along the North American west coast, check out the scenary, of course enjoy the Sea of Cortez as your very first thing since you'll be there shortly, enjoy Mexico. Only after you've seen what you can see here, maybe you'll be ready to go somewhere else!

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Auzzee,

Nobody else needs to come here... It is already getting crowded! Redbopeep can't come because her boat is wood and we have warm-water critters that eat wood! I sailed here... and that proves it; Anyone can sail here! See-Nothing left to prove.

But if you come, Bring some of those senioritas... There are 5 guys to every gal here! (St. Thomas only I think.) A gallon of Rum can be had for $8 US though!

For those in the planning stages, we will simply not encourage anyone to risk life and limb operating a motor-vehicle on our dangerous roadways... Nope- Get into your boat and sail this direction! Plan and prepare well, though looking around at who has made it here leads me to beleive that not all do, Then GET HERE! We may or may not still be here... But you do not need an air conditioner, nor a heater... Few places are like that year 'round.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #12
Admiral

The scarcity of the societal moderation provided by the fairer sex would tend to preclude my attendance. Perhaps you need to start a San Franciscan style Mardi Gras to keep the boys happy....Or perhaps there is a business opportunity awaiting...(WARNING: RACIAL STEREOTYPE FOLLOWS) after all I am in Thailand.

A recent worldwide survey by Durex Corp shows Thai men to be the world's most unfaithful husbands. It shows Thai women to be the world's second most unfaithful wives.
Disgusting!

Just looked at your little paradise on Google Earth. It certainly ticks most of the boxes. But, for someone who has promised not to traverse the isthmus via the Panama Canal, getting there from Mexico is quite a journey.

But who knows..Lighter fluid, er...rum at $8 a gallon!!!!

Tags
caribbean, length, pacific northwest, sailing, seattle