Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Ensign

What is happening to greexc is terrible, and makes me nervous about traveling to Australia. I don't want to get myself or anyone else in trouble. Here is my situation, if anyone has any input:

I will be traveling with two Australian cruisers from Fiji to Australia around Sept. I am an American citizen, and my boyfriend is a German citizen. I have no intention of staying in Australia for more than a couple months. However, I'm not sure how exactly I will leave Australia. We intend to find another vessel to leave on. We're not sure whether we will line this up in advance through the Internet, or whether we will try to find another cruiser to take us out of Australia after we get there.

First, do I have to apply for my tourist visa BEFORE I leave the USA (which I do tomorrow), when I have no exact idea when I will be there? Or can I apply from abroad?

Second, without prior proof of our plans to leave Australia in less than three months, such as proof of airline ticket purchase, will we be able to get in?

Thanks!

whedlesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:06 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by whedlesky View Post

What is happening to greexc is terrible, and makes me nervous about traveling to Australia. I don't want to get myself or anyone else in trouble. Here is my situation, if anyone has any input:

I will be traveling with two Australian cruisers from Fiji to Australia around Sept. I am an American citizen, and my boyfriend is a German citizen. I have no intention of staying in Australia for more than a couple months. However, I'm not sure how exactly I will leave Australia. We intend to find another vessel to leave on. We're not sure whether we will line this up in advance through the Internet, or whether we will try to find another cruiser to take us out of Australia after we get there.

First, do I have to apply for my tourist visa BEFORE I leave the USA (which I do tomorrow), when I have no exact idea when I will be there? Or can I apply from abroad?

Second, without prior proof of our plans to leave Australia in less than three months, such as proof of airline ticket purchase, will we be able to get in?

Thanks!
As an American -- VISA CONDITIONS

Old 06-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Whedlesky,

I hope this message reaches you before you leave. First, read this Wiki page:

http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Australia

I recently updated this to include links to all the necessary forms and procedures. You would normally be able to enter for 3 months by using a fax or email, and extend your visa for another 3 months after arrival. However, if you don't have a means of support or money for a fare out you are unlikely to be allowed to enter at all. Working on a tourist visa isn't allowable in any country I can think of, and without knowledge of regulations and customs your plan to hunt and fish to stay alive may end you and Kristian up in jail - or at the very least, the recipient of a heavy fine and/or the ire of the locals.

Traveling with no backup plan is foolhardy in the extreme. Anyhow, since you're already planning to leave the US may I wish you the best of luck.

In short your best, and maybe ONLY, chance for entry is to prearrange a transit out before arrival. You MUST give 96 hours notice of arrival but not necessarily from home, it can be done in transit and will normally be done by the captain. Even then, since your travels don't consist of paid employment, you may have to provide a contact address and show means of support while waiting for your next ride.

Rob (aka Haiqu)

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:24 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

Apply for your Australian Visa before departing Fiji. Tourist visa allows you a stay up to a year and costs about $105 AUD. A resident / working visa application costs around $1600. I applied while hauled-out in Vuda Point and was notified of the visa approval within a few days. I paid the fee with my Visa Card.

Most people stop in Vanuatu and / or New Caledonia enroute. The volcano erupting on Tanna in Vanuatu was spectacular!

We stopped in Noumea for a week and submitted our Prior Arrival Notice with the proper authorities in Australia online while eating a Big Mac, using the free WiFi connection at McDonalds... near the marina. I received confirmation of their having received it the same day.

We arrived at the Bundaberg Port Marina five days later, spent the night in a designated anchorage and went to the specified dock the next morning. Clearing in was not as bad as I'd been lead to believe.

Good luck and have fun!

Kirk

Tags
australia